Skip to content

May 2018

Comments

• a bit of a fun one.  Just received a century old 'naughty' lobby

This was on the back

• Oh Wow!  That is a spectacular lobby.
    Jay you are bad!  You make regret not collecting these early ones.  Such fantastic images!

Dunno about the bath next to the breakfast nook...
  • Guess who is one lucky bastard?

•  :o 
  • Best thing about this poster is that it came from a provincial theater that worked from the 30s to the 60s and had a bar instead of a lobby... It opened from 10 am to well past midnight and it's audience was mostly kids who skipped school, office men who skipped office and people who loved to drink. For obvious reasons, female attendance to this particular theater was not well seen by the locals. Lovely 
  • Wow that is awesome Matias congrats!   I love the movie too

Do you know what year it is from?   Doesn't look 1933 but I could be wrong...
  • Crikey!!!
  • Not sure Chris. Radium films corporation was active in the 30s, the theater was also, but it may very well be a poster for a later release. Bruce sold one as 1933 release, Heritage did too, and no other argentinean poster for this film is known, so I tend to believe it is a first release, even though I can't confirm this first release was indeed in 1933
  • I thought Bruce's was just one of his leasable photos not an actual auction result?
  • I thought Bruce's was just one of his leasable photos not an actual auction result?
    True. I looked for it at the auction history but didn't read the detail
  • Saw the Heritage result - 1933 it is.  Fabulous! ?
  • Saw the Heritage result - 1933 it is.  Fabulous! ?
    That is, if Heritage's info is correct. It was not uncommon at all that US or european films were shown down here one -or a couple- years later than its country of origin release date.
  • 110x75 said:
    Saw the Heritage result - 1933 it is.  Fabulous! ?
    That is, if Heritage's info is correct. It was not uncommon at all that US or european films were shown down here one -or a couple- years later than its country of origin release date.
    Of course but since this is YOURS I am going to stick with 1933!

• Of course but since this is YOURS I am going to stick with 1933!
    That's why I like you! ;)
  • Wow Matias!!! Congrats!!  :)

Could someone please post the ha link? 
  • 110x75 said:
    Guess who is one lucky bastard?

I agree...you lucky lucky bastard!
  • 110x75 said:
    Guess who is one lucky bastard?

Very nice, Matias! Great looking poster! Colors, artwork, and in great shape! 
  • Still can't believe it! =)
  • You deserve it Matias, that is first rate, well done for getting it.
  • edited May 2018
    Came across these today, all obviously not without fault, but certainly close to pulling the tigger.

The Falcon In Danger 

Shaghai Gesture

Coastal Command 

The falcon is sadly trimmed (I'm assuming due to the tail of the R missing) and Shanghai has some rather unsubtle red censorship.

back later today to hopefully seal the deal.
  • Hopefully you score them.  Good chance the Falcon isn't trimmed - many RKOs are like that but measure width to be sure (likely approx 12.75 inches if not trimmed)
  • Also great to see and Aussie version of the Shanghai Gesture (mine appearing to be NZ)
  • Hopefully you score them.  Good chance the Falcon isn't trimmed - many RKOs are like that but measure width to be sure (likely approx 12.75 inches if not trimmed)
    Thanks, I hope so to. Unfortunately they are in a local antique store and every time the dealer put a price out (and I agreed to it) he backed off then increased it, happened 4 times (thinks he has gold) hence why I walked out. 
  • Good luck!  Some loverly posters.
  • Good luck!  Some loverly posters.
    Thanks Ves, I'm picturing them post restoration and liking very much what I see. 
  • Falcon is wonderful! I think a wash and press is enough to bring it back to life  rather than a linen backing also
  • agreed with all. wonderful looking daybills! good luck with purchase!
  • edited May 2018

Love The Falcon In Danger. I have never seen an image of this one before. Even if the poster is trimmed, it still looks great. This is only the sixth RKO Falcon daybill I know of that exists. There were originally thirteen released by RKO titles between 1941 and 1946, so there are seven more that I would love to see images of.

The Australian printed censorship version of Shanghai Gesture I also haven't seen before. The most likely printed for New Zealand censorship version is the only one we have seen to date, and if it is the case, and I believe it is, it would make it a very rare Australian printed W.E. Smith daybill for use in N.Z. from the 1940's to surface in Australia, and the have the censorship to be printed this way as well is most likely a first sighted on a poster.. Multitudes of 1950's and later printed daybills printed here for N.Z. use that we see today are either blank, stamped or sniped.

A rare 1943 film poster of Coastal Command. To find original film paper from anywhere in the world doesn't happen very often. A small amount of original paper from the U.S.A. exists and also four very rare original theatrical Australian lobby cards were sold by Bruce in 2011. The lobby cards had to be designed and printed for BEF in Australia, as the overseas posters and cards were distributed in the U.K. by Paramount British and in the U.S.A. by RKO Radio.
  • HONDO said:

Love The Falcon In Danger. I have never seen an image of this one before. Even if the poster is trimmed, it still looks great. This is only the sixth RKO Falcon daybill I know of that exists. There were originally thirteen released by RKO so there are seven more that I would love to see images of.

The Australian printed censorship version of Shanghai Gesture I also haven't seen before. The most likely printed for New Zealand censorship version is the only one we have seen to date, and if it is the case, and I believe it is, it would make it a very rare Australian printed W.E. Smith daybill for use in N.Z. from the 1940's to surface in Australia, and the have the censorship to be printed this way as well is most likely a first sighted on a poster.. Multitudes of 1950's and later printed daybills printed here for N.Z. use that we see today are either blank, stamped or sniped.

A rare 1943 film poster of Coastal Command. To find original film paper from anywhere in the world doesn't happen very often. A small amount of original paper from the U.S.A. exists and also four very rare original theatrical Australian lobby cards were sold by Bruce in 2011. The lobby cards had to be designed and printed as the overseas posters and cards were distributed in the U.K. by Paramount British and in the U.S.A. by RKO Radio.
    Let's hope the antique dealer doesn't read this synopsis ;)