Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Banned In Australia Films

1235»

Comments

• HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    edited September 2019

The Devil Thumbs A Ride ( 1947 ) Original U.S.A. insert poster, and an Australian newspaper clipping from 1948. This film was banned in Australia in 1947, and then again rejected on appeal. 

One has to wonder what a magnificent Australian Simmons brightly coloured full bleed daybill would have looked like if the film had not been banned in Australia. 
    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Well this certainly answers one of my questions...
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

edited December 2019
    HONDO said:
                                                                                                                                  Film # 51. Of Mice And Men ( 1939 ). Produced by the Hal Roach Studios and released by United Artists. Banned in Australia in 1940 on sex and violence grounds. The censor eventually passed the film for exhibition and it was released in Australia on the 12th January 1955 by Snider And Dean Theatres Pty.Ltd., who were listed as the Australian distributor. I believe only limited bookings would have occurred and no Australian posters have been found that I am aware of.                         

An Australian film advertisement placed for screenings on its opening day s in Melbourne Victoria on February 5 1955. Previously screened in Sydney NSW January 12 1955. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                          

# 65. Tobacco Road ( 1941 ). The original U.S.A. one sheet shown above states  '' At last .... it's on the screen!''. Certainly it was in the U.S. and most likely the majority of the world where it was screened, but not so in Australia.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Trip ( 1967 ). This Roger Corman / A.I.P. film was banned in Australia in the late 1960's ( date unknown ), and most likely on drug and violence grounds

Never released theatrically in Australia. 

Resubmitted to the Australian censor in 1990, for the first time since the initial banning in the 1960's, and passed with an R certificate on videotape only.

Lawrence
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,779 admin
    edited December 2019
    HONDO said:

Image # 42.   

L'eau a la bouche ( aka A Game For Six Lovers ) ( 1960 ). From France.    

Banned by the Australian Censor in 1961 on sex grounds.  Apparently 6 lovers must have been too many.  

Never released theatrically in Australia to the best of my knowledge. 

Television screenings in Australia ( if any ) unknown.

Is available on an All Regions DVD.

I've got this poster!  Never thought it would pop up in a discussion...
    Post edited by Charlie on
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    Pancho said:
    HONDO said:

Film # 30.

The Plague Of The Zombies ( 1966 ).

Although nothing found in print I am 100% certain this film was banned by the Australian censor on horror grounds probably around 1966 or 1967. To the best of my knowledge this film was never released theatrically in Australia.

Was submitted by 20th Century Fox on 35mm and classified by the New Zealand censor on 15 -3-1966  as R13 ( with cuts ).

Television screenings ( if any ) in Australia unknown.

Was passed by the Australian censor and classified for DVD exhibition on 19-7-2004 with a M classification.

I have a feeling that Rick has a daybill for this film.

I am confident the film wasn't released in Australia.

The original U.S.A. insert poster. Is this possibly where Pancho's feeling came from, perhaps viewing this insert at some time or another in the past, and it does look a bit like a daybill. Rick if I could prevail upon you to reply with your response that would be great, as I would like to tidy this one up.
    Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Sorry, i don;t have a Plague of the Zombies daybill, though i would like one, if it exists.
    I am 100% certain that the film was banned in Australia completly, and therefore no daybill would exist.

There is of course a possibility that the New Zealand censor allowed the film into their country as they didn't seem to have problems with allowing horror films into the country there.

If this happened to have been the case a daybill possibly could exist, or at least a  poster of some other size possibility. The quality of the poster artwork could be a problem knowing New Zealand's dismal track record with producing mainly sub-stand film posters. 
    Lawrence

The Big Doll House

Directed by Jack Hill / 1971 / Philippines-USA / IMDb

In October 1971, an 8539-feet (95:53) print of THE BIG DOLL HOUSE was banned because of 'indecency'. MGM/BEF Distributors made an unsuccessful appeal to the Film Board of Review in November 1971. ( (refused-classification.com ).

An original U.S.A. one sheet from the 1971 release.

Eventually on August 25 2004 in Australia the film was passed and classified MA15+ on DVD.

This film was previously mentioned on another thread here on the forum, but have now included here in a more detailed form. 
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    HONDO said:

The Devil Thumbs A Ride ( 1947 ) Original U.S.A. insert poster, and an Australian newspaper clipping from 1948. This film was banned in Australia in 1947, and then again rejected on appeal. 

One has to wonder what a magnificent Australian Simmons brightly coloured full bleed daybill would have looked like if the film had not been banned in Australia. 
    Shame!  As you say, it would have been a stunning db!
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:

😖😖😖
    -Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    HONDO said:

😖😖😖
    Suck it up sunshine!
    You got plenty of pretty noir! ;)
    😖😖😖
    Suck it up sunshine!
    You got plenty of pretty noir! ;)
    But this would have fit so well in my hitchhiking gone wrong subgenre collection ;)

-Chris

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

# 68. Young Dillinger ( 1965 ). Banned in Australia in 1966 most likely on violence grounds. The applicant was Blake Films.

Never released theatricially in Australia to the best of my knowledge.
    Lawrence

Some interesting details on these three films soon.
    Lawrence

Black Sabbath, Black Sunday and The Torture Chamber Of Dr. Sadism are long thought to have been banned in Australia.

Interestingly some very limited screenings ot the three films at the New Arts Cinema ( aka New Art Cinema ) in Glebe Sydney that were advertised in 1973 in newspaper advertisements have come to light.

Two screenings only of Black Sunday, one of Black Sabbath and one of The Torture  Chamber Of Dr. Sadism are a mystery. 

The Australian Government named Australian Classification website has none of the three films listed as being passed and classified for public screenings in Australia since November 1971. On speaking to a employee of the department that runs this website It was conformed to me that it was indeed the case that the films weren't passed for exhibition in Australia anytime after November 1971. I was also told that the department had no explanation to offer as to why these screenings tool place when the films didn't appear to have been classified,

No other record, after extensive research, has been located of any printed material for any other screenings in Australia.  The Black Sunday and the Black Sabbath advertised  M ratings and The Torture Chamber Of Dr. Sadism conflicting M and also NRC ratings has to be odd as knowing the content of the three films and surely an R rating would have been applicable. Black Sunday was banned in Australia in 1970 and again on appeal.  Were the screenings of these films legitimate one has to wonder, or were the films given limited permission to screen here for whatever reason? A very odd one indeed to know for sure what happened here with these screenings having actually taken place. Interstingly no records found for any Melbourne screenings. No Australian daybills or any other posters sighted.

Your thoughts?
    Lawrence

# 69 Cannibal Holocaust ( 1980 ) and # 70 Psych-Out ( 1968 ).

Cannibal Holocaust was refused classification for theatrical public exhibition  in Australia in 1983, then also an edited version was also refused exhibition in the same year. Finally passed by the censor for DVD release rated R and uncut in 2006. 

Psych-Out was banned for theatrical public exhibition in Australia in 1969, Finally released in Australia in 1991 on videotape rated M and later on DVD, also rated M, in 2005.

Lawrence