Skip to content

Yeah, so, I am watching this..,

Comments

• Roma was really good and different.  More cinematic than plot driven.

The second season of Star Trek Discovery came out last night.  It was awesome for a TV show.  Special effects were off the chart.

• A Woman Rebels
    - Watched this last couple of days.  What great actress...Need to revist all the Hepburn classics.
  • edited May 2019
    What at gorgeous daybill also!
    Ive always thought the profile of hepburn on this daybill is hands  down the best
  • Pops so much, I reckon the printers would of run out of ink after making those. 
  • Introducing the little ladies to the classics I love.
    Over the past few weeks, we have started on our Abbott and Costello journey.
    First up was Naughty Nineties featuring the classic Who's on first? sketch.

Way over the little ones head but the older one was all over it.
    Took a wee bit of explaining at the start, but then all good.

Next up was Who Done It?

They loved the physical gags in this one...Costello is clearly becoming their favourite.

Last night saw us move into the more spooky zone:

The little one was a bit scare and the older one a bit creeped out.  Still liked it, but I am thinking the "meets the" monster series will have to wait.

Next up will be Buck Privates...I'll keep you posted!
  • I’ve seen clips/scenes of A&B, but never a full movie-might have to check one out soon. That said, Hold That Ghost is magnificent!!! ....as are the others you have. ?
  • King Kong (1933)
    So we had a watch tonight with my girls.
    They were a bit scared of Kong at the start, but settled into it alright.
    Don't think the little one was a fan, but the big one wouldn't shut up the whole movie!
    So many questions out of such a small person!
    But we have success!  She thoroughly enjoyed.
    I floated the idea of graduating to Frankenstein, but was shot down.  Too soon it seems.

Might hit them with some Marx Brothers or Martin and Lewis next!
  • edited May 2019
    Congrats Ves!

When my 8yr son was sick for the day he watched a few A&Cs...meet frank, invisible man, mummy and about 10 minutes of karloff..he was a fan!

Hoping we will see a Daybill for meet Frankenstein!!! Anyone heard or seen one???
  • HONDO said:

Saw this film at a screening on Monday night and then after the screening participated along with other members of the audience via Skype in a Q & A with the director Matthew Holmes. The film dealt with the latter part of Ben Hall's life, leading up to and including his killing. Made on a low budget, although it doesn't show, by a dedicated director and team the film is very well made and very entertaining and informative. Long in the planning stages leading up to the filming, the director is releasing the film in limited release, wherever he can secure playdates as the major chains weren't interested on a whole in screening it. For those who don't know, Ben Hall was a famous Australian bushranger. An interesting fact was that Ben Hall wasn't personally responsible for any deaths, although other members of his gang were. The three lead actors pictured above were cast as they looked very like the real life characters they portrayed in the film. Recommended.

This is on the telly tonight.  Locked it in for recording but will hopefully be able to give it a watch sooner rather than later.  Looking forward to it.
    Finally watching this.
    That it had a tiny budget, you cannot tell.  Phenomenal effort to pull that off!
    Jack Martin as Ben Hall is fantastic.  As is William Lee as John Dunn.
    Great locations, even the story is well told, as I type i am about half way through.

The only disappointment is Jamie Coffa as John Gilbert.  Just a little too over the top for me.  While I concede he is supposed to be loosest of the three outlaws, it needed to be toned down just a notch...Lawrence I would be interested in your take on his performance.

A small blip in what is otherwise a fantastic film.  Kudos to the director and everyone involved in what was clearly a labour of love!

Now someone find me a feckin poster!
  • Matt said:
    Just bought The Shape of Water 4K UHD. By all reports, I won't be disappointed.
    Saw this when I was looking for the Ben Hall review.
    Soooo....did you like it?
  • Yeah, it was really good. The cinematography was great.
  • HONDO said:

Saw this film at a screening on Monday night and then after the screening participated along with other members of the audience via Skype in a Q & A with the director Matthew Holmes. The film dealt with the latter part of Ben Hall's life, leading up to and including his killing. Made on a low budget, although it doesn't show, by a dedicated director and team the film is very well made and very entertaining and informative. Long in the planning stages leading up to the filming, the director is releasing the film in limited release, wherever he can secure playdates as the major chains weren't interested on a whole in screening it. For those who don't know, Ben Hall was a famous Australian bushranger. An interesting fact was that Ben Hall wasn't personally responsible for any deaths, although other members of his gang were. The three lead actors pictured above were cast as they looked very like the real life characters they portrayed in the film. Recommended.

This is on the telly tonight.  Locked it in for recording but will hopefully be able to give it a watch sooner rather than later.  Looking forward to it.
    Finally watching this.
    That it had a tiny budget, you cannot tell.  Phenomenal effort to pull that off!
    Jack Martin as Ben Hall is fantastic.  As is William Lee as John Dunn.
    Great locations, even the story is well told, as I type i am about half way through.

The only disappointment is Jamie Coffa as John Gilbert.  Just a little too over the top for me.  While I concede he is supposed to be loosest of the three outlaws, it needed to be toned down just a notch...Lawrence I would be interested in your take on his performance.

A small blip in what is otherwise a fantastic film.  Kudos to the director and everyone involved in what was clearly a labour of love!

Now someone find me a feckin poster!

As I saw the film in December 2016 I cannot comment now  two and a half years later later on the performance of Jamie Coffa. I don't remember now about anything out of place regarding his performance. Perhaps I may have at the time.

One thing that I didn't mention previously is that the makers of the were distributing the film independently at select cinemas, at whichever venues that they were able to seccure bookings at, which overall were scant,

I don't remember sighting  any posters at the session at the Riverside Theatre in Parramatta when I attended the screening there.
  • edited May 2019
    Fair call, was quite a while ago!  If it doesn't stick in your mind I suspect it most likely didn't bother you :)
    Maybe I am just being picky...

The only other bit I didn't like is the sentimental farewell with his wife (who now miraculously loves him again while up to now she hated his guts...)

I am surprised the film makers had such a hard time selling it.  I suspect if it had some big names in there it would have had a solid run...hard to market something with a bunch of unknowns I guess.  Shame, as I think that added to what made it such a good film!

Ah us aussies.  We love to romanticise our criminals!  I'd actually never heard of Ben Hall before.  Has me intrigued to learn more!

Yes, alas I suspect no posters were produced.  Maybe I should track down the director and ask!

All I've found to date is this flyer:

• Not that anyone but me cares... :)  There is movement in the Ben Hall poster search.  I shall keep you posted...watch this space!

• Kick Ass 2

Not as much fun as the first one.  Probably a sequel the world could have done without.
    I still find the main bad dude annoying.
    And who are these movies directed at?  Kids???  Teenagers????  Adults?
    Let me go check the aussie classification!
  •                                             theartofmovieposters said:
    Fair call, was quite a while ago!  If it doesn't stick in your mind I suspect it most likely didn't bother you :)
    Maybe I am just being picky...

The only other bit I didn't like is the sentimental farewell with his wife (who now miraculously loves him again while up to now she hated his guts...)

I am surprised the film makers had such a hard time selling it.  I suspect if it had some big names in there it would have had a solid run...hard to market something with a bunch of unknowns I guess.  Shame, as I think that added to what made it such a good film!

Ah us aussies.  We love to romanticise our criminals!  I'd actually never heard of Ben Hall before.  Has me intrigued to learn more!

Yes, alas I suspect no posters were produced.  Maybe I should track down the director and ask!

All I've found to date is this flyer:

From Wikipedia this film image credited as being a theatrical film poster, and you can purchase the above 2014 printed book on Ben Hall currently on sale on line for #13.50. 
  • Saw this decades ago as a kid but dont remember 90% of the movie. Really enjoying part one with the wife after the kids went to bed last night. Conclusion tonight. 

•  :D 

I'll explain later when I have time.  Hubby, me and this film have a checkered past.

• re 3 day of the Condor.
    Early on when hubby and I were still dating we watched this as it's one of his favourite movies.
    I actually fell asleep!
    Re-watched it a few years ago and made it to the end.

To this day he wont let me live down that  I fell asleep.
    So every time I see this movie mentioned or the posters, makes me chuckle.

Good to hear you and the Mrs are enjoying it and each other ;)
  • edited May 2019
    re 3 day of the Condor.
    Early on when hubby and I were still dating we watched this as it's one of his favourite movies.
    I actually fell asleep!
    Re-watched it a few years ago and made it to the end.

To this day he wont let me live down that  I fell asleep.
    So every time I see this movie mentioned or the posters, makes me chuckle.

Good to hear you and the Mrs are enjoying it and each other ;)

hahaha....yeah, it's not an action-packed thriller, but does have some good action in the right parts. We really enjoyed part 2 last night and love the "unfinished" ending. Highly recommend it as a precourser to the Bourne style of movies today.

Yeah, every now and then I struggle to keep the eyelids open during some of the Mrs.'s movies! :smile:

Thanks, appreciate it! :wink:

• Trying to get through a bunch of stuff I've recorded over the years.
    First up Nightcrawler:

A con man stumbles across a new profession, siren chasing around the city to be the first at the scene and get precious video of what is happening. 

Something tells me it's not a huge stretch for Gyllenhaal to play the a-hole, which he does very well here.
    Still undecided if his character isjust a few sandwiches short of a picnic or he is just nuts.
    Enjoyed it way more than I thought I would.  If you don't like him, don't bother with the film...

Next up What We Do In The Shadows:

Some interviews with some vampires says it all...
    MAN!  Laughed my backside off!
    Thoroughly recommend this mockumentary.

• Hunt for the Wilderpeople

What a fantastic film!  Brilliant!
    A young man shunted from one foster home to another finally finds what he thinks will be his true home, but his "auntie" passes on and he is left in the care of his "uncle" who doesn't really want him and the authorities won't leave him there anyway.  So begins a wonderful journey as they try to evade the authorities.

Sam Neil is fantabulous as always.  The grumpy old man role suits him well!

Julian Dennison makes the film as wonderful as it is.  Perfect in the role.

I seem to be fast becoming a fan of Taika Waititi's films!

BTW, I need the poster above!  Should anyone happen to have or stumble across it :D
  • Barefoot in the Park (1967) with Jane Fonda and Robert Redford.  Slightly reminiscent of BAT, enjoyable none the less.

• Taking a break from the Abbott and Costello and introduced the girls to Jerry Lewis with the Ladies Man.
    They loved it!  Thought he was hilarious.  Next we'll give Disorderly Orderly a go.

Also watched Berlin Syndrome:

Aussie Backpacker gets kidnapped in Germany.  Nice that we are not killing them here in Australia for a change...sorry poor humour.
    I can't say I enjoyed it, but I found the two leads wonderful!

Finally, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood:

Looks amazing.
    Not a fan of Pitt, but LOVED him in this.
    She did nothing...

Husband loved it, I am still uncertain.
    Certainly great bits in it.  The scene where he goes out to the ranch was brilliant.
    I think it needs a rewatch before I can comment fully.
  • Not that anyone but me cares... :)  There is movement in the Ben Hall poster search.  I shall keep you posted...watch this space!
    WOO HOO!  Located and Acquired!  YES!!!!!!!!
  • Right on Ves!!!
  • I think Once upon a time might need another watch here as well. I enjoyed it, but not one of his classics. It was strange to blend fact and fiction

• These Final Hours
    The world is ending...What do you do?  Run away and leave your pregnant girlfriend behind cause your scared witless.  Along your journey you rescue a little girl who teaches you why family is where you always belong.

It was ok, nothing great here.   6 out of 10.

Lore 
    The war is over and Lore's family who are Nazi members are now fleeing capture. 
    When her parents are captured her mother tells her to take he family to her grandmother's house for safety.
    As they travel on their way they are taken under the wings of a Jew who pretends they are his family to keep them safe.
    During their travels Lore's understanding of what is right comes into question many times.

Leads were superb!  I always find this subject matter hard to watch, but interesting to view it from thus perspective.
    Highly recommend. 

Tracks 
    Based on the true story of one woman's journey across desert Australia. 
    Looks wonderful.   Exactly what you would expect.  Best bit  was her bonding with the Old fella charged with guiding her through sacred country.
  • edited September 2019

Much like Super Size Me, this takes a look at the effect of sugar in our diets.
    Very interesting.

• Wyrmwood

I tried, it was never going to go down well with me.  Confirmed to be true.
    I just don't get it.