Skip to content

Where Are These Daybills?

Comments

• Squadron Leader X ( 1943 ). What appears to be country of origin advertising for this U.K. film.

Australian newspaper advertisement from 1943.

There hopefully is an existing colourful Simmons full bleed RKO daybill out there somewhere that will surface one day.

My thoughts from looking at the Australian ad is that the Australian daybill would have been similar to the U.K. artwork, and not the completely different U.S.A. artwork that appeared on their film posters.

• edited November 2019

Beyond rhe Forest ( 1949 ). Original U.S.A. insert and title lobby card.

Two Australian newspaper advertisements that were placed during the original Australian release.

Does anyone have the Australian daybill poster of Beyond The Forest, or knows if one exists?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Man In The Dark ( 1953 ). Original U.S.A. 3D insert version insert poster and a 1953 Australian newspaper advertisement advertising screenings in 3 dimension in Perth WA.

Man In The Dark original 2D insert version. ( Chris image )

One wonders what the original Australian daybill would look like. Most likely to resemble the 2D insert one would think.

• There is definitely a Man in the Dark daybill out there.  Unfortunately, I don’t think I saved a copy of the pic 

• One would have to think that there is a lot of Clint Eastwood fans here on the forum. For collectors of Australian daybills there certainly appears that there will always be one film that Clint made in that you will never find a daybill for, or in fact any other Australian printed paper. Any idea which film this may be?
  • I know there is no db for one of the dirty Harry films, forget which off the top of my head.
  • HONDO said:

One would have to think that there is a lot of Clint Eastwood fans here on the forum. For collectors of Australian daybills there certainly appears that there will always be one film that Clint made in that you will never find a daybill for, or in fact any other Australian printed paper. Any idea which film this may be?
    Pink Cadillac, I searched for one many years ago.

• It now appears that I have opened up a can of worms here.

The film I was refering to was a much earlier film of Clints, that certainly appears didn't have a daybill or any Australian posters printed for.

I hadn't thought about his late 1980s and onwards films daybills, as I had assumed they either existed or were never printed, as they were being phased out in the 1990s.

There appears, as Ves and Matt said,  that The Dead Pool ( 1988 ), the Dirty Harry title Ves was thinking of and Pink Cadillac ( 1989 ) that no Australian daybills were printed for these titles.

One can also add The Rookie ( 1990 ), Absolute Power ( 1997 ) and all film titles after that year that Clint made.

What I find interestingly here is that daybills were printed for all other Clint Eastwood films released in the 1990s up to 1995. The titles were -

White Hunter Black Heart ( 1990 )
    Unforgiven ( 1992 )
    In The Line Of Fire ( 1993 )
    A Perfect World ( 1993 )
    The Bridges Of Madison County ( 1995 )

Looking into the late 1980s and 1990 with daybill examples that exist it would appear to me that Roadshow/Warner Bros. prnted daybills for their major titles, so one has to wonder then why three Clint Eastwood films missed out on having any daybills produced for? 

The Dead Pool video door panel from Ves's collection, Roadshow it appears didn't produce a theatrical release daybill but they certainly didn't mind coming up with this more expensive to produce item.  

Back to my original question - a clue then is a much younger Clint was involved in the missing title.
  • Definately have a daybill for Absolute Power...
  • Based on his IMDB profile and what I know have/seen, I am throwing out Hell Bent for Glory...
  • Here is the db for Absolute Power:

• Here is the db for Absolute Power:

Thanks Ves. How did I not see this one?

• edited December 2019
                                                                                                                                                                                                                         A 1997 Absolute Power  daybill  with  Clint Easrwood was printed, yet it appears the much earlier The Dead Pool ( 1988 ),  Pink Cadiallic ( 1989 ) & The Rookie ( 1990 ) films didn't warrant having a daybill printed for some reason or another.                                                                                                                                                              

• The 90s are definately a weird period for daybills!
  • edited December 2019
    The Witches is another European film which probably didnt reach Australian
     shores.(1967) Le streghe

Another is Breezy 1973 which didn't have 
    that much international appeal.

• Daybill for breezy is out there.  Fugly, but there.
  • edited December 2019
    HONDO said:

One would have to think that there is a lot of Clint Eastwood fans here on the forum. For collectors of Australian daybills there certainly appears that there will always be one film that Clint made in that you will never find a daybill for, or in fact any other Australian printed paper. Any idea which film this may be?
    Matt said:
    The Witches is another European film which probably didnt reach Australian
     shores.(1967) Le streghe

Another is Breezy 1973 which didn't have 
    that much international appeal.

Daybill for breezy is out there.  Fugly, but there.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        The Breezy ( 1973 ) daybill.

Matt's suggestion of the missing daybill being The Witches is correct. 

The Witches certainly appears, for whatever reason, to have never received an Australian theatrical release, This film however was shown on Australian television in 1976 on TCN9.

The Witches was released in the U.S.A. in 1969, but no record of the film was found of it being released in Australia or being banned. It doesn't appear to me as a film that would be banned. By 1969 Clint had become a big star, so one has to wonder what the reason was for the film not receiving a theatrical release in Australia.

The absense of the film not being screened here would explain why no daybill or any other Australian film posters exist.
  • edited November 2020
    MovieTV MemorabiliaDocuments An Orson Welles Australian Scrapbook from Citizen Kane1940-1941
    Anyone ever spotted any Aussie paper for Citizen Kane (other than the RR)?
    Still waiting, but not holding out too much hope though that anything will turn up.

Australian paper for Citizen Kane? Love to see it. Eric Dare was the Australian distributor who re-released the film in Australia in the early 1970s, and generally his posters artwork were well above average in design.

Because of the film's high status anyone lucky enough to have the re-release daybill or one sheet, and especially the original release paper are most likely to hang on to them, one would think.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Original U.S.A. insert poster of Loophole ( 1954 ). Image originates from the great film noir collection belonging to Chris.

Original New Zealand Loophole daybill. Image from Wil.

This now leaves the Australian daybill of Loophole that seems to be missing in action. I am convinced that the original Australian daybill would have been designed and printed by W.E.Smith. Does anyone have a copy or at least knows that one exists?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

( HA )

The Goldwyn Follies ( 1938 ). An original release daybill hasn't surfaced yet to the best of my knowledge, but I spotted this rare Australian 1956 re-release daybill image from Ray Films some time ago, so I thought I would share it here. Ray Films re-released  many other early films as well from the Samuel Goldwyn back catalogue in Australia between 1954 to 1956. Above also is a Dead End ( 1937 ) 1950's re-release daybill image also re-released by Ray Films in Australia. No sign of the original daybill to date. 

Apart from The Goldwyn Follies and Dead End the other known Ray Films re-release daybill images from Samuael Goldwybn that are known to exist for are - Wuthering Heights, The Pride Of The Yankees, The Real Glory, The Westerner and Port Of Wickedness ( origiinal title Barbary Coast ). There is also an existing Ray Films Australian one sheet of Port Of Wickedness.

There are also two other known Goldwyn films that Ray Films re-released in Australia in the 1950s that daybill images, to the best of my knowledge, haven't been sighted as yet. 

The titles of the two films are -

Raffles ( 1939 version ) David Niven.
    The Adventutes Of Marco Polo ( 1938 ) Gary Cooper.

Anyone that may have images of either one or both films please post them here.

One other title that was announced in 1954 that Ray Films were going to re-release in Australia was Roarng Timber ( original 1936 title Come and Get It ). No record located that this film was ever re-released in Australia though. 

• Anyone ever spotted any Aussie paper for Citizen Kane (other than the RR)?

I have never sighted any re-release Australian paper on Citizen Kane. Love to see or know about what you know about this Chris?
                                                                                                                                                     xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

( Wil )

The Marauders ( 1955 ) Australian daybill. I had mentioned this title in Ausust 2015 as being unseen. This copy has now turned up in New Zealand, a place where rare daybill titles turn up regularly.

( Sven )

X - 15 ( 1961 ) daybill. This image is reinstated here due to the image that Sven posted in December 2016 disappearing. 
  • HONDO said:

I have never sighted any re-release Australian paper on Citizen Kane. Love to see or know about what you know about this Chris?
                                                                                                                                                     xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unfortunately for the life of me I cannot recall what I was referring to.  If anything it was a much later 70s/80s RR that I spotted.  But I could have been getting confused with the well-known The Third Man RR as well.  If I spot what I had (possibly) found I will be sure to post it

• HONDO said:

Unfortunately for the life of me I cannot recall what I was referring to.  If anything it was a much later 70s/80s RR that I spotted.  But I could have been getting confused with the well-known The Third Man RR as well.  If I spot what I had (possibly) found I will be sure to post it
    No problems. Eric Dare sumitted Citizen Kane to the Australian film censor and was passed for public exhibition on 35mm on  1 Jamuary 1973

The above was a WOW of a double bill programme of King Kong and Citizen Kane that was advertised  in the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper on 18 August 1973.

I am certain that the 1973 release was the one and only oficial theatrical 35mm re-release that Citizen Kane had in Australia in the last decade.

What I do find interesting though is that the two following King Kong re-release daybills, also from Eric Dare, and in particulat the blue version have been available in the marketplace for a long period of time, yet no sign whatsosver of any Australian paper on Citizen Kane. Citizen Kane had been classified and passed for exhibition on I January 1973. King Kong was passed by the Australian film censor the previous year on 1 January 1972.

• Not mine (but sure wish it was!)

•   ( Both X Marks The Shop )

Family Doctor( aka RX Murder ) ( 1958 ) and Street Of Sinners ( 1957 ) Australian daybills.

( X Marks The Shop )

Sons Of The Musketeers ( aka At Sword's Poibt ) ( 1952 ) Australian daybill.

Three rare  daybill images I recently became aware of that you may not have seen previously.

Not mine (but sure wish it was!)

I had thought that the Sudden Fear ( 1952 ) full bleed Simmons produced daybill would be great, and it certainlly turns out to be the case. Thanks foe posting the image here Chris.
  • I think i have a one-sheet for Family Doctor
  • Over a long period of time, many decades in fact, I have  been researching and saving daybill images.  I have just been revisiting an ongoing, but incomplete list of titles that fall into this category. I am constantly working on a list of titles where no images have been sighted by me in the past, or at the present time. This then confirms the fact that there are many hundreds of films including some well known titles that for whatever reason daybill images haven't surfaced as yet, to the best of  my knowledge, on Google or from many other sources that I have had access to over many years.
    I realise films released up to 1949 will certainly be harder to locate images of. The period I am concentrating on at present is the 1950s. Some distributors daybills are more harder to locate than others. 20th Century Fox and United Artists seem to stand out as having the most absent daybill images.  I am thinking of including here on this thread an ongoing list of titles that I haven't been able to locate images of. By doing this is anyone actually has images of any of the listed titles they can then include the images here.

Apart from not being sighted as yet due to their rarity the reason for there not being a daybill in some cases is just a case that some films weren't picked up for distribution here in Australia due to their inferior content ( mainly poverty row titles), and also that many films were banned and never screened here.

Time is limited with me these days so I will proceed only if I receive enough interest in this project. Letting me know if you are interested will certainly determine whether or not I will proceed with it. If the plan goes ahead I would firstly concentrate on the most sort after classic film titles such as posters featuring the likes of well known stars. High in priority would be film noir, war, horror,science fiction and well known musical film titles. Please let me know if this information would be of interest to you? The amount of any feedback received will definitely determine if this project will happen or not.
  • I am most definately interested!
  • Yes, interested.

Peter
  • I am interested too

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• bring it on!
  • I am definitely interested
  • Yessir.