Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

We want it scary...but not TOO scary!

12345679»

Comments

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    HONDO said:

( Bruce from 1997 )
    Wow! We took GREAT photos 22 years ago. I think I have that camera kicking around somewhere. Maybe we should go back to it!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage ( 1970 ). Original U.S.A. one sheet.

Different similar design used on both the Australian one sheet and daybill. The Australian censors disdain for threatening  knives resulted in the tamer looking Australian posters being produced.
    Lawrence
    edited November 2019

Bewitched ( 1945 ). Original U.S.A. insert and Australian daybill posters.

The image of a woman seen brandishing scissors in a threatening manner appearing on the U.S. artwork was apparently deemed by Australian censorship guidelines to be too much for Australians to view on a poster.This image oddly replaced by a stand alone knife dripping blood, when the image should have been a pair of scissors.
    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:

Portion of an Australian daybill printed for the 1961 film The Mark and sent to New Zealand for it's release there. Note the censoring of the newspaper headlines and story. To sum up the film content the following will give you a clue as to why the poster was most likely censored there. ''A man who served time for intent to molest a child tries to build a new life with the help of a sympathetic psychiatrist '' from IMDB. Australia banned more films than New Zealand ever did but New Zealand certainly excelled in film poster material censoring and at times was bordering on the ridiculous.

The Australian daybill and a U.S.A. printed International  one sheet that were  used in New Zealand.  Both posters had censorship snipes attached over an image of Maria Schell and Stuart Whirman in bed. 
    Lawrence
    edited January 9

Man On The Prowl ( 1957 ) U.S.A. insert and Australian daybill posters. ''The killer was in the bedroom... - her sleeping children were at his mercy...'', the beginning of the taglines used on the U.S. poster were not used on the daybill with only the last part of the original wording used.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Previously covered on my Hondo's This And That thread  I felt this information also needed to be included on this thread as well for those who perhaps hadn't see it, and to have it included here with similar material.

Psycho ( 1960 / 1969 RR ). U.S.A. Pressbook showing the Norman Bates character weilding a knife.

The 1971 Australian re-release daybill with the knife missing and only a clenched fist shown. Our Australian film censors certainly didn't like threatening knive images being displayed over many decades.
    Lawrence

The Vulture ( 1966 ) original U.S.A. one sheet.

The Australian original release one sheet. The following taglines printed on the U.S. poster were left off the Australian version along with another very small alteration I will mention shortly..

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Original U.S.1/2 sheet

The same designed U.S. 1/2  sheet  was also used in Australia. On the U.S. poster the female on the right of the poster has a crater looking indentation under her left eye. This has been painted over on the Australian used 1/2 sheet along with the taglines mentioned earlier.  

Giving credit where credit is due this Australian censorship alteration  was originally picked up by Bruce's team.

I noticed also that there is an error on the Australian used 1/2 sheet. Anyome care to comment?

Lawrence

Suspense ( 1946 ) original U.S.A. insert poster, complete with dagger.

Much less suspensful looking Australian daybill version, minus the dagger.
    \

A Brisbane Queensland placed 1946 Australian newspaper advertisement where it would appear to me that a local artist used his imagination here to produce an interesting result, but perhaps not what the censor would have preferred or approved.
    Lawrence