Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

A Clockwork Orange rare style

JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
This daybill for A Clockwork Orange is a rare one. Does anyone have thoughts on the time of release for this poster? There does not appear to be any evidence to suggest that it could be a reissue. Note the image of the girl within the triangle. 

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    Isnt there a white verson too?
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Isnt there a white verson too?
    There are at least six different styles. The more commonly seen style is this one

Here is the one with censor details ...

I think the reference to Warner Brothers as a "Kinney Company" indicates that the yellow version is original so maybe the white one with Warner Communications might be a slightly later printing for the original release.
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    John said:
    I think the reference to Warner Brothers as a "Kinney Company" indicates that the yellow version is original so maybe the white one with Warner Communications might be a slightly later printing for the original release.

On February 10, 1972 Kinney Services, inc. the then owner of Warner Bros, was renamed as Warner Communications, Inc.

A Clockwork Orange was classified by the Australian censor for public exhibition pn March 1, 1972.

John's comments above are supported by my additional information. The white version I believe was a very prompt replacement poster for the yellow version, and that is why very few yellow daybill versions appear to exist today.

Are there any yellow posters existing that don't have the Sunday Telegraph comment appearing to have been  added onto the daybill post release? 

The black and white version that Ves had  previously mentioned now has me then wondering when was this poster printed. Another printer was involved here with Robert Burton producing this poster whereas  M.A.P.S. had printed the yellow version.

Lawrence
    So, the Yellow style is the true first release daybill. 
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    HONDO said:
    John said:

On February 10, 1972 Kinney Services, inc. the then owner of Warner Bros, was renamed as Warner Communications, Inc.

A Clockwork Orange was classified by the Australian censor for public exhibition pn March 1, 1972.

John's comments above are supported by my additional information. The white version I believe was a very prompt replacement poster for the yellow version, and that is why very few yellow daybill versions appear to exist today.

Are there any yellow posters existing that don't have the Sunday Telegraph comment appearing to have been  added onto the daybill post release? 

The black and white version that Ves had  previously mentioned now has me then wondering when was this poster printed. Another printer was involved here with Robert Burton producing this poster whereas  M.A.P.S. had printed the yellow version.

Yah, this was the one I was thinking of!
    Can we get a close up of the MAPS details on the yellow one?
    Can we get a close up of the MAPS details on the yellow one?

Doesn't this style logo for MAPS indicate mid 70s?  I thought there was a thread where this was discussed but I can't find it.

This is from my full colour...sorry for the fuzzy pic

So here is my theory....the US Insert has the same company credit.
    A lazy copy for a later RR, one yellow, one white?

By mid to late 70s aussie releases were more laid back hence ok to include the lady.

My two cents...
    Doesn't this style logo for MAPS indicate mid 70s?  I thought there was a thread where this was discussed but I can't find it.

Sorry Ves but both the two following daybills of McCabe & Mrs.Miller and Klute, which were both classified five months before Clockwork Orange was, have this same style logo as printed on the yellow Clockwoek Orange daybill. 

Lawrence
    My eyes are not that great, but I am pretty sure Klute has the same style as the colour version of Clockwork...I'll pull out my copy and check tomorrow

The MAPS logo on the yellow is more fancy...best way I can describe it
    edited April 4

Is the following the one you remember seeing?

M.A.P.S logo

PanchoPancho Member Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ Daybiller

August 2015 in Dating the Australian Daybill & One Sheet

Hi guys and gals,

One area that I think would help date a lot of daybills is establishing a firm (well as firm as possible) date from when the M.A.P.S logo changed. Using the online database from the OFLC as well as the posters themselves should give us enough info.

I'm struggling to insert images for some reason, but it appears that the logo switched from the plain capitals around mid 1975. Jaws certainly had the new logo when it was certified for release by the OFLC in June 1975. The True Story of Eskimo Nell was passed for release in May 1975 and it's daybill shows the original logo.

What do you think? Are we able to say with some degree of confidence that a M.A.P.S daybill with the original logo has to have been printed between 1967 and mid 1975?

If we overlap that with the ratings system introduced in late 1971, we can close the gap even further.

There were no respnses received to Pancho's above post.

Lawrence
    edited April 5
    So here is my theory....the US Insert has the same company credit.
    A lazy copy for a later RR, one yellow, one white?

By mid to late 70s aussie releases were more laid back hence ok to include the lady.

My two cents...
    The fact that the original US Insert has the reference to the Kinney Company plus the image of the girl within the triangle would actually support the theory that the yellow style daybill is first release. 

However, the M.A.P.S logo does seem to have been used frequently from 1976 although there are some variances.

I guess someone would need to troll through all of the M.A.P.S daybills to be absolutely sure of the timeline for the logos. This can be done through Bruce's auction history but would be very time consuming.

Maybe Lawrence might be able to confirm if and when there were re releases for Clockwork Orange in Australia. According to imdb it was re released in 1988 so if any posters were printed for that release, they would likely be glossy.

It just goes to show that dating Australian daybills can be quite a minefield.
    Post edited by John on
  • RickRick Member Posts: 940 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Strange they would use yellow instead o0f orange, but then yellow seems to be a popular tone in aussie posters

One thing that seems to be overlooked somewhat is the mention of the Sunday Telegraph comment. This comment along with the Kinney company reference surely proves that this poster is first release. I wonder would they use the word new on a re-release poster?
    Lawrence
    HONDO said:

One thing that seems to be overlooked somewhat is the mention of the Sunday Telegraph comment. This comment along with the Kinney company reference surely proves that this poster is first release. I wonder would they use the word new on a re-release poster?
    Yes, it might be possible to find that review on Trove.
    Here is some info:

The sans serif font (no little feet) was used from 1967 – 1975.

Serif font (with feet) on yellow Clockwork 1974 – 1984 approx.

There is some crossover around 1974 – ’75, so it’s not an exact science.

Here is some info:

The sans serif font (no little feet) was used from 1967 – 1975.

Serif font (with feet) on yellow Clockwork 1974 – 1984 approx.

There is some crossover around 1974 – ’75, so it’s not an exact science.

Sorry but I cannot see this image as having a serif font printing. The letter A  in M.A.P.S. is the same width on either side and no feet are visible.
    Lawrence

Here you go...should make it alot clearer and easier to see

Here you go...should make it alot clearer and easier to see

Very interesting.

John are you now able to supply us with a larger clearer image of the M.A.P.S. logo that you previously displayed,which appears below,
     for comparison purposes?

Lawrence

Here is a better image.

I have had a look through Bruce's archives and some of my own images and the Sans Serif image was definitely used extensively on M.A.P.S posters prior to 1973. So far, the only only other daybill with the same printers logo as Clockwork Orange is One Little Indian (1973). 

Does anyone have any information on re releases for Clockwork in Australia? 
    Found rereleases on trove through to 80s...didnt look at specifc dates.

A Spanish Clockwork Orange poster with more explicit nudity than what appears on the modified image appearing on the yellow Australian daybill poster.
    Lawrence

( Trove )

From the Tharunka Kensington publication 4 October 1988, announcing  a coming 1988 re-release. This confirms a 1988 Australian re-release happened, which is credited in IMDB as being 22 September 1988.

( Cinema Treasures / The Sun / courtesy Ron Pettersson ). 

Clockwork Orange and The Devils double bill screening  print advertisement credited as being for screenings at the Barclay Theatre in Sydney. July 1980

( Trove )

From the Tharunka Kensington publication of 11 April 1978 adverting the double bill screenings.

Lawrence
    Well, the poster is clearly not from the 1988 release and I doubt it would be from 1980. The 1978 screening doesn't look like an official re release and not sure if posters would have been printed for that. Another thing to take into account is that the yellow daybill measures 13" x 30".  It is still a bit of a mystery.

This is what OFLC says...so 75 still fits with the timing of the MAPS logo change.