Skip to content

Two Simple Rules For Dating This Forum

edited July 2014 in Rules, We Have Some
We've got to have rules, for the most part it's called common sense and respect - for the rest of the rules, well we'll make it up as we go along ;), but we do need to have some boundaries so everyone know how this thing operates, so...

This is a self moderated freedom of speech sort of forum, but in these here parts we don't take kindly to a few things, so as long as you know...

1. Arguments
  • This is not Fight Club and sure, there is going to be clashes along the way that happens in forums. Our advice is get over it quickly and once it's over then don't bother bearing a grudge to start up again at the first opportunity, else we'll kick your ass right out the door.
  • If you must argue then argue the point not the person, full frontal attacks on people are tiresome and not tolerated.
  • Trolls: There are those that posts topics knowing full well it going to probably get an argumentative response and there are those who post replies that are simply argumentative, that is called Trolling. Please don't.
  • Abusive Behavior. As we said this is a self moderated forum, members here decide if something is considered abusive by member(s) they can click (anonymously) the 'Flag' button at the bottom left of the offending post (marking it as "Abuse" or "Spam") when 5 people flag the post the same way then that post is auto deleted. Simple, and effective way for a forum to be self moderated. Of course it it becomes a habit that your post is marked as such...
  • One person One account - we can't think of any good reason why you would need two unless it is to start an argument under the guise of someone else, so we'll delete it if you open up a second one.
2. Advertising
  • This forum is for collectors it is not for businesses to continually promote themselves by posting adverts, advertorials and/or infomercials in our forum.
  • If you have a business and you want to promote it we provide a section for you here
  • In the above section we allow a 600px X 150px banner and (maximum) 300 character description (plus title) - we will link your banner and/title to your website.
  • If you are in the "business" of course you are welcome to join, however you may not sign up using your business name as your members name - we'd prefer if you used your real name although we won't stop you from using a nom de plum but to be honest, this is just a poster forum not some secret government data mining facility.
  • We recommend you personalise your Profile Pic however your profile pic cannot be an advert. Adjust your profile pic by clicking the cog wheel top left beside your name, then click Change My Picture.
  • This forum does allows for personalised signatures and banners, so remember, the more you post the more times your (free) signature is seen - a good signature banners works!
  • Signature banners can be linked to your business (ask us if you don't know how) and are restricted to a maximum of 400px x 50px (width x height), that's big enough to showcase yourself and/or your business, here's an example of that size:

PLEASE NOTE: 
  • The banner sizes are maximum height and/or width - it doesn't have to be that size but it can't be bigger than those dimensions.
  • The banner size is the total signature size, in other words you can't "top it up" with additional text or space (with the exception of adding your name)
  • If you want to use a signature banner to promote something other than a poster outlet, that's fine, provided it is legal we have no issues.
  • If you participate in a discussion and simply use it to promote your business, we will ask you to stop. However, if members discuss your business then of course you are entitled to be a part of that discussion.
  • Please don't use your right to post as an opportunity to trash someone else's business.

Comments

• edited April 2014
    Just because Dave posted this on April 1, it doesn't mean he's joking. 

Any decision made regarding the nuts and bolts of the forum is backed by a 100% okey dokey from all the Mods.

These two simple rules will be enforced. I got an itchy trigger finger. I blame Clint Eastwood.

So Go Ahead Make My Day. ;)
  • edited July 2014
    Hi Team, I coundn't see anything about promoting a Facebook LIKE page?

Robbie
  • Yours or ours?
  • Too many tough guys?
  • Lol..... on this forum, as with my FB page you can post all ya want [-O<
  • edited July 2014
    I like these rules. But I have a question.

I have been on many different forums of all types over the years, and I have observed that, while trolls hurt forums a lot, the most damage is done by anonymous trolls. They tend to post in outrageous ways that no one would ever do if they had to sign their real names to the posts.

So my question is, how about banning anonymous users? I (and the other members) don't need to know who they are, but I think they should at least have to reveal themselves to the owners. Although I do wonder about how much useful contributing someone unwilling to share any personal details will be doing.

Just my thoughts, so feel free to ignore them!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Did we not post the new rules formally yet?
  • I thought what is at the start of this topic IS the rules. I am so confused!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Never mind David revised them. I knew he had posted them. Good catch Bruce!
  • Bruce said:
    I like these rules. But I have a question.

I have been on many different forums of all types over the years, and I have observed that, while trolls hurt forums a lot, the most damage is done by anonymous trolls. They tend to post in outrageous ways that no one would ever do if they had to sign their real names to the posts.

So my question is, how about banning anonymous users? I (and the other members) don't need to know who they are, but I think they should at least have to reveal themselves to the owners. Although I do wonder about how much useful contributing someone unwilling to share any personal details will be doing.

Just my thoughts, so feel free to ignore them!
    I agree with this totally.
  • edited July 2014
    The one person one account rule has been there for a while actually...and we have banned/deleted a number of second accounts etc already.

I am OK with people using pseudonyms, it's been the way of the world since letter to the editor started. Trolls are trolling comments are dealt with as soon as we can, no one can sign up without using a legit email address (as one has to confirm), other than asking for ID (which we won't obviously) then our way (which is tighter than most other forums) will works as best we can.

Don't forget members themselves can deal with trolls etc by simply click the icon under that person's comment (where it says flag and amrking appropriately) - admins are able to deal with problems if that persona gets multiple members 'flags'

Bottom line, nothing is perfect (including us), we can only do our best.
  • I like these rules.
    This is maybe why this forum will go places.
  • This is maybe why this forum will go places.
    You mean it isn't already?

World domination...look at the map - we're spreading out. 
    ;)
  • I have a question, am I considered a business if I'm just selling off a bunch of window cards and movie stills that I have inherited from my grandfather? I've never been a collector of vintage posters, I think the only posters I've ever owned was a Prince poster and a New Kids On The Block poster lol!! once I've sold most of what I have, except what I'm keeping for myself, I'll probably never sell another window card or movie still for as long as I live! So do I still have to follow the rules of selling or advertising? Just thought I would ask!
  • Oh thanks!
  • And your welcome. I don't want to get put in time out for breaking rules! :-S
  • It's worse than that...there's no mat to sit on here.
  • Do I have to sit on sharp pointy things? :((
  • I can't figure out that map thing! Can I not do it from my iPhone?
  • Oh never mind.... I think I figured it out now. *-:)
  • Probably not...it's an iPhone afterall
  • Hey nothing wrong with iPhones! But yea I couldn't get it to work until I got on my laptop!
  • I'll bump this for those that are new. ;)
  • Bump again...

We've been at it for a while now and I think us bunch are getting along very well. Let's keep it up! Pat on the back for everyone.