Skip to content

Lack of stock posters

Hi!

I love collecting RR and stock daybills; I find them a fascinating part of Aussie movie history. I've been thinking lately about the lack of variety of films in the stock daybills, though.

For example, these are the only 2 designs I've seen for this pretty damn great stock poster:

4d563 EXORCIST Australian daybill R80s William Friedkin Max Von Sydow wild bizarre clip art  k557 DRACULA SUCKS Australian daybill movie poster 79 adult sexy horror

So why create a stock poster if they were utilized so infrequently?

'The Exorcist' was initially granted an R rating in 1974 and it would appear that 'Dracula Sucks' was passed initially with an R rating in 1980 and then subsequently re-rated in 1983. 

Without knowing when 'The Exorcist' stock poster may have been printed (and I do have several other, different RR daybills for it), that's still a big chunk of time for this style of stock poster to have been available for use. It is a full size 13 x 30 daybill and it has the newer MAPS logo, placing it as being printed between 1975 and 1979. For reference, the original 'Exorcist' daybill (from 1974) has the older MAPS logo.

'The Exorcist II' was released in Australia in 1977, so it's reasonable to suggest that some cinemas might have played the original film as part of a double bill at the time. If so, it's possible that a RR daybill was printed at that time. My view is that, if there was such a RR daybill created, it probably would have been one of the others that I have and not have been the one pictured - due mainly to the lack of other films using that style of stock poster.

I think that this RR stock poster was created later in the 1970s.

Ultimately, the lack of use for this style of stock poster is likely to remain a mystery, but I'd love to hear your thoughts and especially find out of other examples of this stock poster exist!

Comments

• Assuming Bruce used the term from the 'get-go' then he has not sold many stock Daybills nor any other title in the same design

127 Items 

9w984 UNIVERSAL Aust daybill 1950s cool different art Merry Monahans
    UNIVERSAL (AUST STOCK)

Film Year:1950s
    Size:Aust daybill
    Condition:fair to good
    Extra Info:fully foldedstock
    Sold:9/21/2017
    Sold For:$12.00
    8g988 TARZAN Aust daybill 1970s swinging into the most dangerous jungle adventures
    TARZAN (1970s Australian stock)

Film Year:1970s
    Condition:good to very good
    Sold:7/20/2017
    Sold For:$30.00
    6g776 ABBOTT  COSTELLO STOCK Aust daybill 40s different art of Bud and Lou
    ABBOTT & COSTELLO STOCK ('60s)

Film Year:1960s
    Condition:poor
    Sold:4/27/2017
    Sold For:$22.00
    4r696 ELVIS PRESLEY STOCK Aust daybill 70s six great images of the rock  roll king performing
    ELVIS PRESLEY STOCK

Condition:very good
    Sold:2/16/2017
    Sold For:$20.00
    4r936 TARZAN Aust daybill 60s art of the heroes with a knife in his mouth
    TARZAN (1960s stock)

Sold:2/16/2017
    Sold For:$24.00
    2r991 WALT DISNEY Aust daybill 40s wonderful art of Mickey Goofy Donald  more
    WALT DISNEY ('40s stock)

Film Year:1940s
    Sold:11/24/2016
    Sold For:$86.00
    1z345 SCREAMING BONE-CRUSHING HORROR Aust daybill 70s Christopher Lee  Vincent Price
    SCREAMING BONE-CRUSHING HORROR

Sold:10/27/2016
    Sold For:$12.00
    1c930 SCREAMING BONE-CRUSHING HORROR Aust daybill 70s Christopher Lee  Vincent Price

Sold:9/22/2016
    Sold For:$10.00
    5r563 SCREAMING BONE-CRUSHING HORROR Aust daybill 70s Christopher Lee  Vincent Price

Sold:3/17/2016
    Sold For:$9.00
    4r362 MGM Aust daybill 40s The Ziegfeld Girl Stewart Garland Lamarr Turner Martin
    MGM ('40s Aust stock)

Sold:2/4/2016
    Sold For:$25.00
    4r461 UNIVERSAL Aust daybill 50s cool different cowboy western stone litho artwork Westbound
    UNIVERSAL (AUST STOCK)

Sold:2/4/2016
    Sold For:$1.00
    9g125 20TH CENTURY FOX Aust daybill 71 Dirty Marry Crazy Larry
    20TH CENTURY FOX ('70s daybill stock)

Condition:very good to fine
    Sold:8/6/2015
    Sold For:$19.00
    9g284 SCREAMING BONE-CRUSHING HORROR Aust daybill 70s Christopher Lee  Vincent Price

Sold:8/6/2015
    8r738 ELVIS PRESLEY STOCK Aust daybill 70s six great images of the rock  roll king performing
    ELVIS PRESLEY STOCK

Sold:7/9/2015
    Sold For:$38.00
    7z130 NEW WALT DISNEY MICKEY MOUSE long Aust daybill 32 cartoon art of Mickey with pie-cut eyes
    NEW WALT DISNEY MICKEY MOUSE

Film Year:1932
    Extra Info:fully foldedstocklong
    Sold:6/11/2015
    Sold For:$435.00
    6s833 FISTS OF FURY 2nd printing Aust daybill R70s art of kung fu master Bruce Lee Fist of Fury
    FISTS OF FURY ('73)

Film Year:1971
    Extra Info:fully foldedR70sstockalternate title
    Sold:4/19/2015
    Sold For:$17.00
    3t449 NEW WALT DISNEY MICKEY MOUSE long Aust daybill 32 cartoon art of Mickey with pie-cut eyes

Extra Info:fully foldedlongstock
    Sold:12/14/2014
    Sold For:$529.00
    1y822 MARX BROTHERS FUNNIER THAN EVER stock Aust daybill 70s wacky art Go West
    MARX BROTHERS FUNNIER THAN EVER (STOCK)

Sold:9/23/2014
    Sold For:$4.00
  •    

9p660 GOOFY Aust daybill 40s art of Goofy skiing reading and boxing How To Fish
    GOOFY (Aust stock)

Extra Info:stockfully folded
    Sold:4/10/2012
    Sold For:$255.00
    8d583 MGM stock Aust daybill 53 stone litho art of boxers fighting car chase  more Battle Circus
    MGM ('50s Aust stock)

Sold:2/9/2012
    8d892 SCREAMING BONE-CRUSHING HORROR Aust daybill 70s montage wChristopher Lee  Vincent Price

Sold For:$14.00
    8d965 TODAY  TOMORROW Aust daybill 40s cool newsreel stone litho Fraud Fighters
    TODAY & TOMORROW

Sold For:$45.00
    6s208 TROMBONE TROUBLE linen Aust daybill 44 Walt Disney great full-length image of Donald Duck
    TROMBONE TROUBLE

Film Year:1944
    Extra Info:stocklinen
    Sold:12/4/2011
    Sold For:$365.00
    1r009 NEW WALT DISNEY MICKEY MOUSE long Aust daybill 32 great cartoon image with pie-cut eyes

Extra Info:longstockfully folded
    Sold:4/19/2011
    Sold For:$230.00
    1h029 GRAND CENTRAL MURDER stock Aust daybill 42 created by MGM for their movies
    GRAND CENTRAL MURDER

Film Year:1942
    Sold:4/7/2011
    Sold For:$24.00
    1h048 TROMBONE TROUBLE stock Aust daybill 44 Walt Disney great full-length image of Donald Duck
    TROMBONE TROUBLE

Sold:4/7/2011
    Sold For:$89.00
    1g200 PUT-PUT TROUBLES linen long Aust daybill 40 full-length cartoon art of Disneys Donald Duck
    PUT-PUT TROUBLES

Film Year:1937
    Extra Info:linenstock
    Sold:4/5/2011
    Sold For:$499.00
    7m109 NEW WALT DISNEY MICKEY MOUSE Aust daybill 32 great cartoon image with pie-cut eyes

Sold:12/2/2010
    Sold For:$557.00
    7e679 SCREAMING BONE-CRUSHING HORROR Aust daybill 70s horror stock poster cool art images

Sold:11/18/2010
    Sold For:$7.00
    6g040 NEW WALT DISNEY MICKEY MOUSE Aust daybill 32 great cartoon artwork of Mickey

Condition:good
    Extra Info:longstocktri-folded
    Sold:10/7/2010
    Sold For:$494.00
    4e645 COLUMBIA PICTURES Aust daybill 50s stock cool art of Columbias stars
    COLUMBIA PICTURES ('50s STOCK)

Sold:7/1/2010
    Sold For:$8.00
    4e816 MECHANIC stock Aust daybill 72 Charles Bronson he has more than a dozen ways to kill
    MECHANIC ('72)

Film Year:1972
    Sold For:$3.00
    4e841 NEW WALT DISNEY MICKEY MOUSE Aust daybill 32 great cartoon image of Minnie  Mickey

Sold For:$828.00
    4e857 PARAMOUNT Aust daybill 60s stock The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
    PARAMOUNT STOCK ('60s)

Sold For:$16.00
    3a041 NEW WALT DISNEY MICKEY MOUSE long Aust daybill 32 great cartoon image with pie-cut eyes

Sold:5/6/2010
    Sold For:$700.00
    2z183 TROMBONE TROUBLE linen Aust daybill 44 Walt Disney great full-length image of Donald Duck
    TROMBONE TROUBLE

Extra Info:linenstock
    Sold:5/4/2010
    Sold For:$310.00

• Almost the same design of the above stock poster was used to produce a first release poster in 197I  for the  Night Of The Big Heat ( 1967 ) first release in Australia  by Regent Trading Enterprises. The exact original stock poster I haven't seen used to promote any films.
  • Hmmm...

Do you think the stock poster was created from that design?
  • Found another to go with these two:

4d563 EXORCIST Australian daybill R80s William Friedkin Max Von Sydow wild bizarre clip art k557 DRACULA SUCKS Australian daybill movie poster 79 adult sexy horror  6k590 DEATH SHIP Aust daybill R1980s those who survive are better off dead different stock design
  • Pancho said:
    Found another to go with these two:

4d563 EXORCIST Australian daybill R80s William Friedkin Max Von Sydow wild bizarre clip art k557 DRACULA SUCKS Australian daybill movie poster 79 adult sexy horror  6k590 DEATH SHIP Aust daybill R1980s those who survive are better off dead different stock design
    Liking this lot :)
  • HONDO said:

Almost the same design of the above stock poster was used to produce a first release poster in 197I  for the  Night Of The Big Heat ( 1967 ) first release in Australia  by Regent Trading Enterprises. The exact original stock poster I haven't seen used to promote any films.

Pancho said:
    Hmmm...

Do you think the stock poster was created from that design?

No - as the ''...'' and ''!'' are different on the two posters, why didn't they just overprint Night Of The Big Heat on it, and not go to the trouble of printing a new poster.
  • edited July 2018
    I'm assuming my 1971 The Big Boss is a Bruce Lee stock daybill? as (the other) Bruce sold a 1972 The Chinese Connection daybill in 2004 that's mighty similar  ;)

• I'm assuming my 1971 The Big Boss is a Bruce Lee stock daybill? as (the other) Bruce sold a 1972 The Chinese Connection daybill in 2004 that's mighty similar  ;)

I firmly believe that the two posters that are being queried weren't originally stockposters. ''The Chinese Connection'' daybill was printed in Australia for BEF, and along with the distributor's name and the Australian M censorship rating it was intended for the first release here, which occurred early to mid 1970's.  
    Yes "The Big Boss'' poster is the same design but it would have been printed separately  in Australia for a different distributor in N.Z.: ''The Chinese Connection'' would have been on this poster and the Australian BEF credit was intentionally left off and most likely the M certificate as well. "The Big Boss'' title of this film wasn't used in Australia until Filmways Distributors re-released it in the early 1980's. Why did the overprinting of the title take place? Was the film ever released in N.Z. as ''The Chinese Connection''? It most likely appears it was released there in the 1970's under the title of ''The Big Boss''.

• HONDO said:
    I'm assuming my 1971 The Big Boss is a Bruce Lee stock daybill? as (the other) Bruce sold a 1972 The Chinese Connection daybill in 2004 that's mighty similar  ;)

I firmly believe that the two posters that are being queried weren't originally stockposters. ''The Chinese Connection'' daybill was printed in Australia for BEF, and along with the distributor's name and the Australian M censorship rating it was intended for the first release here, which occurred early to mid 1970's.  
    Yes "The Big Boss'' poster is the same design but it would have been printed separately  in Australia for a different distributor in N.Z.: ''The Chinese Connection'' would have been on this poster and the Australian BEF credit was intentionally left off and most likely the M certificate as well. "The Big Boss'' title of this film wasn't used in Australia until Filmways Distributors re-released it in the early 1980's. Why did the overprinting of the title take place? Was the film ever released in N.Z. as ''The Chinese Connection''? It most likely appears it was released there in the 1970's under the title of ''The Big Boss''.

Thanks Lawrence, a bit of an oddity, more so with the mass of different titles used for Bruce Lee's movies. Such as Fist of Fury & Fists of Fury etc. 

• The first time I believe that I have come across a title added to the blank stock poster ''Thundering Western Excitement!'' in the above ''Blazing Saddles'' example.
  • Pancho said:
    Hi!

I love collecting RR and stock daybills; I find them a fascinating part of Aussie movie history. I've been thinking lately about the lack of variety of films in the stock daybills, though.

For example, these are the only 2 designs I've seen for this pretty damn great stock poster:

4d563 EXORCIST Australian daybill R80s William Friedkin Max Von Sydow wild bizarre clip art  k557 DRACULA SUCKS Australian daybill movie poster 79 adult sexy horror

So why create a stock poster if they were utilized so infrequently?

'The Exorcist' was initially granted an R rating in 1974 and it would appear that 'Dracula Sucks' was passed initially with an R rating in 1980 and then subsequently re-rated in 1983. 

Without knowing when 'The Exorcist' stock poster may have been printed (and I do have several other, different RR daybills for it), that's still a big chunk of time for this style of stock poster to have been available for use. It is a full size 13 x 30 daybill and it has the newer MAPS logo, placing it as being printed between 1975 and 1979. For reference, the original 'Exorcist' daybill (from 1974) has the older MAPS logo.

'The Exorcist II' was released in Australia in 1977, so it's reasonable to suggest that some cinemas might have played the original film as part of a double bill at the time. If so, it's possible that a RR daybill was printed at that time. My view is that, if there was such a RR daybill created, it probably would have been one of the others that I have and not have been the one pictured - due mainly to the lack of other films using that style of stock poster.

I think that this RR stock poster was created later in the 1970s.

Ultimately, the lack of use for this style of stock poster is likely to remain a mystery, but I'd love to hear your thoughts and especially find out of other examples of this stock poster exist!
    'The Exorcist' was re-released at least two times:

• Pancho are these images inspired  from an earlier film or films, or just created from the Australian film poster artists mind ? What do you think ? 
  • Given the reasonably random choice of images, combined with what we know of other stock posters of the period, I'd think that they are images from earlier posters. Each of the 3 films on that stock poster were released theatrically in Australia through Roadshow, so potentially they are older Roadshow poster images?

The lizard / dragon on the right looks the most familiar to me. I feel like I've seen that elsewhere.
  • Pancho said

k557 DRACULA SUCKS Australian daybill movie poster 79 adult sexy horror

and it would appear that 'Dracula Sucks' was passed initially with an R rating in 1980 and then subsequently re-rated in 1983. 

Dracula Sucks was initially rated R by the Australian Censor in 1980 with a running time of 87 minutes. I cannot locate that this film was re-classified in 1983 and given an M certificate. What I have found is that the film in 1983 was again re-submitted to the Australian film censor on 35mm by a new distributor 14th Mandolin. and this time a much shortened 74 minute version was passed  with an R certificate. If it is, as it appears that Roadshow lost the Australian film rights to 14th Mandolin by 1983, then the Dracula Sucks stock daybill would have been printed and used sometime between 1980 and 1982/1983 one would think, after which time  Roadshow appears to have lost the film rights in Australia. 
  • I wonder if / when there was a VHS release?
  • The central face reminds me of the 1988 movie 'They Live', with the great line ""I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum."  =) 

• HONDO said:
    Pancho said

k557 DRACULA SUCKS Australian daybill movie poster 79 adult sexy horror

and it would appear that 'Dracula Sucks' was passed initially with an R rating in 1980 and then subsequently re-rated in 1983. 

Dracula Sucks was initially rated R by the Australian Censor in 1980 with a running time of 87 minutes. I cannot locate that this film was re-classified in 1983 and given an M certificate. What I have found is that the film in 1983 was again re-submitted to the Australian film censor on 35mm by a new distributor 14th Mandolin. and this time a much shortened 74 minute version was passed  with an R certificate. If it is, as it appears that Roadshow lost the Australian film rights to 14th Mandolin by 1983, then the Dracula Sucks stock daybill would have been printed and used sometime between 1980 and 1982/1983 one would think, after which time  Roadshow appears to have lost the film rights in Australia. 

Pancho said:
    I wonder if / when there was a VHS release?

There was indeed a video release in Australia circa 1983 by 14th Mandolin through the King Of Video label with the 74 minute running time. This now poses a query with one wondering if contrary to the Australian Classification Board information published of the 14th  Mandolin application in 1983 being 35mm, it was actually for the video release only. Did Roadshow retain the 35mm 87 minute version  rights for cinema release after 1983? If this happened to be the case this would extent the period the Dracula Sucks stock poster could have been printed. Very confusing to say the least.
  • HONDO said:

The first time I believe that I have come across a title added to the blank stock poster ''Thundering Western Excitement!'' in the above ''Blazing Saddles'' example.

Raton Pass ( 1951 ) image I have recently come across. The question to be posed here is why would a 1951 "B' grade black and white film that had been  shown on Australian television  be screened again in cimemas in the 197O's. My only conclusion is that this poster was printed for 16mm screenings. Any other thoughts?