Skip to content

Australia Day Quiz - The A to Z of Australian Cinema

I know you guys are not necessarily so keen on another quiz, so before I put it together, thought I would ask...

Keen on a new quiz to celebrate Australia Day?  What better subject than Australian Cinema!

For each letter of the alphabet, I'll post images from posters for aussie films (probably two sets - a hard and easy set) and you just have to guess which movie...and for David an extra half point if you post the full image along with the title.

Now before our non-aussie members sigh a collective grown...I will do my best to ensure as many internationally known films and posters are represented in the quiz.

It will be a points system...the member to score the most points wins!

Wins what you say?  A movie poster for an aussie film of course!

I will go through my hoards of posters at home and post up a bunch you can choose from, and the winner gets to pick.

What say you?

Comments

• As they say, "I'm in like Flynn" - which is of course a nod to another Aussie.
  • Sounds a good idea to me. Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi!
  • :) When is the kick off Ves?
  • Pulling it together as I type...Should start early to mid next week.

I was going to post the prize choices but then they might give away some of the answers.

• To enable everyone interested in competing would it be possible to be advised in advance the Australian time the quiz will commence ?
  • Yep...let me get it all finalised, then I will post over the weekend when it will start :)
  • I have been trying to think of a way to make this fair for everyone who wishes to participate both from here and overseas. There are many factors that will hinder one's chances of being able to participate on an even playing field. People like myself and David have an unfair advantage in being able to access this site more often than perhaps some others and this along with time frame differences, people working and many other factors I believe I have come up with something that may work so as to help everyone to have a chance to win.

My idea is for let's say  for a week each individual may only submit a certain number of answers and let's say only up to a maximum of ten. The second week another ten is allowed or more if they didn't make the ten the previous week and so on but never more than the progressive total answered of 20 for week two, 30 for week three, 40 for week four and so on. By doing this everyone who wishes to participate has an equal chance of winning.

• Been busy all weekend.

Planning on starting this quiz  Mid week.

Watch this space...prolly try to get it all finalised tomorrow, and up either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Oki doki…

So the rules:

There will be two sets of images for each letter, an easier and a harder set.  The full sets will be posted to the thread.

The easier set will comprise of international posters and aussie posters from our more well known films.  The harder set will contain some more obscure titles that will require a bit more digging if you aren't familiar with aussie cinema.

If you answer from the easy set you get 1 point, if you answer from the hard 2 points.

If you are one of our overseas members you get 3 points for answering from the harder set.

Your full set of answers must be in by end of day Tuesday 26th.  That will give anyone who wants to participate a full week.  Am open to making it longer, but I don’t think it will be necessary.

Taking into consideration Lawrence’s suggestion that it might be a little unfair for non aussie members due to time difference etc., I’ve decided that the answers you provide to me MUST NOT BE POSTED TO THE THREAD.  This way if it takes certain members a bit more time to get to answer it won’t matter…

So, once you believe you have the full set of answers – or as much of the set as you want to answer (for either the easier set, the harder set or both), PM your full list of answers to me, and once the quiz is over, I will tally up and announce winners and prizes.  There will be lots to choose from, but you know, no Orange Mad Max or anything like that…J

If you are really stuck and want some clues on anything, feel free to post your request to the thread, and I or other members who believe they have the answers can chime in with some clues BUT NOT THE ANSWER.

Once the quiz is over, I will post the answers for both sets, anything which might not be answered we can tackle then.

How does that sound?  If all good, I will post up the images tonight when I get home.

• Sounds good.
  • Does sound fair to one and all,
  • One more thing...if the film title begins with "The" or "A" you can ignore and consider it beginning with the first letter of the next word.

Also, a couple issues with some letters in that I couldn't find movies that begin with that letter, so they will be indicated with a contains the letter...

Finally, I tried to refrain as much as I could from picking the most obscure titles that hardly anyone has heard of...it was tempting, but thought it unfair...

• EASY SET:

A.

B.

C.

D.

E.

F.

G.

H.

I.

J.

K.

L.

M.

N.

O.

P.

Q.

R.

S.

T.

U.

V.

W.

X. (Doesn't start with X but contains X in the title)

Y.

Z. (Doesn't start with Z but contains Z in the title)

• HARD SET:

A.

B.

C.

D.

E.

F.

G.

H.

I.

J.

K.

L.

M.

N.

O.

P.

Q.

R.

S.

T.

U.

V.

W.

X. (Doesn't start with X but contains X in the title)

Y.

Z.

• It is interesting and will be a challenge. Some of the easy ones I find hard and some of the hard ones to me are easily identified. As I just said an interesting quiz and we need to thank Ves for taking what would amount to some considerable time in preparing the quiz and this I know from experience.
  • Lots of pretty paper for sure!  It was fun to do and go through all the paper out there!

If you know a thing or two about aussie cinema, I think you will find most of both lists easy...there are a couple of curly ones in there because I was restricted with choices for that particular letter...

Anywho, have fun guys...I hope we get a few people entering and I look forward to your answers! :)

• Got my first lot of answers in...well done!

Still a few more days for anyone else wanting to participate!

• Great quiz Vesna

Did the first lot of answers include answers to every image?

• John said:

Did the first lot of answers include answers to every image?

Did your answers?
  • Last chance for any stragglers...
  • Many thanks to Lawrence, David and Sven for your answers!

As there were only 3 of you entered, everyone gets a prize.

I am at work today but sore back permitting I will try to post up full images and answers for both sets tonight, but most likely tomorrow.  Will also advise who our winner is!

• Sorry Ves... I started and then just didn't make it.  Great effort on your part!
  • Charlie said:
    Sorry Ves... I started and then just didn't make it. 
    Me too but enjoyed looking through the images. Quite a few that I couldn't work out.
  • Yayyyyyyy a prize! I never win anything ever (seriously) so quite excited!

Thanks Ves for putting in the effort to get the quiz up and running!

• Results, we want to know how much Lawrence smashed us by...

Great effort putting it together Ves, would have been nice to see a few more regulars participate, but we do have a lot of lurkers so to be expected.
  • Your answers:

The Easy Set:

Animal Kingdom Australian One Sheet

Bad Boy Bubby Australian One Sheet

The Cars That Ate Paris French Grande

Daybreakers US One Sheet

Evil Angel Quad

Finding Nemo Australian One Sheet

Gallipoli Turkish One Sheet

The Hard Word Quad

Iron Sky Quad

Jedda Spanish

Kangaroo Australian Daybill

The Loved Ones Australian DVD Release Print

Mary and Max Australian One Sheet

Ned Kelly German

Oranges and Sunshine Australian One Sheet

Patrick Quad

The Queen in Australia Australian Daybill

Road Games US One Sheet

Stone Quad

Turkeyshoot Quad

Undead US One Sheet

Van Diemen's Land Australian One Sheet

Wake In Fright Polish

Mad Max Italian Foglio

The Year of Living Dangerously Quad

Race For the Yankee Zephyr Australian One Sheet

• Your Answers:

The Hard Set:

Age of Consent Australian Daybill

Bait 3D Australian One Sheet

The Coca Cola Kid Argentine One Sheet

Dead End Drive In US One Sheet

Eureka Stockade Argentine One Sheet

The Flying Doctor  Australian Long Daybill

Griff the Invisible Australian One Sheet

Harlequin Thai

Island Australian One Sheet

Japanese Story Quad

The Killing of Angel Street Yugoslav

Long Weekend French Petite

Midnite Spares German

The Nullabor Nymph Australian One Sheet

The Odd Angry Shot Danish

Puberty Blues Turkish

The Quiet Room US One Sheet

The Rage in Placid Lake Australian One Sheet

The Shiralee Russian

Thirst Argentine One Sheet

Undercover Australian Daybill

The View From Greenhaven Australian One Sheet

Wild Innocence French Grande

BMX Bandits Quad

Yolngu Boy Australian One Sheet

Zone 39 Australian One Sheet

• edited January 2016
    Your winner:

Lawrence with a score of 58, closely followed by David with a score of 48.5 (you got Mad Max but not fury road so I was generous and gave you .5).  Sven brings up the rear with a solid 11 :)

I need to pull together all the images of your prize pool so you can choose...should have that up later tonight...so check back then
  • Your Prize Pool:

I tried to pick a diverse range, well as diverse as I could!

I "should" have everything I've posted below, and for some, I will have multiple copies...so to our 3 winners, email or PM me your top 3 choices, that way if I don't have choice 1 you will get 2 etc...and they will be done in order of our winners.

As a special bonus, I will pick another pretty piece of aussie paper that I think you would like, not for an aussie film and include with your choice...so it will be a nice (I hope) surprise when you get it!

One Sheets:

Daybills:

Minis:

• Cool. 

And as they say Sven, at least you competed, boo to the lurkers... ;)

Looks like there is a great grab bag to choose from, as there apparently is nothing from the Big Apple, buy me a coffee next time our paths cross... it was fun to compete.

Great effort Ves, I am sure Lawrence will concur when I say it takes a lot to put together something like this - so well done, and thanks.