Skip to content

The Eisenhower Linenbacking Experience...

Comments

• edited January 2019
    Thanks dudes!  :)

think ive completed the top vertical and horizontal lines touched up. It’s so many shades of brown it reminds of the Bridge at Remagan Danish I did. 
    *Sorry lighting inconsistent, but the before and after are seen. Tried to shoot at the same angle. 

BEFORE

AFTER

Am hoping that may have been the most challenging line. @Dario, any thoughts? I had to wet the pencils some to get more coverage, which is great if it’s a really good match, not so good if it’s not.... :#
  • I think it looks great so far.

I guess, if anything. Keep your pencils as sharp/pointy as possible ( all the time ) as the folds are pretty fine. less bleed.

Cheers,
    dario.

ooOOH! And keep up the good work!
  • Thanks @Dario

Appreciate the good words and advice-I was just moving to sharpen the black as it was getting really round. Yes-bleed beyond the fold lines stands out more than if just in the fold, will do! 

More to come. The browns are diabolical on this one!  :#
  • All right. More of my color matching. Inside of mouth this time. This one took two colors blended over each other. Schwartz Black & Caput Mortuum Violet. Who’da thought?!!! ;)

• Wow, that's great!
  • edited January 2019
    Clint looks great with a Schwartz Black & Caput Mortuum Violet smile! 
  • Looks fantastic! You probably never thought that crayolas and coloring books in kindergarten were going to lead you to this!
  • Thanks guys! It’s been a real fun learning experience in shades and layering but well worth the time and efforts.

Was home today with my little boy who was sick w a cold so was able to finish Josey Wales. Am overall very happy with results. Will give the neck a little more attention before cutting down from frame. 

Think its 99% done! 

Sorry for bad lighting....

• Just finished this classic Daybill. It was in great shape to begin with the exception of two minor tears/breaks in the upper yellow third. 

• Good work Mark! Both of them would look great framed.
  • Thanks Matt! 

Outlaw Josey Wales received a bit more touch up this afternoon, then was cut down and trimmed. I think it turned out pretty good for my first pencil restoration effort in a year or two! :o  :)

• U bet it did Mark! I love it! :)
  • Great job! You should be very proud!  :)
  • Thanks guys! For my first resto job in a while, i'm quite happy....now what's next.... :)
  • Thanks guys! For my first resto job in a while, i'm quite happy....now what's next.... :)
    MORE DAYBILLS!  B)
  • Daybills you say, Super Sleuth? Dr Daybill?....

Weekend fun included the following.... ;)

• Very, very nice! Even Lawrence of Arabia gave you an A!
  • Thanks Rock!

It’s been a busy start to the year, but have been finding a spare minute to give some attention to a few cool Daybills! 

Way of a Gaucho!
    Before 
    Mounted
    Cut down and trimmed

• This one needed a light deacidification bath and some minor black touch up to a diagonal line above the lips. 
    Rocky Horror Picture Show

• Congrats Mark, those lips really pop!
  • They do...3d effect! Well done Mark!
  • Thanks Matt & Sven!

OK, here’s a little bit of progress from House on Telegraph Hill. 
    Prior to the wash

Dried after backing

Taped off to add infill pieces to border. 

Think I lost count after 17? 18? pieces filled in to make the border look good! A lot of work, but so worth it! It’s now ready for the border to get airbrushed.

• Looking super and i imagine a tough one being fragile!!. Look forward to seeing the airbrush work!
  • Thanks Sven....5 months later.... ;)

here’s a couple to wrap this thread up for another few. or maybe even several months....

just finished touching up this wonderful Daynill which will be sent back in a westerly direction to its owner....”it’s about time!”  ;)

•  I’m not a big fan of glossy 80s  or 90s posters but this was a recent effort. 
    Before and during....

Completed-ready to be cut down and framed for display!

• Brilliant touch up on the Jedi!!
  • Wow, the work looks awesome. Interesting to see the steps in the process as well. Thank you. 
  • Very brilliant!
  • (to be read in James Earl Jones' voice)

The force is definitely strong with you, young padawan. Very talented work.

NOW WHERE ARE THE REBELS HIDING?!?