Skip to content

24 Sheet Billboard Posters

24 sheet U.S. Billboard Poster.

I would like to do a little research on the 24 sheet billboard poster. Are there any known existing Australian 24 sheets still in existence. There were no returns of these posters so only warehouse stock , if any, would have been left over. Very little is written about this style so I am eager to learn more about them and to  see some images if anyone has any.

Hondo

Comments

• Bruce does not appear to have ever sold one and I do not recall ever seeing an Aussie version of one.  That's not to say they did not exist.  Perhaps someone has some Aussie pressbooks they can have a gander at?
  • From memory Niagara had a 24 sheet. Matt has the Aus press sheet so might check.
    I know of one 16 or 24 sheet that still exists, but not sure if is Aussie printed. Wasn't a big name title.

Another U. S. 24 sheet.

Hondo

• edited June 2015
    Mark said:
    From memory Niagara had a 24 sheet.

Nice to know your memory is still working O.K.

The U.S. 24 sheet.

Hondo

• I would love to see an image, any image, of an Australian printed 24 sheet. Let it not defeat us.

Hondo

• edited June 2015

Fantastic images and thanks for that Reg.

If one is to go into Google and search for ''7 old school sci-fi movie posters that sold for $ 2 million'' you will read a very interesting article  and see  6 great images of classic U.S. 24 sheet sci-fi posters including the When Worlds Collide image that I posted earlier. The site is www.geektyrant.com. which I didn't know about until now.

Hondo

• I wonder who the printers were that produced and printed the Australian 24 sheets?  W.F.Schey produced 24 sheet posters in Australia but I am uncertain if their output included film posters or not.

Hondo.

• edited June 2015
    The poster I know of belonged to an ex employee of Robert Burton. I have seen it folded up, but not laid out. I imagine they are just made of 24 x 1 sheet size pieces, but only guessing.
    A long time ago someone in Lismore was advertising a few billboard size posters, but I never saw them personally.

Along with Niagara, Matt also has Aussie When Worlds Collide press sheet. Testing my memory, but I seem to remember there being six sheets listed. Numb nuts will confirm! 
    :P
  • It's anyone's guess, however Victory Publicity had the machinery that could do that sort of work, they were well known for printing hand drawn 24 sheet posters. 

• edited June 2015
    • Funny Face: 24 Sheeters, Three Sheeters, One Sheets, Daybills

• Niagara: 24 Sheeters, Three Sheeters, One Sheets, Daybills

• When Worlds Collide: 24 Sheeters, Six Sheeters, Three Sheeters, One Sheets, Special One Sheeters, Daybills

Numb Nuts

• Excellent. Thanks Matt.

Lawrence

• I have been trying to find where I had stored these on my PC all day today...I can't remember where I got them from, but somewhere on the interwebs many moons ago.  I am not sure of the dimensions, but here you go...

imageimage

These of more interest...look at the tables:image

• Brilliant.You said on another thread that you are not good at quizzes but you are certainly good at posting great images. Do you have any more details on them?

Lawrence

• No unfortunately not.  I stumbled upon a website many years ago now, and just grabbed the images and nothing else (kicking myself now).  I've tried to relocate it many times, but with no luck...
  • Just to see the Capitol images was great.

Lawrence

• I have a few more...let me start a new thread

• Can't wait.

Lawrence

• Awesome images Ves! 
  • Beautiful. Also intrigued by the 'special' one sheet for WWC
  • This may get ya'll started, a quick look on the Love Story turned up this:

• WOO HOO...good Job David, finally someone with better searching skills than myself!

That is where they came from!

• Which may solve one part of the query.

The business is Snap Adds Pty Ltd, I will have to look into them (unless someone else knows) but I guess they either distributed the paper or put them up? 

• Actually they were the printer....
  • edited June 2015

Here is another at the Balmain theatre (dated 1939):

• Rats of Tobrukimage

• Fantastic. Where did you locate this from Matt?

• From the DVD photo feature section. Also there is Doco on Charles and Elsa Chauevel. A must watch for any fan of Australian films. 
  • From Bruce's personal collection of pressbooks this beautiful colour image of a 24 sheet billboard poster announcing a very special deal RKO was prepared to do for U.S. exhibitors in 1955. Imagine how great the poster would have looked and hopefully no vehicles driven by males drove of the road.