Skip to content

Wil's under house find

To expand upon the addition of the Aussie King Kong's, I thought I'd show some of the other delights from the same soggy box :) 

Brief story, house flippers insulating under an old house, dropped down hatch to find a mass of old suitcases and cardboard boxes which the previous hoarder owner had stuffed down there after running out of space above. Obviously 60+ years of wet soil and mickeys hungry four legged friends took their toll and the bulk of it was skipped during the renovations 12 or so years ago.

In all some really nice bits and bobs (all in need of some TLC, which can come much later), I've still got one pack to go through, but think on top of the KK's, this is the better stuff, sadly I'm still yet to come across the top 2/3's of the Thing Aussie 3Sh, although the owner thinks his ex wife has it, therefore TBC....

To avoid upsetting folks, i'll add a list of titles later, its late here and the Mrs is over it :) Or a good Samaritan can add what they can whilst I sleep. 

Anyone got the top bit of the Thing? That said, I still think this section looks pretty good on its own.

Also this oddity, a hacked OS painted over with a lovely title! (salvaged from skip pile)

Comments

• Wil, I'll say this.

You are a dead set dog. That's frigging awesome!!!!

Son of Frankenstein set with The Spider (1945) hummm good choice but like you said ....very odd! 

• Calcutta is awesome and Adams Rib reminds me of MASH.
  • Matt said:
    Wil, I'll say this.

You are a dead set dog. That's frigging awesome!!!!

Son of Frankenstein set with The Spider (1945) hummm good choice but like you said ....very odd! 

Thanks mate, I'm not familiar with dead set dogs, but I'll take that as a compliment  ;)

definitely a fair few db's I'd never seen before, plus some nice Disney odds and sods. A pity the cinderellas were obviously subjected to water etc. but pretty sure they're rare. 

Gutted about the three sheet. They said they skipped some wet boxes, so likely in those. There's actually 2 of the lower sections in my pile. 
  • Matt said:
    Calcutta is awesome and Adams Rib reminds me of MASH.
    MASH? :) nice looking (albeit dirty) poster, sadly the left edge is chewed out, but still presentable.
  • Bloody fricken awesome Will!...what a thrill ride! Look forward to seeing more  :)
  • Sven said:
    Bloody fricken awesome Will!...what a thrill ride! Look forward to seeing more  :)
    The rest is pretty scrappy, major restoration on most and not huge titles, also a stack of stills, some nice portraits of leading ladies, plus for some reason a lot of bond press sheets.
  • edited October 2018
    The Outlaw 50's RR isn't as nice as Johns OR One Sheet, but nice to see the alterations to the text and rating.

Also a pity the portrait isn't as sharp as his and of course it would habe been nice if they mimicked the re-release daybill design. 
  • HONDO said:

The Son Of Frankenstein mishmash was originally The Spider ( 1945 ), as seen above.

Great find. A half a dozen  of the  daybills I haven't seen before, and a very rare one that I will talk about soon.
    Thanks Lawrence, funnily enough I thought you'd like some of those. The Disney and full bleed titles I was mighty pleased with, plus throw in the kongs and Outlaw and it was worth the three flights over 2 weeks.

• This is rare daybill that I have never seen before. What I believe makes it special is that United Artists released Saludos Amigos in Australia. In the U.S.A. and around the world RKO Radio Pictures appeared to have released it, and also I haven't been able to locate anywhere else in the world that the two films were screened together.

The Outlaw 1950's re-release is an important acquisition as it is the only one sheet of this title I am aware of. It just happened to be designed and printed by F. Cunninghame, but hey life's not perfect. 
  • HONDO said:

The Outlaw 1950's re-release is an important acquisition as it is the only one sheet of this title I am aware of. It just happened to be designed and printed by F. Cunninghame, but hey life's not perfect. 
    @Hondo I was going to add this to my earlier comment (unfortunate choice of printer), that said, from a distance I intially thought it was of a higher standard. 

As for the Disney double bill I had a sneaking suspicion that would be your standout daybill, I couldn't find a thing on it anywhere else, infact even finding  Victory through air power on its own drew a blank. 

I take it the Cinderella is a first release?
  • HONDO said:

The Son Of Frankenstein mishmash was originally The Spider ( 1945 ), as seen above.

Great find. A half a dozen  of the  daybills I haven't seen before, and a very rare one that I will talk about soon.
    Thanks Lawrence, funnily enough I thought you'd like some of those. The Disney and full bleed titles I was mighty pleased with, plus throw in the kongs and Outlaw and it was worth the three flights over 2 weeks.
    King Kong, The Outlaw, Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs and the other Disneys, along with the Richardson Studio titles are great and I also like the rare film noir title The Lone Wolf In Mexico. You must be still smiling. 
    \

• edited October 2018
    @Hondo I was smiling more until the ex wife turned up and pulled some nice titles from the pile that I'd spent 7 hours going through with the husband (they'd researched most of the titles based on original release US one sheets, so it was a painful day towards the end). I did have a minty Outlaw RR daybill that's now destined for her sons bedroom.
  • edited October 2018
    Oh and two Kongs, the sniped one I posted the other day and a clean one (still no Aussie decal)  B)B)
  • @Hondo I was smiling more until the ex wife turned up and pulled some nice titles from the pile that I'd spent 7 hours going through with the husband (they'd researched most of the titles based on original release US one sheets, so it was a painful day towards the end). I did have a minty Outlaw RR daybill that's now destined for her sons bedroom.
    That would put a damper on things a bit then.

• I take it the Cinderella is a first release?

Yes it is and I cannot recollect ever seeing one before, so you have another rare one there.
  •  

A real pity about this one Wil.
  • edited October 2018
    HONDO said:

A real pity about this one Wil.
    You're not wrong Lawrence. Didn't think a great deal of it at the time, purely liked the large red rating decal. The second one is a tad tattier, but just as bold. 

A crying shame that the two upper halves have likely been skipped.
  • Wow!  Congrats...
  • I find it interesting that that there continues to be piles and piles of material found in Australia.  

I am guessing this has something to do with cinemas stockpiling vs say a national screen service leasing posters and them being located in corporate stockpiles?
  • Wowzer! What a great find! So many great looking DB’s! 

San Francisco, Cptn Eddie, and the Disney’s are wonderful! Congrats! :plus_one:

yeah, your likely right Charlie, not many under the floorboard finds in US.... :s
  • HOLY WOW, what a great post!!!
  • Awesome Wil - thanks for sharing!  Happy you were able to save what you could - the fact there were some nice titles (and some never seen before) in there is just a bonus.

These under the floor/behind the walls/in a shed finds fascinate me  =)
  • Charlie said:
    I find it interesting that that there continues to be piles and piles of material found in Australia.  

I am guessing this has something to do with cinemas stockpiling vs say a national screen service leasing posters and them being located in corporate stockpiles?
    To be honest NZ theatres were still expected to return all the advertising material (many of the posters or Daybills I have have instructions stamped on them from the distributor to do just that), hence why so many NZ used posters and lobby's are littered with pin or staple marks from repeated use.

I just think it was poorly enforced here, with some studios better at policing it than others. The Outlaw one sheet above is a repeated use example with a mass of staple marks.

The old owner of this house owned a theatre for many years and along with sodden boxes of posters were projectors, 35mm film reels and even unused sealed packets of money (coin rolls and bundles of notes marked with the theatres details). The house flippers said some $1200 in total. 

Everthing else was sold many years ago, but they kept the dry posters for a rainy day they said. I also picked up a bag of old grey paper 3D glasses. I always assumed from my childhood use that they always had blue and red lenses, these were all clear.
  • Wowzer! What a great find! So many great looking DB’s! 

San Francisco, Cptn Eddie, and the Disney’s are wonderful! Congrats! 
    HOLY WOW, what a great post!!!
    Thanks guys, definitely a busy two weeks locking this in. Studio C will definitely be getting a few more sent their way once Psycho and Ice Cold make their way back.
  • A remainder of the nice ones. Some obviously in a bad way.

I've since taken better photos of the two Kong's, however as I can see them 'doing the rounds' so to speak, I've watermarked both images with my business web address, therefore as I don't pay to advertise on this forum (like John etc.) it would not be appropriate to post them here.

I will at some point add them to my business facebook page later today for those who would like to see them.

As for my earlier question regarding the use of the two snipes on one poster and none on the other, The snipe stuck to the flames at the top has since fallen off, so obviously not originally intend to be placed there, the lower one however is firmly stuck in place. On that note there was another identical snipe in the box, so at some point there must have been a third example of the poster in storage.

Also as requested Lawrence, below is a close up of the printers details on Kong, appologies for the delay.

• Forbidden Street is fantastic!
  • Forbidden Street is fantastic!
    Agree and think that the alternative title (Britannia Mews) is a bit of a tight squeeze!
  • More wonderful artwork! Really liking those Westerns! 
  • edited October 2018
    More wonderful artwork! Really liking those Westerns! 
    So did their sons, they routinely pinned some to their bedroom walls, once majorly sun bleached, out they went.

The Thing upper sections went the same way in the husbands room  :s  He told me that one was pinched and the the other was ripped off the wall by a gust of wind, so in a fit of rage he destroyed it. Such a bloody waste.

• What this  remaining portion of Wil's Australian 3 sheet poster of The Thing would have resembled in it's original complete form, appears below in the U.S.A. 3 sheet image,.