Skip to content

Wil's under house find

Comments

• More wonderful artwork! Really liking those Westerns! 
    So did their sons, they routinely pinned some to their bedroom walls, once majorly sun bleached, out they went.

The Thing upper sections went the same way in the husbands room  :s  He told me that one was pinched and the the other was ripped off the wall by a gust of wind, so in a fit of rage he destroyed it. Such a bloody waste.

Very cool! But yes, too bad so much sun exposure.... :|
  • @Hondo Certainly a crying shame they were both destroyed. Would have been nice to see how the red detail of the main lettering stood up against the US version.
  • edited November 2018

This daybill is certainly rare and I have never sighted it before. I believe it to be from the early 1940's. Woodland Cafe was originally a 1938 release in Australia.
  • edited November 2018
    HONDO said:

This daybill is certainly rare and I have never sighted it before. I believe it to be from the early 1940's.
    Nice to know Lawrence, I was also happy to snare a 20,000 Leagues 1st release as I almost bought a re-release the other day (the paper loss in the lower left corner is an easy fix)

• Curious about this one.
  • HONDO said:

Curious about this one.
    Same, sadly nothing else could be found and anything already pinned to the sons room was not for sale. 
  • HONDO said:

Curious about this one.
    Same, sadly nothing else could be found and anything already pinned to the sons room was not for sale. 
    This image appears to have a small white border on the bottom left hand side. Do you roughly know the measurements ?  I have a theory regarding the image shown which I am still thinking about.
  • To be honest it looked to be a central section of an Aussie 3 sheet with a border around its entirety. 
  • Above his bed.

• Some of the other tattier ones.

• To be honest it looked to be a central section of an Aussie 3 sheet with a border around its entirety. 

The mask drawn on post printing ?
  • And some slightly nicer ones.

• Keep them coming. Loving them.
  • Wise guy is fantastic Will! 
  • HONDO said:
    To be honest it looked to be a central section of an Aussie 3 sheet with a border around its entirety. 

No, from a quick glance it looked to be the original design.
  • That may be it for tonight, just a couple more to dig out, I believe Tarzan & Jungle Jim
  • HONDO said:
    To be honest it looked to be a central section of an Aussie 3 sheet with a border around its entirety. 

No, from a quick glance it looked to be the original design.

The central section of an Aussie 3 sheet you mentioned would support my thoughts regarding the title of the film 100%, but the non painted on mask comment would through a spanner into the works. Any chance , whenever convenient, that you may be able to have a closer look at the poster to confirm this for me?
  • HONDO said:

The central section of an Aussie 3 sheet you mentioned would support my thoughts regarding the title of the film 100%, but the non painted on mask comment would through a spanner into the works. Any chance , whenever convenient, that you may be able to have a closer look at the poster to confirm this for me?
    Sadly that remains on the sons wall and would involve a long flight Lawrence. I'll see if they could send a closer image through.
  • Sorry Wil I didn't realise they were a long way away.

Some good news for you. Although The Secret Fury Australian one sheet isn't in the best condition the one sheet is rare.
     I have never seen an image of one previously. 

This daybill is fairly common though.  A missing 3 sheet image.
  • Question without notice.

How many emails, PM's and phone calls have you had in regards to this windfall?

No names....just numbers?
  • Matt said:
    Question without notice.

More than ten, less than 30 ;) 

The Kong is obviously a popular one, however my genuine intention is to restore/back them both, then frame/display the sniped one (even though it has the central hole - but better overall) and archive number 2 (number three overall out there in think?).

3 Aussies and 5 State side are chomping at the bit for it, but will see how that pans out once restored. Next would be the full bleeds and Disney, with a couple of one offs trailing behind.
  • HONDO said:
    Sorry Wil I didn't realise they were a long way away.

Some good news for you. Although The Secret Fury Australian one sheet isn't in the best condition the one sheet is rare.
     I have never seen an image of one previously. 
    That's fine, I'm possibly off back next week, so will follow up if it pans out.

I also pulled out the daybill, but figured its been seen before from EMP.
  • A crying shame Donald Duck was missing his legs (must have upset Pluto!)

• Matt said:
    Question without notice.

More than ten, less than 30 ;) 

The Kong is obviously a popular one, however my genuine intention is to restore/back them both, then frame/display the sniped one (even though it has the central hole - but better overall) and archive number 2 (number three overall out there in think?).

3 Aussies and 5 State side are chomping at the bit for it, but will see how that pans out once restored. Next would be the full bleeds and Disney, with a couple of one offs trailing behind.
    Throw a few more chips on the windscreen then turn on the wipers...
  • On the subject of Kong, this section could have been drawn slightly better, as it appears impending doom has prompted this woman to become somewhat of an opportunist!

• A crying shame Donald Duck was missing his legs (must have upset Pluto!)

Ha ha. What makes things worse is the fact that the poster was originally a long daybill, and who knows if a rare Donald Duck title was originally printed on It.

• HONDO said:
    Ha ha. What makes things worse is the fact that the poster was originally a long daybill, and who knows if a rare Donald Duck title was originally printed on It.

Indeed, the one Bruce sold 5 years ago was mighty impressive.

• The Hockey Champ ( 1939 ) is another Donald Duck long daybill. Posters of this type are very few in number it appears.

• On the subject of Kong, this section could have been drawn slightly better, as it appears impending doom has prompted this woman to become somewhat of an opportunist!

Another reason to like this poster!!!
  • Again more nice Westerns, Wil! and That’s the Spirit is really cool! 

Some of the other tattier ones.