Skip to content

The Eisenhower Linenbacking Experience...

Comments

• Since I have to live my linenbacking through you, I have an expirement I want you to try.

I have long had issue matching the colors of the cellulose patch mix and had an idea last night. 

Tea Staining...

Are you up for it?  

Basically I want to to make about 5 batches of cellulose patch, set one aside for control and then using an eye dropper probably put one drop in the first up to four drops in the last.  The do a smear sheet showing the differnces in tone. English Black Tea would probably work best.  I make batches in the bottom quarter of condiment cups for the amount I am thinking.

Thoughts?
  • sounds like a plan!

You know I once "cooked" or browned mine in a Teflon sauce pan to "brown" the cellulose powder an off-white. and it did take the chem from stark white to a closer match of the paper infilled.

Are we thinking there could be any acidic issues with the Black Tea?

Will look for this English Black Tea tomorrow to give it a try. will be in touch when ready to give it a go.

• Is the black tea a way to match the color of old paper? 
  • Sven said:
    Is the black tea a way to match the color of old paper? 
    That is the theory.  I remember reading about it years back.
  • Cool look forward to seeing the results!
  • So what are you working on these days? What’s next?
  • In the restoration dept-this tape stain is finally getting airbrushed today which will bring it near completion, and about time!

Nasty tape stain....

• edited December 2018
    And the soon to be (within 36 hours) backed is this 1/2 sheet. It’s under Mylar so photo isn’t the best. 

• The romantic-y ones are always good. Nice half sheet!
  • Thanks Rock! It cleaned up nicely. 

• Wowie, it sure did! (like there was any doubt  :)  )
  • Thanks Rock, nice of you to notice.... ;)

my latest and none to exciting experiment involved practicing for two Daybills that I’m going to work on that have separated along the top fold line.

Sooooo....I bought a $1 Daybill courtesy of EMP and tore the top third off, gave it a Deacid bathe and tried my luck and laying down two separate pieces to see how close i could get to the seam matching up. 

Results were actually better than I expected. I did have to adjust my wheat paste mixture slightly and minor prep to the Masa paper but it turned out nicely. 

Before

After wash prior to wheat paste application-

Both pieces have been laid down-

Everything matched up very well except for the right border, red line. Overall, pleased with the results and now ready to tackle the other Daybill. 

• Sweet join Mark!
  • Awesome work dude!
  • Top notch Mark!
  • Thanks guys!  B)
  • Here’s the latest project of adjoining two pieces as was practiced on the Father Goose. 

House on Telegraph Hill-Daybill.

Tape removal on backside was holding together 2/3 of the upper fold line that had separated. Rather than have the remaining 1/3 come apart during the long wash-which would include a bleaching- I separated the remaining fold and washed it in 2 pieces. 
    BEFORE & tape removal 

AFTER WASH & BACKING

Certainly pleased with the overall results, but needing to “adjust” House in the title to get the O to match up better. Will post more images once resto & paper infill begins. 

• Great job Mark! The paper looks fairly brittle.
  • Tricky project Mark! Well done on some great results in such a scenario. 
  • Thanks Sven! It was about a 90 mins total wash time. 

Matt said:
    Great job Mark! The paper looks fairly brittle.
    Exactly, Matt! I gave it only a mild bleaching, fearing the paper would start to deteriorate if too strong. Lotsa brittle pieces on the border to worry about-turned out about as good as I’d hoped. 
  • Nice... it’s amazing how the poster can dry in one way or another and end up offset. Razor scrape the white and fill out the rest.
  • Just about every copy of HoTH I have seen looks like it was baked with the cookies much too long...
  • Just about every copy of HoTH I have seen looks like it was baked with the cookies much too long...

Yeah, Butternut snaps.
  • Matt said:
    Just about every copy of HoTH I have seen looks like it was baked with the cookies much too long...

Yeah, Butternut snaps.
    Hahahaha....
  • Another great job on your way to mastering the craft! One less poster bites the dust.  :)
  • Thanks Rock! 

Here’s a couple I backed the other day, both cleaned up nicely!

• Working on developing pencil skills of my own.... :o

Cerrainly not perfect, nor complete yet, nor where I want to be, but it’s a start at getting better. 
  • Yeah, that's come up a treat!
  • Super effort! It looks really good!
  • Nice!  Can I send you mine???