Skip to content

Recent hangings...

Comments

• Good morning, and happy Monday to y'all! Just a couple typical weekend reframe jobs to post. As mentioned, here's the 30x40 frame as purchased. Just a generic scenery print, glued to foamcore:

30x40 frame

With a matte black respray of the frame, a 1"-1.5" border of matting and some Danish goodness, here's the finished product:
    frihetsligan 1 sheet framed

For some reason I forgot to snap a pic of the frame for this as purchased, but it was a very shiny gold color with some hideous matted floral print inside. I did the art world a favor by taking it out of circulation.  ;)  As with the other, a matte black respray, a bit of matting, and the early years of rock & roll live on (sorry for all the glare):

rock rock rock half sheet framed

I'm not sure what's up next to fit in this thread. Possibly a daybill that's making it's voyage across the pond as we speak.  :)

B)  B)

• Here I am again, poster comrades. Please try and curb your excitement, regardless of the difficulty. This time around it's just a pic of stuff that's actually hanging on a wall. For future pics of stuff that I have framed but not hung, I'll create a separate thread under the "I was framed" banner, to try and differentiate between the two. Anyhoo, After quite a few seasons have come and gone, I finally swapped out the 2 one sheet frames I have up with some 1940's youth-gone-awry fare. I'm not posting this pic so much that it's particularly notable, but to try and provide an extra something for folks to look at, as VMPF seems a tad sloooooow.  :)  

youth runs wild - where are your children framed

Maybe the poster on the right somewhat answers the question posed by the one on the left.

B)  B)
  • “Explodes in Your Face” indeed! Nice looking wall, Rock! Btw-the red wall really helps contrast the black frames and nice paper. 

Yes, a bit slow so I think I think i’ll head on over to my linenbacking thread and poster some pictures as well!?
  • I'm not sure if 1978's Big Wednesday constitutes vintage, and this isn't a hanging... as yet.

I'm looking to get my 30" by 40" thicker paper stock poster framed, and have narrowed it down to a couple of options. However, I'm finding it difficult to make a call, and would welcome what anyone else thought....

I promise pictures of the actual piece once framed... once I make a decision.

Desk
  • Big Wednesday is a classic movie. I used to watch nearly every time I went to Torquay.

I'm leaning towards the black matt.
  • Looks like a 20mm vs 40mm black frame? If me I would go 30mm black frame with a white matt board 
  • edited March 2019
    It's a 12mm frame on both, with a 62mm mount in both instances.

The difference is that in the first picture it's a single, conservation-friendly Ice White mount and that in the second picture it's a double mount - the Ice White at the bottom, and a non-conservation black mount added on top, with a 9mm margin.

I'm really torn over whether to go white or black. I initially thought black, but I just wonder whether it tries to make something out of the poster, rather than allowing it to speak for itself? Also wonder if it doesn't reflect the tone of the film?

It really is a classic film, and one of my all-time favourites. It was sad news recently about Jan Michael Vincent, echoing elements of his character in the film.

Desk
  • edited March 2019
    Leaning towards the white matt and black frame. 

If you increase the frame size to 20mm or 30mm you should get a similar effect to the second option..best of both worlds!

If you stick to a standard of white matt black frame then it's easy to arrange posters side by side on the wall
  • Desk-I’m viewing this on my phone so not sure if I’m indicating the right one, but I’d go with the first one which includes more of the white matting and thinner frame. It allows the poster itself to be more accentuated. I love orange of it, and I’ve always wanted to buy one, just haven’t yet; it’ll look great either way!
  • Big Wednesday is a beautiful poster - congratulations! My tastes differ from my poster brethren. I'd go with the bolder presentation. 

Since these are photos of stuff that's actually on the wall, I feel like this is the appropriate thread for them. I swapped out a few in the mrs' reading area, and with the one wall, went with a rock n' roll theme. On the other, I just swapped out the SDCC Sky Captain with the Danish one that I recently framed. (2 out of 3 of these posters haven't even made it into the recent acquisitions thread yet, so shhhhh - don't tell anyone about them. I started typing this post before I remembered that little tidbit. Einstein I'm not):

reading area april 2019 - 2

reading area april 2019

reading area april 2019 - 3

B)  B)

•  Very nice stuff Rock!!!  The red wall really helps the posters pop! 
  • Thanks, Mark. We try and use interesting paint color choices when and where possible, but I agree with you. In this case it does help the posters stand out, especially since many older posters favor yellows and reds.
  • Big Wednesday is a beautiful poster - congratulations! My tastes differ from my poster brethren. I'd go with the bolder presentation. 

Since these are photos of stuff that's actually on the wall, I feel like this is the appropriate thread for them. I swapped out a few in the mrs' reading area, and with the one wall, went with a rock n' roll theme. On the other, I just swapped out the SDCC Sky Captain with the Danish one that I recently framed. (2 out of 3 of these posters haven't even made it into the recent acquisitions thread yet, so shhhhh - don't tell anyone about them. I started typing this post before I remembered that little tidbit. Einstein I'm not):

reading area april 2019 - 3

B)  B)

That is one fine looking poster!
  • Thanks! I likes me some Danish paper!
  • Rock inspired me to get my butt swapping.
    It begins:

This started out as something completely different, and then I asked the husband what he wanted.  Which led to the wall of Jaws

Needed something to put a smile on face in the main part of the house:

Had to put up one of my favourite purchases from 2018:

• Everything looks fantastic as usual, Ves! Somehow I missed your acquisition of The Wilderness Woman. Like so many of your others, it's beautiful.  :)  This being the internet and all, when reading your post and you using the words "butt swapping", I can't help but think that some poor sap somewhere on the planet will be searching for something that definitely ain't posters, and wonder why Google brought them to VMPF.  :s
  • edited May 2019
    This being the internet and all, when reading your post and you using the words "butt swapping", I can't help but think that some poor sap somewhere on the planet will be searching for something that definitely ain't posters, and wonder why Google brought them to VMPF.  :s
    Happy to help broaden people's horizons... ?
  • Looks great Ves!  Especially that Inspector General ;)
  • Nice Ves! Love the jaws feature wall!

• The Wilderness Woman poster is great Ves and who doesn't like Danny's posters?
  • Great looking walls...... again!
  • Thanks all...a few more done today

Ahem...I know, you are thinking you couldn't have picked a poster that said Ves more!

The quads FINALLY get a swap out:

A bit of modern stuff to counter all the old timey ones

My favourite wall so far!  HUGE thanks to Mark for his awesome work on Silk Stockings...LOVE IT!

• Big Trouble quad!!!
  • Wowie, looks great! Not surprisingly, I'm partial to the wall-o-legs!  :o
  • Wowie, looks great! Not surprisingly, I'm partial to the wall-o-legs!  :o
    Well Ves did say she was inspired by you, this could be a pay back.

Now if you could only distract her while I pinch that "Girl of the Year" off her wall...….
  • Matt said:
    Wowie, looks great! Not surprisingly, I'm partial to the wall-o-legs!  :o
    Well Ves did say she was inspired by you, this could be a pay back.

Now if you could only distract her while I pinch that "Girl of the Year" off her wall...….
    It can be persuaded off the wall for some certain long ones you are holding out on me with!
  • Wow! So much good stuff to see, Ves! 

Jaws wall looks great and approp for us as summer approaches. 

Danny Kaye artwork is fun, and Wilderness Woman is pretty, unique

Big Trouble is great fun, and typical cool artwork for Quad!

”Legs” wall is very nice! They are all standouts! ?

• Just a quick entry here. The Dementia 13 poster is too cool to just sit in the closet framed and ready to go, so sometime last week I moved the Teen Age Thunder stills down a little bit and got the aforementioned poster up on the wall. Now the poster lair is overseen by the creepiest eyes in posterdom.  B)

dementia 13 daybill on wall

Mr. Lightyear approves as well.  ;)
  • Sweetness!
  • Perfect!  Seen that poster so many times, great to finally see it up on someone's wall.