Skip to content

Wil's under house find

13»

Comments

• some great posters. There's mention of a King Kong poster - i must have missed that topic and i can't see a photo here. What's the poster?
  • Rick said:
    some great posters. There's mention of a King Kong poster - i must have missed that topic and i can't see a photo here. What's the poster?
    The one sheet partner to your daybill ?
  • Rick said:
    some great posters. There's mention of a King Kong poster - i must have missed that topic and i can't see a photo here. What's the poster?
    Added an image to the Aussie FB page and my own business page Rick. The images have my logo on, so not for here.
  • just saw it, thanks Wil
  • Rick said:
    just saw it, thanks Wil
    You're welcome :) 
  • Charlie said:
    I find it interesting that that there continues to be piles and piles of material found in Australia.  

I am guessing this has something to do with cinemas stockpiling vs say a national screen service leasing posters and them being located in corporate stockpiles?
    For example, most material has a 'please return' or 'property of' stamp like this set.

• A selection of some of the stills:

• And some nice booklets/flyers etc. including a large open up flyer for Born To Be Bad.

• Born to be Bad = Rock   =)

" Man bait" love that tag line!
  • HONDO said:

Curious about this one.
    The US one sheet for The Blazing Trail was in my pile, so possibly Charles Starrett?

• A few more:

The sole Kiwi in the mix:

Along with the severed Aussie One Sheet heads of Niven and Grant:

• edited November 2018
    Nice to see that early bonds were as much about merchandising as today.

• I notice The Blazing Trail is a U.S. A.poster and not Australian. In New Zealand they certainly used a mixture of Australian, U.S. and British one sheets for film releases there.
  • HONDO said:

I notice The Blazing Trail is a U.S. A.poster and not Australian. In New Zealand they certainly used a mixture of Australian, U.S. and British one sheets for film releases there.
    It sure makes hunting very interesting Lawrence.
  • Born To Be Bad - yeah!!
  • HONDO said:

This daybill is certainly rare and I have never sighted it before. I believe it to be from the early 1940's. Woodland Cafe was originally a 1938 release in Australia.
    @HONDO Maybe this information written on the rear will help you date it Lawrence? 

• HONDO said:

This daybill is certainly rare and I have never sighted it before. I believe it to be from the early 1940's. Woodland Cafe was originally a 1938 release in Australia.
    @HONDO Maybe this information written on the rear will help you date it Lawrence? 

It appears to be 1944.This year I have worked out based on the following -

Post 1940 based on poster size 13 x 30.

No RKO four stars on the poster making it post 1941 when the border was retained around RKO Radio Pictures logo on some posters for a short period of time and used without including the four stars, before the border was dropped. altogether surrounding the logo.

Being a stock poster it was most likely printed before details were added with the Woodland Cafe information.

Looking at calendar years Saturday 30 September happened to fall in 1944 to make it the logical year of the N.Z. release of your daybill poster.

• edited November 2018
    @Hondo Thanks Lawrence, I couldn't make out the wording under the date and assumed that title may give it away? I didn't actually think to check a calendar  :s

Also assumed it was later as the one Bruce sold a few years ago is presumed to be a 50's printing.
  • @Hondo Thanks Lawrence, I couldn't make out the wording under the date and assumed that title may give it away? I didn't actually think to check a calendar  :s

Also assumed it was later as the one Bruce sold a few years ago is presumed to be a 50's printing.

The badly hand written title I believe to be the 1933 Paul Robeson film Emperor Jones.A re-issue possibly of the film but not 100% certain though. That was my first thought as well to check the film's name. 

I just checked Bruce's website and I couldn't find it listed in the Auction History section, under the title or Silly Symphony.
  • HONDO said:
    I just checked Bruce's website and I couldn't find it listed in the Auction History section, under the title or Silly Symphony.
    Different title, however it stated that silly symphony cartoons were rerun in Australia in the 50's.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/4374715.html
  • HONDO said:
    Different title, however it stated that silly symphony cartoons were rerun in Australia in the 50's.

:

Yes Walt Disney's Silly Symphony cartoons were screened in the 1950's following on from 1940's screenings.The above three titles, Woodlands Cafe,Little Hiawatha & Three Little Pigs were all originally released in Australia in the 1930's. All these three films received screenings in Australia in 1942, the year in which I believe the RKO stock posters above were designed. I believe RKO had originally intended to have the 4 stars included with the logo but, didn't go ahead with that, after a decision was made to cease including the 4 stars around that period of time.

• HONDO said:

The Three Little Pigs was listed wrong. Our policy is to list stock posters under the stock title (In this case, "A Walt Disney Silly Symphony"), UNLESS the poster has art specific to one short named on it, and THEN we list it under the short title.

I will have Matt fix it. And while I am at it, Lawrence, should I make it R40s or R50s? Thanks!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    HONDO said:

The Three Little Pigs was listed wrong. Our policy is to list stock posters under the stock title (In this case, "A Walt Disney Silly Symphony"), UNLESS the poster has art specific to one short named on it, and THEN we list it under the short title.

I will have Matt fix it. And while I am at it, Lawrence, should I make it R40s or R50s? Thanks!

I would date it as being 1940's Bruce.
  • Thanks Lawrence!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited November 2018
    collectahollic said:

Along with the severed Aussie One Sheet heads of Niven and Grant:

A pity the original complete Australian one sheet of The Bishop's Wife ( 1947 ) hadn't been mutilated and still compete, as an Australian one sheet of this title is very rare and I have never sighted an image of one.

A similar posed image of the three stars on an existing Australian daybill of The Bishop's Wife.
  • edited November 2018
    HONDO said:
    collectahollic said
    A pity the original complete Australian one sheet of The Bishop's Wife ( 1948 ) hadn't been mutilated and still compete, as an Australian one sheet of this title is very rare and I have never sighted an image of one.

A similar posed image of the three stars on an existing Australian daybill of The Bishop's Wife.
    Nice detective work Lawrence. Certainly a nice looking daybill. 

Although quite sizeable and I originally believed them to be from a One Sheet, the matching fold line crease across Grants forehead leads me to believe mine are also from the daybill.