Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hondo's This And That

1121314151618»

Comments

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    John said:
    Excellent research Lawrence
    I completely agree!
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,477 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    Bruce said:
    John said:
    Excellent research Lawrence
    I completely agree!
    Thank you both for the kind words. It certainly encourages me to push on with covering more poster artists, if only for knowing you both appreciate this sort of information. 

Lawrence
  • darolodarolo Member Posts: 58 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    Yes, very good indeed. It's fortunate that so many Australian posters in the 20's and 30's came with a signature, which wasn't the case in the U.S. where anonymity was the rule. Wynne Davies name appears on many daybills in the 1920's, but as far as I know he only had one poster with his signature from his work in the U.S.
    Davies, Frank Tyler and Fred Brodrick I'd rank as the top 3. 

Following up on my June 2019 information and discussion that was included on this thread regarding The Kelly Gang.

I have just discovered further details regarding this poster which was sold on 23 June 2019 by Leski Auctions Melbourne and was listed as being  a 1909 The Story Of The Kelly Gang poster.

This poster sold for $ 4,200, which was 4 times the price originally paid for it. The poster was bought about 15 years  previously at an auction place at Pyrmont. This information supplied by the original owner Ian, who was very happy with the price realised, along with other items of his that were obtained when auctioned  through Leski Auctions as well.

This poster was authenticated by Josef from Josef Lebovic Gallery, who is an expert in this area.

Lawrence
    darolo said:
    Yes, very good indeed. It's fortunate that so many Australian posters in the 20's and 30's came with a signature, which wasn't the case in the U.S. where anonymity was the rule. Wynne Davies name appears on many daybills in the 1920's, but as far as I know he only had one poster with his signature from his work in the U.S.
    Davies, Frank Tyler and Fred Brodrick I'd rank as the top 3. 
    Thanking you also for your kind words.

Yes the three artists you mentioned also rank highly with me, but let's not forget  Fred Powis ( The Cat And The Canary ) and Bernie Bragg ( Metropolis ) as well.

I intend to cover the five mentioned artists at some time or another when time allows me to do this.

In the case of Wynne W. Davies U.S. poster work I have images of four signed film posters that he designed there. I will include images of these titles when I compile his coverage here on this thread.

Lawrence
    edited February 12

Removed by me. See following entry.
    Lawrence

Some additional material on the previously posted Australian movie poster artist Tom Ferry shortly.
    Lawrence
    edited February 12
    HONDO said:

TOM FERRY  ( 1891 - 1954 ) 

( 1925 / Everyones )   

The following is a portrait of the great Australian writer and bush poet Henry Lawson ( 1867 - 1922 ) drawn by Tom Ferry. Published in The Capricornian newspaper from Rockhampton Queensland on the 23rd of September 1922. This was  twenty one days following his death on the 2nd of September 1922. The following portrait and article courtesy of Trove.

Henry Lawson.
    Lawrence
    edited February 12
    HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

TOM FERRY  ( 1891 - 1954 ) 

( 1925 / Everyones )   

Tom Ferry was employed as a poster artist at  Hollander And Govett in the earlier part of his career. No more details about this period have been  located.
    Post edited by HONDO on
    Lawrence
    edited February 25

Canberra Times ACT 16 June 1977 story. along with the two mentioned The Story Of The Kelly Gang Australian posters.

Although this information is mainly known I thought the clipping may still be of interest, as I don't believe it has been displayed  on the forum previously.

Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 126 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    It's amazing that three different posters for this film survive. The only other early one like these I know of is for the bushranger film Thunderbolt (1910), a daybill of which sold at a People's Paraphernalia auction 30 years ago for about $800.
    edited February 28
    Great research.
    I apptreciate your kind words.

darolo said:
    It's amazing that three different posters for this film survive. The only other early one like these I know of is for the bushranger film Thunderbolt (1910), a daybill of which sold at a People's Paraphernalia auction 30 years ago for about $800.

It isn't certain ( proved )  that this poster is from  the same film that the two The Story Of The Kelly Gang posters above are  advertising. This poster has been discussed on the forum in the past on several occassions regarding this.

Is it hoping too much that you may have an image ot the 1910 Thunderbolt daybill you could share with us?

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    I would love to see too!
    I never saw the Thunderbolt daybill, as I didn't attend the auction and the catalogue was just a printed listing. I know from someone else attending that the daybill was much like the Story of the Kelly Gang poster. At the same auction was a daybill for the Chaplin film Work from 1915.
    darolo said:
    I never saw the Thunderbolt daybill, as I didn't attend the auction and the catalogue was just a printed listing. I know from someone else attending that the daybill was much like the Story of the Kelly Gang poster. At the same auction was a daybill for the Chaplin film Work from 1915.
    Would have been great to have attended this auction and have sighted the two posters, and any other posters that were in the auction as well. At least we now know that they exist and that images may possibly turn up one day.

One of the highlights poster wise for me was when I attended the Pickles Auction in Sydney on the 7th November 1998. Attendees / bidders were allowed to handle all of the posters, which included 66 individual titles, with many multiples and different styles of films made between 1927 and 1932. Almost all the posters were one sheets. 

If anyone is interested in reading about this auction you can find my earlier comments on the ''There Are Australian Daybill & One Sheets Existing For These Films'' thread beginning on page one. I have just added some new material onto  this thread and one is able to find it located just l under this Hondo's This And That forum thread on the main discussion title page.

Lawrence
    Do you know anyone who purchased any of the posters from the Pickles auction? There were a couple of western ones that I have been waiting for them to reappear again but they never have, especially The Rainbow Trail.
    darolo said:
    Do you know anyone who purchased any of the posters from the Pickles auction? There were a couple of western ones that I have been waiting for them to reappear again but they never have, especially The Rainbow Trail.
    Unfortunately no.

I am curious as to which of The Raindow Trail one sheets you are interested in?  November 7, 1998 was a long time ago and memory for details twenty two years previous understandingly aren't as sharp as they used to be. Nevertheless I am certain that I remember seeing the second image design of the U.S.A. one sheet styles appearing below of George O'Brien's character with the heroinine sitting on a horse.   

One clear memory from the auction was that there were multiple copies of the following Pardon Us one sheet design. I cannot locate the catalogue at present to check on how many copies there actually were, but three or four I am thinking.

A comment was made at the auction that if the same person was to purchase all the ( damaged to some extent ) posters of Pardon Us, a beautiful restored poster would be a distinct possibility to then accomplish. 

Lawrence

Stand And Deliver ( 1928 ) original U.S.A. one sheet and an Australian long daybill stock poster produced sometime after the Australian 1929 release took place.

This is an early example of an Australian stock poster. Anyone have any other examples of any earlier Australian stock posters used prior to this example, that they may like to share? 

Lawrence

It Takes All kinds  ( 1969 ). One has to ponder why BEF would have bothered to have had printed four different Australian daybills for this 'B' grade film that received very limited bookings?
    Lawrence
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:

It Takes All kinds  ( 1969 ). One has to ponder why BEF would have bothered to have had printed four different Australian daybills for this 'B' grade film that received very limited bookings
    There is also a Black and White version