Skip to content

Rockabilly's poster collection

Comments

• Thanks, Rick!
  • Nice nice additions Rockabilly! I especially agree that Hot Cars is fantastic! Good stuff!
  • Thanks, man. Now if I could just find a Dragstrip Riot 3 sheet, I'd be in business!  ;)
  • Art of Modern Rock... What are they selling there... :)
  • It's SUPPOSED to be selling a book about gig posters, but it appears to be marketing 101, and they're selling S-E-X!
  • That what I saw!
  • A couple more entries for the mountainous pile-o-paper™ here in the lair. Neither are for movies, but both are for documentaries, which is prolly the same thing anyway. Storytelling via the medium of film. Anyhoo, 

PBS produced Ken Burns jazz doc, image of Mr. Armstrong (poster size - 18x24 inches, because dammit, we refuse to go metric):

7 separate French posters, one for each segment/episode/whatever for the Scorsese produced blues doc (poster size 15x23 inches):

Thazzit. That's all I got for now. Thanks for having a peek.

• I should probably wait longer to post this drivel, but here I am back again. Car stuff? Yep. At least one of 'em is film related though, so there's that. But first, the non-movie stuff. In my humble opinion concerning automotive design, the Mercedes 300SL gullwing coupe and roadster (1954-1957, and 1957-1963 respectively) were a couple of the prettiest cars ever made. I had been poking around ebay for a 1:18 scale diecast gullwing, and ran across these posters. The posters have a dash of an 80's vibe that I'm not super wild about, but the car is rendered pretty well. Both are half sheet size and will make it up on the walls here at some point.

The other is a pressbook, coming from the great land of OZ (maybe I bought it from one of y'all). I can't find much in terms of sales/auction history of posters, but I'll take what I can get for now.

Looks like I need to find me a 6 sheet. I know, I know, good luck with that, right? Anyway, that's all the excitement I have for now. Thanks for looking!
  • Very cool idea...episode posters! And they are great looking, too.
    LOVE IN HIGH GEAR? Ha! Fab!!!!
  • Money to pay bills? Save for retirement? Aw hell naw. Collecting knows no financial responsibility. I can quit anytime I want (he says as he sits in a dark corner, rocking back and forth). At any rate, on with the show. You didn't shell out your $0.10 at the door to hear me babble. First off, this one is outside of my typical poster collecting parameter. It's 70's and motorcycle themed, neither of which I usually collect. But it was priced right, has a good title, and groovy graphics. Sold.

This poster and the one above may have been as a result of the same search (wheels). This one is so full of WTF? it's great. It ain't gonna win any poster design awards, but it could be in the running for title of the year with any of the stuff I'm likely to purchase. Again, year-wise (1999) not something I'd normally collect, but I have Redneck Zombies and Zombie Strippers, so this will go well with them.

Okay, back to the land of normal, or stuff I'd normally collect at least. Predictable fare for me, but another I can check off the list.

And lastly for now, the auction for this trimmed window card was going pretty cheaply, so I thought I'd throw a bid in and ended up winning. It should be a good companion for my Disc Jockey insert.

VMPF is a tad quiet these days. Hopefully y'all are happy, healthy, safe and having fun doing other stuff. Until next time...
  • How could you resist Hot Wax Zombies on Wheels. I gather that is an educational title?
  • LOVE THEM...especially they cheesy, sleazy first two. (Oh my!!) Yowza!!!!!!
  • Thanks, guys. Rick, I'd suggest a stroll by IMDB to read the synopsis, but I'm not sure that will clear anything up at all. I read it, and I was still like "what?".
  • Hey guys, it's been a while, but I figured I'd at least try and get caught up with purchases on this thread to give folks something additional to look at. It's all still pretty much bird cage linings, but for one reason or another these warranted me opening my wallet. These are in no particular order at all, neither purchase date nor importance. Anyhow, enough drivel. As always, most of these are seller's pics, so sorry about the appearance and quality.

This one I've had one or two copies of before, but ran across this one cheaply. It's fate is probably just to be re-listed on the 'bay to help fund other stuff.

This one is an original 24x36 advertising poster for the artist and album mentioned. It's rockabilly for sure and also hot rod-ish, so I thought it might look cool when I put together a music themed wall. 

These are just sizable magazine advertisements. I thought they'd probably look decent framed, and finding a poster for this title would probably prove pretty difficult anyway.

This one has been on the "I should probably get" list for quite some time. This half sheet came up pretty inexpensive recently, and is already happily framed and on the wall. Certainly not of the best condition, but that seems to be a theme with me.

This is probably the gem of the bunch. I'm not super familiar with photobustas, but this thing chimes in at just under half sheet size. It's high on the list of stuff to get matted and framed, and I may be able to get to that later today. It's for One Cab's Family, an MGM short from 1952.

Not the greatest poster ever made artwork-wise, but it is car themed and a bus shelter poster, and I like me some big posters.

This pressbook is in pretty bad condition, but it was cheap, and where am I going to find another one? Oddly, none of the theatrical posters feature automobile artwork, so this is probably the image I'd want anyway. I think it'll frame up fine.

These three are 24x36 Chinese "silk" posters. Super inexpensive and I dig the art on all of them. I'll never be able to (nor am I particularly compelled to) afford an original Bullitt poster, so I'll go with the groovy Catwoman style art instead. The Christine poster has a much better presence than the original poster. I get that the original probably was trying to create a bit of mystery with the image and not give too much away, but a decent image of Christine adds a little something. I haven't seen Ready Player One yet (but I did pick up the dvd at a thrift store the other day, so it's on the list), but this mash up poster that combines the title and character of RPO with the style of the Risky Business art, but featuring the BTTF Delorean instead of the Porsche 928, I thought was pretty novel.

That's all I'll beleaguer you with for now. That's about a third of what's new, so I'll be back to post some more. Thanks for stopping in and having a look.
  • Hey there! It is so good to see you back! I am unfamiliar with Japanese silk posters, but they are nice and my faves o’ the bunch. Good job as always!
  • Love it.
  • Thanks, guys. I think the Chinese "silk" poster thingy (are they silk? you got me. they are some sort of smooth fabric though) is basically them taking someone else's artwork/intellectual property (I know that's true for the Catwoman poster), printing it on an inexpensive medium and selling it for cheap. I should have some ethical issue with it, because I'm sure the art isn't licensed or used with permission, but the many shortcomings of my budget and my desire for the thing override my ethics.
  • LOVE the Speed Maniac ones!  Think they will look amazing in a frame!

I have a soft spot for Bebe Daniels too, so am really liking that one.

Congrats!
  • Nice selection
  •   ( U.K. )
    American film distributors tended to promote imported overseas films more aggressively by using more attention grabbing images and title changes to attract audiences there.

The film was granted a mild U ( Universal ) rating when originally released in the U.K. 

• Sorry I missed your post, Lawrence, but thanks for the info and picture. Is that a U.K. 1 sheet? I have always thought that the artwork for Female Fiends fell pretty far short of a graphic arts triumph, but The Strange Awakening is even worse. 

It's time for me to get more or less caught up with stuff I've purchased recently, so prepare yourselves for giant, typically poorly taken ebay seller's pics. As happens with me, some recent purchases I don't even have pics of because I forget to save 'em, so I'll have to snap some if I can. A few are French 1 panels, and they definitely don't fit on my magnetic dry erase board, so we'll see about that. At any rate, in no particular order:

Poor condition, yes, but it was also inexpensive and I dig the title. I also have the lobby card set, a half sheet and the other style 1 sheet with much better art.

Yep, it's a German video poster, but it prominently features a Mini catching some air.

1 sheet for film about drag racing legend Shirley Muldowney, autographed by her at some point before my acquisition of the poster:

I also have the 1 sheet and pressbook for this title, but this half sheet was inexpensive:

Speaking of giant French posters, here's one. I like the alternate title better than Drive Angry:

Sorry again for the awful picture(s). I had put this poster in a crappy frame and was too lazy to take it back out to properly photograph it. This is a poster for a documentary about the search for the Ford Mustang used in the movie Bullitt. It seems a wee bit of a scarce poster, because I was just going to take the easy way out and get a pic from google images, but it ain't there.

There are quite a few more posters to post here, but I'll wrap up this entry with a bit of an oddball one. This is more or less a record store poster promoting a compilation cd (and possibly vinyl?). I don't remember what I was searching for when I ran across it, but I put it on the watchlist, the seller sent an offer I couldn't refuse, and it's currently in the postal system somewhere. I think the size is 18"x24" (because who needs to join the rest of the world with the metric system??).

Thanks for having a peek. More to come soon. Stay safe and sane.
  • I need that Chasing Bullitt poster!  Super jealous!
  • Good shit, Rock! Greaseball Melodrama is my favorite of the bunch. As for DELINQUENT DAUGHTERS, I don't need no poster. I have 2 in the flesh living at home... 😁
  • Always interesting poster images that  you manage to find,

i thought that the following information may be of interest.

Roadhouse Girl was a British film that was originally released in the U.K. in 1953 under the title of Marilyn. After some searching I have been unable to locate any original U.K. poster material at all of Marilyn. 

What I did find though is a U.S.A. one sheet poster located on the British Railway Movie Database where the title was altered by changing the title of the U.S. Astor Pictures Corp. one sheet image from Roadhouse Girl to the original U.K. title of Marilyn. 

• Hey gang, I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable holiday season. Here we are in 2024 already. I remember ages ago listening to Prince's 1999 and thinking how far away that was. Oy vey. Time to give Ponce de Leon a call and see if he had any luck finding that fountain.

This is just a random smattering of stuff. I'm pretty sure there's more to post, but probably pretty run o' the mill, less interesting stuff. But, we're not here to chat about what I'm not posting, so let's get on with things. As always, these are likely all seller's pics, so they probably suck. Sorry.

This is a print by an artist named Larry Grossman. Of the work I've seen of his, it seems mainly centered around cars/hot rods/nostalgic-y scenes. This one has a classic car in it, but the subject is of a movie theater, so I thought it might tie some themes together on the walls of the rock-o-mansion.

This next one is an original 36x48 poster from Ford that would've likely hung in the service department of a dealership. Probably from the 50's sometime.

I think we can safely enter the realm of the movie poster now. For my tastes, this was the best one sheet for Fury Road that I've seen.

I think I'm familiar with the subject of this movie (documentary?), but I'll likely never seek it out to watch it. It just has that explotation/sexploitation-y look to it, and I thought it might go well with some of the older ones. Besides that it was cheeeeep.

Next up, a couple lobby card sets:

The title of this poster reminded me of the James Spader/Maggie Gyllenhaal film from 2002. It seems a wee bit suggestive:

This German poster appears to advertise a movie about auto racing, but the English title they gave it (or it translates to) is Is Divorce The Only Answer?. Maybe she wasn't into the racing scene so much:

And lastly for today methinks, condition challenged? Absolutely. Forbidden Planet? No it is not. Robby The Robot? You betcha.

Thanks for stopping by! Be safe!

• Love it!
  • Hey! Sorry i am late to the party. I've been out of town literally for MONTHS and I don't know my password. (It's saved on my home computer--NOT on my phone!)
    YOWZA! Quite the haul there. (Or HAULS--plural...) My faves in the bunch are DELINQUENT DAUGHTERS, HELL DRIVER 3D (I also have the poster--but have yet to see the flick!), Fremont Theatre, MORE THAN A SECRETARY (oh my!)  and THE INVISIBLE BOY. Poor shape? Not to worry! It's in far better shape than mine (meaning I do NOT have one!). Nice job as usual! CHEERS! 
  • Hey gang, just a few recent purchases to get caught up on, and I also have a few to post in the framing exploits thread as well. Yep, better take a sedative before the excitement really kicks in.

These lobbies have been on ebay forever. I'm not sure what kept me from buying them, as they were exponentially less expensive than the US set would go for. Maybe the Mexican lobby card stigma? Who knows. I whine enough about how difficult it is to find foreign movie paper for these types of titles, so I finally decided to add them to the rock-o-collection.

This one was inexpensive, and I thought I should probably get one at some point. I get that it's about the man more than the machine, but it's not a super exciting poster, and the other style I've seen ain't any better.

A bit condition challenged (like most of my collection), but I was glad to add this title card to the archives.

I needed this pressbook for the collection, and finally found a decent one that wasn't priced like it was a 1 sheet.

And lastly for today, I pirated this image from Heritage, as I didn't want to attempt taking a photo myself. I have the poster weighted down in the flat file right now trying to get some of the fold lines to relax so I can put it in the Spotlight Displays frame and retire the Hot Car Girl 3 sheet for a while. It's unused and has been folded up for 67 years, so it's a bit ornery. The poster is a bit underrated and overlooked as a 50's hot rod title, but the artwork is still pretty good. 

There's probably a bit of info on the forum about relaxing fold lines - I haven't taken the time to look yet. Have any of you guys tried or had any luck relaxing fold lines with mild heat?

That's it for now. As always, thanks for dropping by and having a look. 
  • Give the posters a valium bath and they relax really quickly! :)

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• EUREKA!! That's thinkin' outside the box. I like it.