Skip to content

May 2018

Comments

• HONDO said:

Love The Falcon In Danger. I have never seen an image of this one before. Even if the poster is trimmed, it still looks great. This is only the sixth RKO Falcon daybill I know of that exists. There were originally thirteen released by RKO titles between 1941 and 1946, so there are seven more that I would love to see images of.

The Australian printed censorship version of Shanghai Gesture I also haven't seen before. The most likely printed for New Zealand censorship version is the only one we have seen to date, and if it is the case, and I believe it is, it would make it a very rare Australian printed W.E. Smith daybill for use in N.Z. from the 1940's to surface in Australia, and the have the censorship to be printed this way as well is most likely a first sighted on a poster.. Multitudes of 1950's and later printed daybills printed here for N.Z. use that we see today are either blank, stamped or sniped.

A rare 1943 film poster of Coastal Command. To find original film paper from anywhere in the world doesn't happen very often. A small amount of original paper from the U.S.A. exists and also four very rare original theatrical Australian lobby cards were sold by Bruce in 2011. The lobby cards had to be designed and printed as the overseas posters and cards were distributed in the U.K. by Paramount British and in the U.S.A. by RKO Radio.
    Many thanks for that wealth of information, it was actually a single Dunkirk daybill (which I've been after for a while to improve upon my rather tatty one) that drew me to enquire if he had any others. The Coastal Command daybill is certainly a gem and will hopefully be mine should things work out shortly.
  • HONDO said:

Love The Falcon In Danger. I have never seen an image of this one before. Even if the poster is trimmed, it still looks great. This is only the sixth RKO Falcon daybill I know of that exists. There were originally thirteen released by RKO so there are seven more that I would love to see images of.

The Australian printed censorship version of Shanghai Gesture I also haven't seen before. The most likely printed for New Zealand censorship version is the only one we have seen to date, and if it is the case, and I believe it is, it would make it a very rare Australian printed W.E. Smith daybill for use in N.Z. from the 1940's to surface in Australia, and the have the censorship to be printed this way as well is most likely a first sighted on a poster.. Multitudes of 1950's and later printed daybills printed here for N.Z. use that we see today are either blank, stamped or sniped.

A rare 1943 film poster of Coastal Command. To find original film paper from anywhere in the world doesn't happen very often. A small amount of original paper from the U.S.A. exists and also four very rare original theatrical Australian lobby cards were sold by Bruce in 2011. The lobby cards had to be designed and printed as the overseas posters and cards were distributed in the U.K. by Paramount British and in the U.S.A. by RKO Radio.
    Let's hope the antique dealer doesn't read this synopsis ;)
    Haha! He very well may of done as he's now closed earlier than he said (I'm hoping it's to ready himself for royal wedding coverage and NOT to Google those titles  ;))
  • HONDO said:

Love The Falcon In Danger. I have never seen an image of this one before. Even if the poster is trimmed, it still looks great. This is only the sixth RKO Falcon daybill I know of that exists. There were originally thirteen released by RKO so there are seven more that I would love to see images of.

Haha! He very well may of done as he's now closed earlier than he said (I'm hoping it's to ready himself for royal wedding coverage and NOT to Google those titles  ;))
    And here I thought the Aussies and Kiwis really despised the royal family...
  • edited May 2018
    And here I thought the Aussies and Kiwis really despised the royal family...
    Not all, although I'm sure many do. Myself, I'm originally from Windsor and spent a loooong time in the military there, so am actually quite looking forward to 'tonight's' event, sadly that hours of build up and cringeworthy interviews is likely to be very painful.
  • HONDO said:

No it was a U.K. tourist / collector who purchased it earlier on in the day. After your last enthusiastic appearance there the dealer bumped up the price and sold it, reaping enough profit from that one sale to warrant leaving early for the day ton go for a drink.. 
  • HONDO said:
    No it was a U.K. tourist / collector who purchased it earlier on in the day. After your last enthusiastic appearance there the dealer bumped up the price and sold it, reaping enough profit from that one sale to warrant leaving early for the day ton go for a drink.. 
    haha! Never have I wanted someone to be so wrong!! 

• A correction to be made aware of. I have completed an alteration on my original reply to Wil's three daybill posting, but in the cases of where Chris and Wil have repeated my original reply, I am unable to correct it. Please take note that where I mentioned that there are six Falcon RKO daybills sighted and seven remaining to seen, that due to an oversight this was incorrectly recorded. It should have read that there were five sighted and eight remaining to be seen.
  • HONDO said:

A correction to be made aware of. I have completed an alteration on my original reply to Wil's three daybill posting, but in the cases of where Chris and Wil have repeated my original reply, I am unable to correct it. Please take note that where I mentioned that there are six Falcon RKO daybills sighted and seven remaining to seen, that due to an oversight this was incorrectly recorded. It should have read that there were five sighted and eight remaining to be seen.
    Is there a separate thread about which ones are missing?
  • I have an image of The Falcon Strikes Back but I think most people on this forum have seen it
  • edited May 2018
    Noted Lawrence. A thread of all known examples would be good. Could start with yours Sven.

• Noted Lawrence. A thread of all known examples would be good. Could start with yours Sven.
    I have just started a new stand alone Falcon daybill thread. Six known daybill images, (  I found another one ), appear on it, so if Sven would be kind enough to let us see his image of The Falcon Strikes Back on this thread it would be most appreciated. Anyone else that may have any other images of a RKO Falcon daybill please let us see them also.
  •  Thanks Sven for the image.
  • HONDO said:
     Thanks Sven for the image.
    No worries!
  • The beast finally turned up! B)

It was my first time of dealing with Heritage and although I've heard mixed reviews, overall they weren't too bad, with the only exceptions being a slow email response time and their packaging wasn't a patch on EMP. 
  • WOO HOO!  One step closer to the wall!  Congrats.  He is stunning.
  • Well done Wil and such  a stunning image.
  • Impressive Ivanhoe
  • 110x75 said:
    Impressive Ivanhoe
    Agreed!
  • Thanks all, luckily now having a new house/virgin walls to play with, placing it in theory shouldn't be a problem.

That said, measuring 1.5 x 2.45m (including a modest frame width)  there's only two places it can actually squeeze into! 
  • Impressive poster!
  • Thanks all, luckily now having a new house/virgin walls to play with, placing it in theory shouldn't be a problem.

That said, measuring 1.5 x 2.45m (including a modest frame width)  there's only two places it can actually squeeze into! 

That's the issue with extra large paper! I know Charlie had that issue with his just spectacular TCAT 6-Sheet, and I have beautiful Fr 2P Cleopatra that I'm stumpted where it will go....although having the poster is half the fun! :smile:

That's the issue with extra large paper! I know Charlie had that issue with his just spectacular TCAT 6-Sheet, and I have beautiful Fr 2P Cleopatra that I'm stumpted where it will go....although having the poster is half the fun! :smile:
    Your not wrong! Only my wife says it can't stay on the kitchen island for much longer  ;)

Your not wrong! Only my wife says it can't stay on the kitchen island for much longer  ;)
    Kitchen Island?!!! That's brave! My wife'd be cooking spaghetti nearby and :open_mouth:
  • Nice score!!!
  • Wow!!! I'd use it as a throw rug. ;)
  • Super looking poster Will ! 
  • Another arrival this week, obviously not stunning artwork, but I've been after a decent style B tri-fold to linen back and complete my US OS set for a while, so happy to finally tick it off. 

• Love the blue and simplicity of the Style B! Nice!
  • The beast finally turned up! B)

It was my first time of dealing with Heritage and although I've heard mixed reviews, overall they weren't too bad, with the only exceptions being a slow email response time and their packaging wasn't a patch on EMP. 
    Is there a printers name on this?

• Paul said
    Is there a printers name on this?