Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Members, Please Introduce Yourself!

Comments

• JasonJason Member Posts: 1 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Hello everyone.

I’m Jason and I’ve only been collecting since 2015 but, because I instantly became an addict, I’ve accumulated somewhere between 400-500 posters so far and counting. 
    My collection is made up mainly of U.S. one-sheets that are split pretty evenly between modern double-sided and older/vintage 27x41’s. From there, I have several each of the older U.S. sizes printed on card stock & a few three-sheets; British Quads; Australian Daybills & one-sheets; and posters from France, Italy, Germany and Japan.
    I don’t really have a main focus on what I collect... if it’s beautiful, colorful, and eye-catching, I’ll do my best to add it to the collection but I will say that I put a heavy priority on collecting as many Star Wars and Clint Eastwood posters as I can find and afford.

Thanks to Charlie for the invite.
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,590 admin
    Welcome Jason! You can't go wrong with Clint.
  • vincepecorarovincepecoraro Member Posts: 1 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    My name is Vince. I started collecting when I was a teen in the 1970's. I've always had movie posters on my walls. I currently am homebound so I am teaching myself how to restore posters and linen back them. My favorite poster in my collection is a Japanese B2 Lady Snowblood. My current grail (poster I want but can't afford) is the Australian day bill for Mad Max.
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Welcome Vince!! If you started in the 70s I assume you've had a fair share of good stuff in your hands!
  • Strand79Strand79 Member Posts: 7 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Hello everyone. 

My name is Tore Strand and i am from Norway. Been collecting posters for about 5 years. I found this forum because i was asking if someone could do linenbacking here in Norway and for the price they where asking i thought i should give it a try myself oneday.

And thanks for the invite.
  • 110x75110x75 Member, Sarli Connoisseur Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Hi Tore, welcome! Looking forward to see what's on your collection!
    Welcome Tore. Well you've come to the right place if you want to learn about linen backing.
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,471 admin
    Welcome Tore! @Strand79

nice you found The Forum!  :)
    Feel free to display some of your paper and if it’s a linenbacking adventure you crave, I’m sure there are a few around here who can guide you in the right direction. 
  • Strand79Strand79 Member Posts: 7 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Thank you all for the welcome
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
  • rockabilly777rockabilly777 Member, The Framer Posts: 636 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Welcome, Jason, Vince and Tore! Feel free to share your collections anytime! The forum loves pictures, and lots of 'em!  :)
  • AINEAINE Member Posts: 1 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Thanks for the invite. New to poster collecting and I've definitely caught the bug! I'm pretty active on the FB auction group and always looking to expand my collection. Right now working on 50s-80s Horror/Sci-Fi and other favs. Sooooo many to get still.
  • rockabilly777rockabilly777 Member, The Framer Posts: 636 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Welcome, AINE! Great to have you here! When you get up to speed, post some pics of what you've got!
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,858 admin
    You made it!!! Welcome...
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
  • RobbieRobbie Member Posts: 108 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Welcome to the club 🤗

Welcome aboard! 

....and sweet looking cat!
  • CSM_2_Point_0CSM_2_Point_0 Member, Super Sleuth Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Welcome!
    -Chris

There's a street of lights

A long dark night
    Restaurant scenes
    And dark machines...

@AINE welcome! Looking forward to seeing some of your paper!
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 48 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    I just realised I think I've been on this forum for quite a few years but haven't written one of these posts. I've been collecting since the late 1970s (when it was relatively cheap). It was very easy in those days to be able to go to the film exchanges and ask for posters, sometimes they'd charge but quite often they'd just let you have them for nothing. I collected quite a few bargains back then, Australian Star Wars one sheets were $10, daybills $5. 

There was also a cinema in Richmond, Victoria called The Valhalla and two guys (Dave and Steve) used to sell posters in the foyer. I used to go there regularly on a Friday night to buy posters.

I collected quite a lot of Hitchcock, science fiction, musicals, some horror, pretty much anything that I thought was nice. The plan was always to grab extras for swaps or to keep to sell for my retirement (which is now only a few years away hopefully). The last year or so I've slowly been selling a lot of my collection, the stuff I knew would appreciate in value over the years and keeping a few prime items. I've also been buying a few nice items that I've always coveted but never been able to afford.

I've had a lot of daybills in the past, most of them have gone to auction but there's a few left. I also collect one sheets, lobby cards and have recently started collecting window cards for a few really nice items. They're a good size to display.

Now I'm embarking on kitchen and bathroom renovations so I'm getting rid of more stuff (going to Bruce very shortly).  Here's a look at some of my collection that's going to be sold soon (not all of it). I'll post more a bit later once I start to get things framed.

No photo description available

This is a favourite of mine.

Image may contain 3 people

Australian One Sheet - It's Chucklesome!
    Image may contain 2 people

Image may contain 2 people text

South African ONE SHEET (R)

I'll Be Seeing You - I don't know why there's a NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN snipe over the FOR GENERAL EXHIBITION classification.

Image may contain 3 people text

Image may contain 2 people text that says The 7ICTIM with TOM CONWAY JEAN BROOKS ISABEL JEWELL and troducing KIM HUNTER SLAVE TO SATAN

I have the complete set of 8 WOTW FOH cards, here's a few.

Nice story & post! And wonderful daybills! Looking forward to seeing your other pieces! Will be eager to see those come up for auction!
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited June 28
    wonderful daybills! Looking forward to seeing your other pieces! Will be eager to see those come up for auction!
    Me too! :)
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector

dedepoater said: ''I'll Be Seeing You - I don't know why there's a NOT SUIITABLE FOR CHILDREN snipe over the FOR GENERAL EXHIBITION classification.''

The film was originally released in Australia in 1945 by United Artists, after being certified with a Not Suitable For General Exhibition rating by the Australian censor.

The poster of yours is an early 1950s re-release BEF daybill poster. I cannot say for certain, but I believe what possibly happened is an incorrect For General Exhibition censorship rating was printed on the re-release daybill. Bruce has three images on his website without the snipe appearing on any of them, but yours has a post 1948 Not Suitable For Children snipe attached to correct the fault.
    Lawrence

Great War Of The Worlds lobby cards with British censorship snipes ?
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:

Great War Of The Worlds lobby cards with British censorship snipes ?
    They're English FOH 8x10s and yes, they are very nice. I don't know whether they'll be going to auction or whether I hang on to them.
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 6,858 admin
    Nice to learn more about you!!! Maybe it is a collectors' pitfall to keep collecting thinking we can make a hobby business of it when we retire. I have the same dream.  However, I have another 20+ years to go or so.  Thanks for the post!
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    Great set of FOH cards...I'd hang on to them.
    Here's another old thing I just found in a roll of posters...

Image may contain 7 people shoes
     A great Australian You Only LiveTwice one sheet. There were two original Australian one sheets styles produced for this film, with the other design beibng the Gyrocopter style. The bathing style poster I believe would have to be the rarest and the most sort after.A great poster to have in your collection. 
    Lawrence
    You call that poster an "odd thing"; i call it wonderful! :)
  • chrisryandrawschrisryandraws Member Posts: 1 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    Been lurking for like... a year? Noticed I have a 1 year anniversary badge! Suppose it would be time to introduce myself:

I'm Chris. I'm an illustrator living in Seattle. I'm not a big time poster collector, but I have a few I love and it's been fun to lurk the forums. Of particular interest to me is the restoration portions of the forum. I love getting really nerdy about obscure topics and I got a little obsessed reading through Charlie's and Eisenhowers' threads about linen-backing and restoration and conservation. I may get wild one of these days and give it a go, so I'm sure I'll ask a bunch of naive questions in those threads soon enough!