Skip to content

March 2020

Thanks for the kind words for my post in last month's recent acquisitions thread, guys. There's quite a few here, and probably only 1 that's actually from March. I'm just catching up with regards to poster purchases that are relatively recent. In no particular order (except for leaving a non-movie poster for last):

The Racers R61 - very similar to the '55 1 sheet, just a lot less blue background.

racers 1 sheet different style

Holy crap. As always, sorry for the attack of the 50 foot poster image. Sheesh. I still don't know of a reliable way to resize images to post here. Wordpress will allow for resizing photos, but seemingly only when publishing within their website. 

I've always thought about collecting posters for Serials, but I REALLY don't need another genre to collect. I ran across this one that has a neato vintage car image, and it has a cool title too. It ain't much on color, but it fits the bill just fine.

secret agent x9 1 sheet

Next up, more automobile art (gee, big surprise, eh?). This one's an ex-Yugoslavian poster for the Italian film,  Giovani Mariti (Young Husbands). It's literally rough around the edges, but just like the phrase we've made fun of for years, "it's difficult to find in any condition".

giovani mariti yugoslavian poster

Next up, a bit of Aussie love for some 50's rock & roll (sorry for the exceptionally poor seller's pic).

jamboree daybill

Aaaaaaaand a bit more vehicular art, this time with a Belgain poster for In Fast Company:

fast company belgian

Next up, a lobby card set for Dragstrip Riot. Movie posters for this title still exceed my poster budget, but I'm happy to have the cards for now. As evidenced by the photo below, a few of the cards had a seedy second life, which I think is pretty amusing. Interestingly enough, for a film that has the word "Dragstrip" in the title, only one of the cards even has a partial picture of a car.

dragstrip riot lobby card set 2
dragstrip riot lobby card set 3
dragstrip riot lobby card set 4

Another poor photo, this time from the postwar era of sportscar racing:

devils hairpin 1 sheet

Next up, just a groovy title card from what was probably a forgettable 40's comedy:

hat check honey title card

Coincidentally, from the same year as Hat Check Honey (1944), the US 1 sheet for Are These Our Parents:

are these our parents 1 sheet

We're getting close to the end, now. If you're not bored to tears already, there's not much more to go. Next, another Terry Toons 1 sheet, this time from 1941, if I remember right. (yay! a normal size photo!):

terry toons horsefly opera 1 sheet

A more modern one for me, but c'mon, it's Bettie!

bettie page reveals all 1 sheet 2

And lastly, as promised (or threatened), a non movie poster, but rather just a wilding/promo poster for a Reverend Horton Heat album, with cool artwork by a chap named Max Grundy:

max grundy horton heat poster

Whew! That's it for now. I think I'm all caught up.  B)B)

Comments

• A great selection there Rock. Always wanted Bettie Page!
  • Thanks, Matt. Bettie was definitely something, no doubt.
  • Great paper Rock!

….Fast Company, Hat Check Honey & Jamboree are very cool as is the Betty Paige, but Secret Agent X-9 is outta this world! Great looking poster with the car and minimal colors!

• More awesomeness - especially that X-9!
  • Thanks, guys.  :)
  • Glad to see you got The Hour Before Dawn! Must be somewhat bittersweet. 
  • Beautiful!  Some gorgeous stuff there as always!
  • Great haul Chris
  • Detroit! Yay! And an insert?? You feelin' okay, my northern homie? Ward Cleaver as a murder investigator? The world has gone all topsy turvy! 

Kidding, of course (except about Detroit). Very nice haul, there. You chaps north of the border are a firearms happy bunch, as evidenced by that group of posters there. Good thing folks down here in the states aren't like that.  :)
  • Some pickups on VMPAG...

• The "leading ladies" bug is still strong I see

• hahaha... 

Here are the ones I didn't show from the same seller:

• Picked up this interesting Canadian Charade...

• How about bus shelters...

• Picked up the regular Jojo too:

• Always liked that American Hustle!

Need me that jojo rabbit Adv.
  • Always liked that American Hustle!

Need me that jojo rabbit Adv.
    Bus Shelter!!!! It’s glorious...
  • Bus shelters are what one sheets are afraid to be.
    Their design tends to be way more risky than the duller one sheets. 
  • Chris- where to start?! Oasis, Two of a Kind, and No Way Out are exceptional! But The Big Clock is stupendous! It’s great competition with the US 1Sht! All nice!

Charlie-really liking Once Upon and Jojo Rabbit (fingers) is really cool!
  • Great stuff, Charlie. Natalie looks great as Jackie! Here's a trifecta for me to help wrap up the month:

Sorry for the odd angle on this one. It was the only way I could eliminate most of the glare. I don't think this is a film I want to see, but the poster is groovy:

hells highway 1 sheet

Next up, one that I can finally check off my list, and I'm happy to have it in insert form:

teenage bad girl insert

And the last one for today, a half sheet that I'm rather chuffed to have finally acquired, and a very nice copy at that:

teenage crime wave half sheet

B)  B)

• teenage bad girl insert

What a difference a country can make. An Australian daybill printed for the same film and classified  ''For general exhibition''. The daybill certainly presents like it is a completely different genre film than in the way the  U.S. insert has depicted the film.
  • What a crap daybill!  Certainly would be disappointed going in to see that movie, and get something completely different I am sure.   Great Insert, congrats Rock.
  • Yeah, I have this UK 1 sheet for it also. It appears that it was only known as Teenage Bad Girl in the US, and versions of the word "teenager" in other parts of Europe. For a country that seemingly produced 1 sheets for everything, it appears that the only US 1 sheet for Teenage Bad Girl was a double feature 1 sheet with Teenage Wolfpack.

• Oh I think I like that one even more!
  • Great additions, Rock! The Hell's Highway is wonderful with the fifties auto's and the UK 1 sht with it's color and artwork are first rate! The collection is growing!