Skip to content

Hammer Films & Their Posters

edited April 2015 in Attack of the Censor
I am going re-start this discussion that had started here - I have been in touch with Ari Richards, perhaps one of the most pre-eminent collectors of Hammer Daybills around and also probably one of the more knowledgeable people when it comes to Hammer films. He is lost in Canada somewhere but has agreed to share his poster collection with us to discuss, dissect and then burn at the stake.

So thanks Ari!

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Here are Ari's posters which he has kindly shared with us. There's four parts, I have put them inside spoiler tags (just click) to make it easier to view.

Daybills:

[spoiler] image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image 
    [/spoiler]

[spoiler] image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image[/spoiler]

One Sheets:

[spoiler] image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image[/spoiler]

[spoiler] image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image[/spoiler]
  • edited April 2015

Great display of images including some I have never sighted before.. 

There is a one sheet image of the 1957 film High Flight included in this Hammer exhibition. The film was made by Warwick Film Productions which was formed in the 1950's by Irving Allen and Albert R. Broccoli and they went on to make 22 films and I am not aware of any connection with Hammer Films. If someone would kindly explain to me the reason it was included as a  Hammer Film it would be appreciated as I am always interested in learning something new.

Hondo

• edited April 2015
    Likely Ari has it in there due to the director Gilling. I know he once thought that Warwick was a shell company for Hammer, but he has since found this not to be the case - so will wait to hear from Ari before editing it out.
  • Got a note from Ari:

I think exclusive might have had something to do with the distribution, but I have all my notes at home as to why I thought originally it might be somehow hammer, BUT I always erred on the side of JUST IN CASE. Titles like SHADOW OF THE CAT seems contentious if it would be Hammer or not, but I can't bear to get rid of it, just in case.

Thanks, I'll be interested to read what Hondo says, I have info also on what was banned and what was finally released etc etc but again, sitting at home on my computer. I would be interested in hearing if he has ever seen any Aussie hammer paper I DON'T have.
  • There is a lot of information here about banned Hammer films here ....

http://www.refused-classification.com/default.html

• edited April 2015
    John said:

There is a lot of information here about banned Hammer films here ....

http://www.refused-classification.com/default.html

Good site, I've come across it before but had forgotten about it, just type hammer films in the search box and le voila!

I've sent the owner of the site a link to this site and thread, he/she may or may not like to add their expert knowledge to the conversation.
  • edited April 2015
    David said:
    Got a note from Ari:

I think exclusive might have had something to do with the distribution, but I have all my notes at home as to why I thought originally it might be somehow hammer, BUT I always erred on the side of JUST IN CASE. Titles like SHADOW OF THE CAT seems contentious if it would be Hammer or not, but I can't bear to get rid of it, just in case.

Thanks, I'll be interested to read what Hondo says, I have info also on what was banned and what was finally released etc etc but again, sitting at home on my computer. I would be interested in hearing if he has ever seen any Aussie hammer paper I DON'T have.

Message for Ari.

High Flight was distributed by Columbia not Exclusive as the other Warwick films were at that time.

Without a thorough search happening ,other than the Hammer images that have been posted on this thread,   the other Australian Hammer images I have sighted are ---

On eMovieposter.com Auction History site -

Break In The Circle

Mask Of Dust

Life With The Lyons

On John's  Moviemem site in the Hammer Exhibition Gallery.

A Weekend With Lulu

Fear In The Night

Life With The Lyons ( 2 images )

The Valiant ( BHP who also made The Shadow Of The Cat )

Yesterday's Enemy ( the full colour original daybill )

A note about Hammer Films Australian posters availability and lack of availability. . This fall into 3 groupings.

-           Group A

Films released in Australia at the time of original release from  uncut to censored material removed. Australian film posters available.

Group B

Banned at the time of original release  but reclassified and released at later date and in some cases a decade later. Australian film posters available.

Group  C

Some titles possibly never released theatrically either because in the case of some earlier films they were very minor independent films that never gained an Australian distributor. In the case of horror films some titles from the 1960s  were banned but for whatever reason were either resubmitted before 1971 in reconstructed versions and banned a second time or never resubmitted after 1971 and their first release ended up being on DVD in Australia in the later part of last century.This is a blow for any serious Hammer Films collectors and in particular collectors of Hammer horror titles because there are a few that fall into this area. A blow to any collectors who have set out to collect Australian posters on all of the 1960's Hammer horror titles .Of course no Australian film posters printed and so far it also appears if the films were released in New Zealand,( and this hasn't been established yet ), no paper has surfaced to date. At least a daybill printed for New Zealand, if only a daybill, surely would be better than nothing at all.

Hondo

• edited April 2015

It appears the poster artist who designed the daybill image of Dick Turpin Highwayman for the 1956 Hammer 26 minute short film, has copied directly from the earlier Australian Columbia daybill design of Dick Turpin's Ride ( aka The Lady And The Bandit.) from 1951. The Hammer film starred Philip Friend  as Dick Turpin  but the daybill poster has the Louis Hayward image likeness copied from the original with no attempt to change the likeness of the star.If the two films were distributed by the same company it would make more sense. Being a short film perhaps BEF had little or no overseas material to work on and their only option available was to copy the earlier artwork. The printers also are different. One would love to know the story behind this.

image image 

Hondo

• I guess the artist's defense will be 'it's about the same guy'
  • Dick looks a lot happier in the second one.
  • Almost too happy, whats Dick been taking
  • Dick's happy he is getting to ride again.

Hondo

• The thread of double entendres...
  • edited May 2015
    David said:
    The thread of double entendres...
    "Taking" riding lessons , I meant he's happy because he's been taking riding lessons and riding again ;)
  • Yak Yak Yak.....
  • edited May 2015
    Got this reply from Max who looks after the Refused - Classification website mentioned above who I wrote to about this thread (as did John)

The Hammer films I have listed are as follows

I think this is the full list, but you may want to scan through it again to see if there are any missing.

November 1971 R-rating introduced

These are the only Hammer films that were banned post-R rating. All were eventually cut for release.

The oldest censorship info I have on the site goes back to May 1970 which is when the Censorship Board began to publish data. I'm always interested to hear about censorship from the 1960s and before as that is when it was at its most repressive. You seem to have some knowledgeable people on the forums, so next time I do an update I'll add you to my links page.

BTW, but I'm always on the lookout for ones that are missing.

Thanks
    Max
  • edited May 2015
    David said:

The oldest censorship info I have on the site goes back to May 1970 which is when the Censorship Board began to publish data. I'm always interested to hear about censorship from the 1960s and before as that is when it was at its most repressive. You seem to have some knowledgeable people on the forums, so next time I do an update I'll add you to my links page.

Thanks
    Max

The period from the mid 1950s right through to 1970 covering about 15 years was indeed when Australian film censorship was at it's most repressive . There were approximately well over 50 plus films banned for horror reasons alone, without taking into account other titles banned for violence, sex and other grounds. Some were resubmitted at the time and passed with cuts and in a lot of cases given only a Not Suitable For Children rating. 

A great number were passed only when the heavy censorship hand began to loosen around 1969 and the floodgates did open in late 1971 with a great deal of previously banned films resubmitted and passed mainly with the new R or M certificates ratings. There were a few horror film titles banned in the 1960s that never were passed for commercial exhibition on 35mm at all in the 1970s for whatever reason and eventually turned up on DVD as the first Australian release, so if you are searching for Australian posters, particularly with Hammer titles, be prepared to be disappointed as this isn't going to occur ever. There is always going to be an unfilled wish list.

Hondo

• A rare Hammer title. The daybill was printed for the New Zealand release only as the film was banned in Australia and not released theatricaly. If you are a Hammer film daybill collector this is the one and only daybill to seek out. The design was printed on the stock ''For Your Entertainment" poster used by both BEF in Australia and International Film Distributors in New Zealand. The ''For Your Entertainment'' daybill  was it seems only used from around 1971,when the new classifications were introduced in Australia, and into the early 1970s. . I am not sure when they may have been used in New Zealand  but I think it would have been early 1970s also. Most of the daybills I have sighted  have designs printed on them by the distributors with varying degrees of quality of the images, but I have sighted one blank daybill with just the film's title and classification printed on  poster most likely by the theatre owner. Interesting Hammer Films were involved in the making of Demons Of The Mind but no mention of them on the daybill.

Hondo

• Hammers out-put had been taken over by EMI around 1970.  They did some odd things when marketing, such as not using Quads for most of the films made that year. They made sure their logo was on all the posters they did put out, much like the Demons one posted above..  I'm guessing they didn't think adding the Hammer name was as important  as using theirs.

• Birth Of a Monster Australian daybill , U.S.A. insert with the film titled Enemy From Space there, and a U. K quad poster with the original country of origin title of Quatrernass 11 ( 1957 ).

• Made For Laughs is a extremely  little known Hammer Films - Exclusive Films U.K. production / release from 1952. The above Australian daybills were produced in the 1950s for an Australian release by IFD. A short film comedy with a 34 minute running time. The daybill is misleading in that it appears that it is a Charlie Chaplin film, when the film is an anthology film and Chaplin is only one of many comedians featured in the film including  some little known today British born comedians. More details on www2.bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/4ce2b73dad85d

This has to be the most unusual film to ever come from Hammer Films.