Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Buyer Beware!

13

Comments

  • RickRick Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I reported a US seller eBay seller a repro Elvis one-sheet (no folds, small size) with obviously fake signatures. After copping much abuse after telling the seller it was fake - and then reporting his abuse along with three reports of the fake item - it still stayed on eBay. at least it only sold for $40.
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:



    Julius Caesar ( 1953 )  Robert Burton printed re-release daybill from the late 1960's on the left, and the W. E. Smith original release daybill on the right.

    The above Robert Burton image is the one currently being advertised on ebay as a "' Rare original 1953 Australian daybill movie poster. Not only is it being incorrectly dated but is is also described as being rare which it isn't.
    Did you contact the seller about this Lawrence? Just curious because it is still listed as a genuine original 1953 Australian theatre release colour daybill poster
    John

  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    John said:
    HONDO said:



    Julius Caesar ( 1953 )  Robert Burton printed re-release daybill from the late 1960's on the left, and the W. E. Smith original release daybill on the right.

    The above Robert Burton image is the one currently being advertised on ebay as a "' Rare original 1953 Australian daybill movie poster. Not only is it being incorrectly dated but is is also described as being rare which it isn't.
    Did you contact the seller about this Lawrence? Just curious because it is still listed as a genuine original 1953 Australian theatre release colour daybill poster    
    No I didn't notify the seller in this case as I had done with the seller of Somebody Up There Likes Me daybill, who didn't answer me. Of the limited number of sellers i have contacted in the past, I can only recollect one, mavbe two that ever bothered responding, let only altering the poster information.
    Lawrence
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Yes, I fully understand. I rarely contact people now because the reactions are usually negative.
    John

  • RickRick Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Good news eBay has removed the seller of the fake Elvis poster 
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector


    The Little Hut ( 1957 ) original Australian Chromoprint  daybill and the Advertising & Commercial ( A.& C. ) 1962 Australian re-release, with the almost identical design. I advised Bruce that his current auction entry of The Little Hut daybill was a re-release, and I am just here to advise any future buyers that there are two versions available in the marketplace looking the same with one a first re-release and the other an early re-release.
    Lawrence
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Mark said:
    … and they offer a Certificate of Authenticity!
    John

  • MarkMark Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    John said:
    Mark said:
    … and they offer a Certificate of Authenticity!
    Another overnight expert popping up!
    I knew Alan Moore. He was a real old-school movie buff.
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector


    On the same sellers site advertising this Curly Top ( 1935 ) Australian one sheet as an  original, when it is actually a 1950's re-release. I notice that the seller has 100% positive feedback as well.


    Lawrence
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,578 admin
    John said:
    Mark said:
    … and they offer a Certificate of Authenticity!

    and a guarantee of.....

    Image result for toilet paper

  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Mark said:
    John said:
    Mark said:
    … and they offer a Certificate of Authenticity!
    Another overnight expert popping up!
    I knew Alan Moore. He was a real old-school movie buff.
    Do you know who is selling off his stuff?
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector


    I remember speaking to Allan Moore in the 1990's when he told me he was President of the Australian Doris Day Society. Somewhere I have a card he gave me. If this seller is selling off all his Estate, then there should be heaps of Doris Day to come then.
    Lawrence
  • MarkMark Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    I'm not sure who's selling his estate. Probably a relative.
    Alan used to sell at the Parramatta collectors' fair in the early 2000s. I once asked him if he had a Casablanca or Maltese Falcon daybill available. He replied dryly, "Would I be sitting here selling this crap if I did!"

    King and I 1sht is also a RR I think.
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    Mark said:
    I'm not sure who's selling his estate. Probably a relative.
    Alan used to sell at the Parramatta collectors' fair in the early 2000s. I once asked him if he had a Casablanca or Maltese Falcon daybill available. He replied dryly, "Would I be sitting here selling this crap if I did!"

    King and I 1sht is also a RR I think.

    Yes it is a RR.

    Interesting there are  a few posters in this lot that I haven't seen images of before. Nothing great in this first batch overall and I am wondering if better titles will appear later or perhaps the better titles removed and sent to HA or Bruce?
    Lawrence
  • MarkMark Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited August 2018
    Alan was bequeathed half of a monster collection that came over from NZ in the 1990s. All the desirable stuff like 1950s sci-fi etc went years ago. There might be other good stuff but the person now selling probably won't recognise the better titles. Alan used to sell them on ebay as well. He had over 4000 feedback from memory. Lot of people on here probably bought from him in the past. 


  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:

    Yes it is a RR.

    Interesting there are  a few posters in this lot that I haven't seen images of before. Nothing great in this first batch overall and I am wondering if better titles will appear later or perhaps the better titles removed and sent to HA or Bruce?
    Not me!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector


    Edge Of The CIty ( 1957 ) Australian re-release 1960's daybill and the original  re-titled A Man Is Ten Feet Tall daybill from the original Australian release.
    Currently the marketplace has many of the above re-release poster advertised, with some credited as being re-release but also a number of sellers are advertising the poster as being first release. The dearest one by far on eBay at present is from a U.K. seller advertising it as a 1957 first release poster at $59.81 Australian.




    My Fair Lady ( 1964 ) Australian 3 Sheet currently on Heritage Auctions. This poster is advertised as being from the original Australian release in 1965. The poster is an original 1965 Australian design, but the poster has been altered for the circa 1974 re-release that took place in Australia by the new distributor 20th Century fox. The original Warner Bros. credit and printer's credit have been blacked out and the new 20th Century Fox logo has been added to the poster. For whatever reason it was decided to leave the ''For General Exhibition'' censorship rating alone, and not alter it to the 1971 introduced ''G'' rating. One would imagine the powers to be thought another blackout would look messy. Had this have occurred it would then looked like a New Zealand altered Australian poster. When the film rights for My Fair Lady reverted back to CBS in 1974 it appears the original three sheet ended up at 20th Century Fox Australia, who then decided to adjust the poster instead of creating a new design.  
    Lawrence
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:


    Edge Of The CIty ( 1957 ) Australian re-release 1960's daybill and the original  re-titled A Man Is Ten Feet Tall daybill from the original Australian release.
    Currently the marketplace has many of the above re-release poster advertised, with some credited as being re-release but also a number of sellers are advertising the poster as being first release. The dearest one by far on eBay at present is from a U.K. seller advertising it as a 1957 first release poster at $59.81 Australian.
     
    Advertising the re-release of Edge of the City re-release as being from the first release is beyond ridiculous, since it references 3 1960s movies on the poster!

    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    Bruce said;

    Advertising the re-release of Edge of the City re-release as being from the first release is beyond ridiculous, since it references 3 1960s movies on the poster!
    Exactly.




    This My Fair Lady German A2 poster was previously sold on Heritage auctions and advertised incorrectly as R-1969. The 20th Century Fox logo would make the re-release 1974 or later.
    Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KING-KONG-MOVIE-POSTER-1952-AUSTRALIAN-DAYBILL-VERY-RARE/192697196108?hash=item2cdda5de4c:g:-4oAAOSwnhJbqkI5:rk:5:pf:0

    The seller has been informed that this is not the 1952 re-release - i even sent him an image - but still lists this wrongly.

  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    Rick said:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KING-KONG-MOVIE-POSTER-1952-AUSTRALIAN-DAYBILL-VERY-RARE/192697196108?hash=item2cdda5de4c:g:-4oAAOSwnhJbqkI5:rk:5:pf:0

    The seller has been informed that this is not the 1952 re-release - i even sent him an image - but still lists this wrongly.

    And interestingly the seller has a 100% Positive feedback rating. I have notified some sellers on ebay regarding incorrect information in the past. I found the majority didn't listen and do any alterations. In most case you just don't receive a response back at all, and in one case I was told they would amend it , but never did. The sellers continued to advertise the item for a long period of time with the incorrect information. Needless to say I don't bother anymore to contact any sellers.



    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

    Currently appearing on eBay are numerous film posters being advertised by the State of Alan Moore under the heading '' Alan's Hollywood Memorabilia''. Unfortunately the people involved in this selling process aren't too familiar with the product they are advertising. At a brief glance over I have noticed at least sixteen Australian daybill posters that are either not credited as being re-releases at all, or the re-release decade is incorrect, and there are bound to be more found under closer scrutiny. There is also the That Night In Rio ''special'' printed daybill appearing to be an original release poster. Have some fun and go check out the inaccuracies appearing there on eBay.





    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector



    A same tribute 1970's daybill design of That Night In Rio is currently being advertised on eBay as original release from seller sienntcinema -  to buy it now for $125.00 U.S. 

    Lawrence
  • MarkMark Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Chocolate wheel prices.
    I suspect this rare one is en route to Canada?


  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    It was about to go Melbourne way!
  • MarkMark Member Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited October 2018
    Sven said:
    It was about to go Melbourne way!
    LOL - you need a faster draw, Sven.
    Pity about condition on Incred Shrinking Man.
    Some good pick-ups of rare posters from Alan's collection.

    Killers from Space & Journey going to Melb??

  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited October 2018
    Mark said:
    Sven said:
    It was about to go Melbourne way!
    LOL - you need a faster draw, Sven.
    Pity about condition on Incred Shrinking Man.
    Some good pick-ups of rare posters from Alan's collection.

    Killers from Space & Journey going to Melb??


    Better luck there  ;)
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector


    The Silence Of Dean Maitland ( 1934 ) late 1930's second printing daybill. I am uncertain if there was an official re-release or not. or just the popularity of the film waranted a second printing. An extremely rare poster, but beware if it ever comes up for sale and is advertised as being an original printed 1934 first release poster that it isn't one. The distributor's logo on the poster is incorrect for 1934 and the credit positioning for Jocelyn Howarth is also incorrect for 1934. The original 1934 daybill should have have had this logo appearing on it as it appears on the 1934 newspaper advertisement for the film below. The original billing for Jocelyn Howarth would have been similar to what appears on the ad also. The reason for her elevation in the credits on the later printed 1930's daybill is that at this time she was then working in Hollywood under her new name of Constance Worth and had some brief fame there.



    An Australian placed advertisement that appeared in the April 28, 1937 edition of the trade publication Everyones.




    Original U.S.A. artwork from 1937.




    A U.K. London trade publication from 1934 interestingly not including the then named Jocelyn Howarth in the actors credits listed.




    I thought that readers of this information may be also interested in learning that the film was re-released in Australia in 1947 and appeared to have had theatrical bookings up to 1949 here. The advertisement that appears above was from screenings, most likely for one week with continuous sessions, at the Lyric theatre in Newsastle N.S.W. in 1947.

    There should be a daybill out there somewhere from this re-release that hopefully that will turn up one day. The possibility though of finding a copy of the original 1934 daybill is most likely very remote. The reason for not finding an original 1934 poster still existing is as the latter printing may have resulted in many of the original printing copies that were still remaining at Paramount offices to have been destroyed. Also not in it's favour to have one that is still existing and turn up, is that posters from the early 1930's are extremely rare as most posters from that time were just destroyed.
    Lawrence
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector


    Don't Go Near the Water ( 1957 ) original Australian daybill and  a 1960s re-release Australia daybill not to be thought of as being from  the first release.

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



    Rebecca ( 1940 ) original Australian first release long daybill on the left and a 1947 re-release daybill incorrecttly converted to being a long daybill by a restorer and originally was thoughr of as being original release. I believe that people these days know the story behind this poster and now acknowledge it as being a 1947 re-release poster. 

    To further confirm that the poster above on the right if from 1947 I would like to state that all United Artists film posters in 1940 had the following style logo printed on their posters.
     

    The Released Thru United Artists style was what was used in 1947 was the following.

    Lawrence
Sign In or Register to comment.