Skip to content

What Happened To The Australian Daybills?

Comments

• edited December 2017
                                                                                                                                                    Horror Express ( 1972 ) Nice Italian film poster but where is the Australian Cincenta Films daybill?
  • Thanks for the Horror Express daybill image Mark.

• Killer's Kiss ( 1955 ) directed by Stanley Kubrick  &  Odds Against Tomorrow ( 1959 ) directed by Robert Wise.How rare would the very low budget Killer's Kiss have to be? Odds Against Tomorrow is a great film noir movie, filmed in black and white on location in New York City. I am not surprised a daybill for Killer's Kiss hasn't turned up, but I thought Odds Against Tomorrow daybills  have to be out there somewhere.
  • edited December 2017
      Kubrick filming Killer's Kiss.  Robert Wise shooting Odds Against Tomorrow.
  • edited December 2017

Voodoo Island ( 1957 ) U.S.A. insert,  Fiend Of Dope Island ( 1961 ) U.S.A. insert, & The Twonky ( 1953 ) U.S.A. insert. There has to be daybills somewhere, and one, if not two of them would be W.E. Smith.
  • Hi Hondo, should a full color daybill exist for Invaders from Mars 1953?

A duotone has been sold

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/film_title/INVADERS%20FROM%20MARS%20%28%2753%29/tag/nation%3AAustralia/archive.html

• Jack The Ripper ( 1959 ) U.S.A. insert & Valley Of The Dragons ( 1961 ) U.S.A. insert. Another two films that I would like to find daybills images of.

• Tarzan's Hidden Jungle ( 1955 ) U.S.A. insert and an Australian glass side, which is the only Australian advertising material I have been able to find. No daybill sighted or a one sheet, 3 sheeter of press sheet either. This was the last Tarzan film released by RKO Radio and the first to star Gordon Scott as Tarzan.Curious to know why Australian paper on this title is super rare. 

• Riff-Raff ( 1947 ) U.S.A. insert and an Australian newspaper advertisement for the film, which was re-titled The Amazing Mr. Hammer when it was released in Australia. I would love to see the missing Simmons full bleed daybill image, even with the less than exciting title appearing on it.

There are hundreds of film titles where no daybill images seem to have surfaced as yet. Actually thousands of daybill images are missing, if one takes into account pre 1950 titles and also 1970's to 1990's films, but what is interesting to me is the number of 1950's  and 1960's film titles that are missing images. The majority of missing films are for exploitation, 'B' grade films and lesser known 'A' grade films, but it is surprising that there are a good number of classic films yet to surface. I will shortly cover some missing classic films where daybill images certainly appear to have not yet surfaced for the general public to see. 
  • I often wonder how varied print runs were for different films. I've been doing some research into early 70s stuff and it's mind-boggling how you can have a dozen films released in the same month of the same year and some posters for those films are everywhere and others have never been seen!
  • Just watched The Big Country (1958) Peck, Heston, Ives. Some big names.

Where's the daybill?

• East Of Eden ( 1955 ) U.S.A. insert &  Bird Man Of Alcatraz ( 1962 ) U.S.A. insert. Famous films but where are the daybill images?

• The Man Who Never Was ( 1956 ), Heaven Knows, Mr.Allison ( 1957 ) & From The Terrace ( 1960 ) U.S.A. insert posters.
    No sign of the Australian daybill posters of these titles.

• At last a daybill image has surfaced for The Split. The film was released in Japan in 1959 and in the U.S.A. under the alternative title of The Manster in 1962. A heavily censored version of the film was released in Australia in 1962 under the title of The Split and the asleep at the wheel  Australian daybill version appears above. Did United Artists Australia not receive any overseas artwork to work with or was Australian censorship perhaps the problem? The bloodied hand looks feminine to me.

•   

The Last Man On Earth ( 1964 ), First Man Into Space ( 1959 ) &  Port Sinister ( 1953 ) U.S.A. insert posters. I haven't been able to locate any daybill images for these three titles. Do any of our horror and Science fiction collectors happen to have any daybill poster images for any of these films?
  • Good find, John! & nice looking Daybill!

• The Desert Fox ( 1951) U.S.A. insert, Sailor Of The King ( 1953 ) U.S.A. insert & Torpedo Run ( 1958) U.S.A insert. Three war films, including Sailor of the King which is confirmed as being an Aub Mosely daybill design, where I haven't been able to sight any daybill images. Do any of our war film daybill collectors happen to have any images of any of these titles?

Thanks to John for supplying us earlier with the First Man Into Space daybill image. It is always nice when an image turns up.
  • edited February 2018
    Probably a second printing daybill but at least an image

• Shake Hands With The Devil ( 1959 ), Bad Day At Black Rock ( 1955 ) & A Bullet For Joey ( 1955 ) U.S.A. inserts.Three more titles and  I will again ask the question -  where are the daybills?

Thanks to Chris for The Desert Fox image. I am thinking I have seen this image somewhere previously but then it apparently disappeared.

Thanks to John also for supplying the duotone second printing version of Torpedo Run, complete with a different image than the one that appears the U.S. insert. The duotone image appears to have been copied from the image that was featured on both the original U.S. title lobby card and half sheet.

I have known for a long while there is a large amount of film titles where no daybill posters have turned up as yet. What is now registering with me is the large number of titles that have surfaced for the first time and often the only time in Australia, that were originally printed for New Zealand usage, without Australian censorship printed on them. The posters are either just blank or have the New Zealand censorship rating added later.The authentic Australian version with Australian censorship ratings printed on them appear to be not as prevalant as one would think for 1950's and onwards titles. A question that has crossed my mind on numerous occasions is - do Australian daybill collectors have a preference when acquiring a daybill? Do you prefer the Australian printed version, complete with Australian censorship over the N.Z. version, printed minus the censorship, or doesn't it matter at all? Finally does the N.Z. added censorship versions, often distracting and sometimes downgrading the look of the poster, stop you purchasing a title at all? 
  • I prefer the aussie censor, a bit silly because its the same poster but i cant help it.!
  • edited February 2018
    Good question, Lawrence. I also prefer the Aussie censor....why you ask?....
    --It is part of the original poster design and was placed there by the artist. I find that some of the NZ daybills have the censor stamp placed in areas that i find distracting to the "look" of the poster and it detracts from the image, it kind of "gets in the way". ....although, an NZ version is of course better than non at all....

I love...er kinda like Daybills, and i would have placed these censor stamps elsewhere on these examples. 

• A daybill is a daybill, I don't care what censor stamp is on it. Same with the one sheet.
  •  
    The original Australian versions looking neat. Mark ( Eisenhower ) summed it up in that the placement of the ratings is poor at times. I like the Doris a Day though - rather cute. The reason I had asked my questions was to see if other members agreed with my thoughts. 

This Mother, Jugs & Speed ( 1976 ) daybill is one of the worse examples of New Zealand censorship where the R rating stamp has been applied, without enough ink, in a hurry and appears without care. I believe the stamping took place at the distributor's premises before being sent out to the exhibitors and there was a person or persons sitting at a table with stacks of different titles to stamp. If you have done any stamping yourself, you would know that after a while it becomes a little boring and you just want it to end sooner than later. Therefore  less attention is paid to applying the placing of the stamp and with the ink replacement, and all one wants to do is get the job at hand over with as soon as possible, so the process is speeded up somewhat and less care is taken. I know which of the above two examples I prefer. 
  • Pancho said:
    Image result for horror express daybill
    I have just bought a selection of daybills and believe that there is a 'Horror Express' in there that may possibly show this one to be a RR or second printing. Once I have it hand I'll post an image.
  • On the missing list for Aussie material >>

• Pancho said:
    Pancho said:
    Image result for horror express daybill
    I have just bought a selection of daybills and believe that there is a 'Horror Express' in there that may possibly show this one to be a RR or second printing. Once I have it hand I'll post an image.
    Here you go!