Skip to content

Republic Serials

I have been researching Australian serial daybills. Have found many Universal and Columbia images but the interesting fact is no Republic Pictures daybills appear to have been  printed for Australian first release. Such a pity The only republic serial daybill I have located is an image of  a duotone daybill which I believe is a re-release poster for the 1949 serial King Of The Rocket Men .Great American paper on Republic serial posters in the marketplace so any serial collectors have to settle on collecting it and any other foreign countries that may have printed serial posters.Do we have any members who collect this type of material?_

Hondo

Comments

• Serials are JC territory
  • A full colour King of the Rocketmen daybill would have been good to see but it looks like this one was the only daybill ever released ....

• Indeed John, that would have been a real collector's favourite.

Not a collector of serials by choice, all I have in Aussie paper that I can think of is a AU1SH from 1938, Phantom Gold and I am not so sure it is a serial...
  • The 1938 film Phantom Gold you mentioned David as to you being unsure if it is a serial poster or not isn't one. It is a 56 minute B western released by Columbia Pictures. I haven't seen the Australian one sheet but artwork on the U.S.poster images of this title on emovieposter.com are in the style that reminds one of a serial.  

Hondo

• Thanks. When I had looked up the movie I found it was from a series of eight, but the description did not suggest it was a serial, I wondered if it was due to its length.

The poster itself is based on/lifted from the US one but is in colour as opposed to the duotone of the US version.
  •  Not a Republic Pictures serial, but a serial nevertheless from Columbia Pictures. No Australian posters found to date to my knowledge that I am aware of, so this title is rare as far as advertising material of any description goes. I was thinking members who are keen on serials may be interested in viewing this Australian newspaper classified advertisement from 1940.
  • Came across an image for what looks to be an original release for the Columbia serial "Spider's Web" (the 50s re-release has turned up a few times - interestingly with the ratings circle cut out):

• Looks fantastic. Not often you see a green background on a daybill.
  • Nice one Chris 
  • Very nice! Only had the blue one pass through my hands, never seen the green before.

The blues tend to be ex NZ, hence the decal removal (maybe they ran out of snipes?). The one I had was just sniped, ended up going to John Coiffi, so now back 'home' in Oz.

• A larger, if not clearer image Of The Spider's Web original daybill.

What has always seemed odd to me was that a serial was given a'' Suitable only for adults'' censorship rating . I don't believe I have ever seen a serial given a ''Not suitable for children'' rating , let alone a ''Suitable only for adults'' one.

Note the ''For general exhibition'' rating on the 1939 Australian newspaper advertisement.

Was it perhaps possible the original rating that appears on the daybill was printed in error? With the either late 1940's or early 1950's re-issue poster was it also possible the re-issue rating was copied from the original daybill, then noticing the error the rating was  blacked out on all the copies they had to distrbute? 
  • Fantastic.  Love it!
  • And the daybill:

• Is ok, now go and find us the pretty version ;)
  • Is ok, now go and find us the pretty version ;)
    Sadly I think that is all there is in this case since the serial was only released in 1951 (i.e. not a re-release!)

• Captain Video Master Of The Stratosphere ( 1951 ). A different clearer image of the W.E. Smith original poster, and possibly the only daybill of this title that was printed.

The Phantom Empire ( 1935 ).This one not from Republic Pictures, but it has a close connection nevertheless. This serial was produced by Mascot Pictures Corporation. Mascot Pictures was formed in 1927 and in 1936 they merged with several other companies to form Republic Pictures. For whatever reason the serial was only released by Australia circa 1947 by 20th Century Fox.
  • I've posted this one before

• ZORRO'S FIGHTING LEGION ( 1939 ). 

Interestingly this Republic serial was advertised in the a 1958 newspaper advertisement appearing above, as being a new serial, nineteen years after it was first released. Notice the serial was to be screened at a night time session and not a matinee. Perhaps the cinema owners thought that the intended audience for a ranch night would be less sophisticated in their taste in films. 

• jayn_j said:
    I've posted this one before

Just....wonderful!
  • HONDO said:

A larger, if not clearer image Of The Spider's Web original daybill.

What has always seemed odd to me was that a serial was given a'' Suitable only for adults'' censorship rating . I don't believe I have ever seen a serial given a ''Not suitable for children'' rating , let alone a ''Suitable only for adults'' one.

Note the ''For general exhibition'' rating on the 1939 Australian newspaper advertisement.

Was it perhaps possible the original rating that appears on the daybill was printed in error? With the either late 1940's or early 1950's re-issue poster was it also possible the re-issue rating was copied from the original daybill, then noticing the error the rating was  blacked out on all the copies they had to distrbute? 
    Here is a better image of magnificent The Spider's Web daybill - note the sticker over the original censor details...

• Beautiful John
  • Above image was shared on Facebook - posting for educational, non-profit, vegan wholesomeness only ?
  • Charlie said:
    Yours?
    Nope - but I am trying to be a good soldier and cited Facebook as the source
  • great looking poster!
  • edited December 2018
    Hell yeah! I believe a long time collector that passed away a couple of years ago (Dsvid Riddell) sold it to a collector in the USA. The son made a copy of the original.. some fantastic titles came out of the collection.