Skip to content

Screening Venues ( inside and out ) Featured In Motion Pictures film Quiz

Comments

• As you say, fairly easy.

I'm more intrigued by the posters in the background for Rock Island Trail (1950) 
    and Manhatten Melodrama (1934)

Seems unlikely that these two films would be playing at the same time.  Further, the title character of the film you asked for would have died 16 years before Rock Island Trail was released
  • edited January 2020
    jayn_j said:
    As you say, fairly easy.

I'm more intrigued by the posters in the background for Rock Island Trail (1950) 
    and Manhatten Melodrama (1934)

Seems unlikely that these two films would be playing at the same time.  Further, the title character of the film you asked for would have died 16 years before Rock Island Trail was released
    Yes you are spot on with your observations. The image isn't what you think it may be though. The other yet unnamed film is spot on though as it was the one screened at the theatre attended in the film.

Just to make things more interesting here is an image from the film with a 1937 Kermit Maynard film Galloping Dynamite poster hanging on the wall.

•  

# 44 - Manhattan Melodrama ( 1934 ) U.S.A. insert poster. Let's add to the fun by asking what film was this particular insert design used in. We now have 43 and 44 featuring film posters of Manhattan Melodrama.
  • HONDO said:

43

This one from the image displayed shouldn't present any problem in being able to identity the film's name                                                      

The four people in period costume appear to be at a screening of the completed film. The two men in the image play actual enemies in the film waiting to be identified..
  • HONDO said:

43        

O.K. then the answer to # 43. The film being prompted here is Dillinger ( 1973 ). The actor's shown here wearing  their costumes from the film appear to be attending an early screening of the film are from left to right Ben Johnson, Cloris Leachman,Michelle Phillips and Warren Oates.In the film Ben Johnson played FBI agent Melvin Purvis and Warren Oates pertrayed gangster John Dillinger.

• HONDO said:

# 44 - Manhattan Melodrama ( 1934 ) U.S.A. insert poster. Let's add to the fun by asking what film was this particular insert design used in. We now have 43 and 44 featuring film posters of Manhattan Melodrama.
    We now have only # 44 to solve, This style of Manhattan Melodrama poster was used in a more modern motion picture.

• Manhattan Melodrama ( 1934 ) insert poster design seen above as it was displayed in Public Enemies ( 2009 ) the answer to # 44. In Public Enemies Johnny Depp played John Dillinger and Christian Bale played Melvin Purvis.

You may be interested in hearing that the real Melvin Purvis was nicknamed 'Little Mel' and was only 5'4'' in height. In Dillinger Ben Johnson who played Purvis was 6'2'' in height and in Pubilic Enemies Christian Bale who portrayed him  was actually 5' 11 3/4'' in real life.

• HONDO said:

in Pubilic Enemies Christian Bale who portrayed him  was actually 5' 11 3/4'' in real life.

I wonder how many adults give their height by quarters of an inch :(

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• people who are trying to reach that magic 6' height :)

•                                                                            44

I most likely should have left this one in the too hard basket, but what the heck.

A clue is that the film this scene appeared in was banned in some countries including Australia, and the film displayed on the giant billboard should help to narrow down the time that the film awaiting to be identified was released

Should be a much easier image to identify. The poster is a combination of fact and fiction.                                                                
  • 45. Inglorious Basterds
  • #44 - Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
  • 45. Inglorious Basterds

Correct. Inglourious Basterds released in 2009. 

The above billboard film poster of Der Schmerz Bitterer Tranen is that of a fake film. Bridget von Hammersmark is of course the fictional character played in Inglourious Basterds by Diane Kruger shown above with  Zarah Leander who was in fact a real life Swedish singer and actress. Zarah Leander  was Germany's most popular actress during the Nazi period.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

jayn_j said:
    #44 - Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
    Correct and well done. I didn't think anyone would possibly work this one out as there wasn't much to work with.

The clue here to work on is the identity of the male actor in the scene above. 

This scene comes from a well regarded classic British film from the 1940s.                                         
  • 47 Brief Encounter?

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• edited April 2020

Bruce said:
    47 Brief Encounter?

Correct and well done Bruce. Brief Encounter ( 1945 ) is indeed  the film.

Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard appearing in the film at the same cinema session as the couple pictured in the image displayed that one was asked to identify. 

The ficticious film trailer that Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard were reacting to in the scene above. 

• I recently re-watched Brief Encounter with my 18 year old daughter! That's why I knew.

It is such a superlative "little" movie, probably the best "little" movie I have ever seen.

• Bruce said:
    I recently re-watched Brief Encounter with my 18 year old daughter! That's why I knew.

It is such a superlative "little" movie, probably the best "little" movie I have ever seen.

It is indeed a fine example of a good number of British films that were made in the 1940s, and a film that I also rate very highly. I hope your 18 year old daughter enjoyed it as well.

I Know Where I'm Going, Black Narcissus I See A Dark Stranger and The Third Man are also most fondly remembered British films from the 1940s, but my list would on and on.

• HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    I recently re-watched Brief Encounter with my 18 year old daughter! That's why I knew.

It is indeed a fine example of a good number of British films that were made in the 1940s, and a film that I also rate very highly. I hope your 18 year old daughter enjoyed it as well.

I Know Where I'm Going, Black Narcissus I See A Dark Stranger and The Third Man are also most fondly remembered British films from the 1940s, but my list would on and on.

She did really love it! She likes romantic films (and non-violent upbeat movies in general). We DID watch I Know Where I'm Going, and she really liked that too.

I won't start on the darker movies with her until we exhaust the upbeat ones, and we have worked our way through many great ones from all years and countries. The one bright spot of the current crisis is that her college has moved to online, so she is back home. I know I won't get to have her home much longer (her two older brothers moved away) but having her here now is great. I just wish it were under different circumstances.

•  Great to hear Bruce  that you and your daughter have shared the experience of viewing some classic films together from years past and that your daughter appreciates them  Continue to enjoy films together while you have your dauhter at home.
  • HONDO said:

Great to hear Bruce  that you and your daughter have shared the experience of viewing some classic films together from years past and that your daughter appreciates them  Continue to enjoy films together while you have your dauhter at home.
    I will! It is one of the great joys of my life.

• #46 - The Vault of Horror (1973).  I vaguely recall seeing this at a drive in triple feature about that time.

• edited April 2020

jayn_j said:
    #46 - The Vault of Horror (1973).  I vaguely recall seeing this at a drive in triple feature about that time.

Correct and well spotted Jay. I wasn't too confident in anyone getting the answer to this one.

The actor seen standing in the image is the German actor Curt Jurgens who was so great in The Enemy Below.

The film poster advertised on the billboard in the scene is for an actual Indian film titled Padosan from 1968. Looking at many posters that were printed for this film the scene of two men appearing behind a partly closed winow cannot be located Most of the viewed posters has an image of a female appearing at an open window as one example is seen following. I wonder if is an original designed Indian film poster, or one created especially for the film with perhaps it having some relevance to the film's plot?

The following is from a thread that I posted in June 2016 regarding this film which I will later add to.

''Horror Films Never Screened Theatrically In Australia That Weren't Banned.

Film # 1.  Vault Of Horror ( aka The Vault Of Horror / Further Tales From The Crypt / Tales From The Crypt, Part 11 ) ( 1973 ).

This film appears to have never been submitted for classification on 35mm for theatrical release in Australia as no records from Government databases exist to prove that the film was ever submitted or banned in Australian. The film was eventually submitted and passed for exhibition on videotape on the 1st of February,1984 when given an M certificate.''

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have recently established  that Vault Of Horror was screened on Australian television in Sydney in June 1976 on TCN9 classified ( AO ).

Still no information located as to the reason why the film wasn't screened theatrically in Australia

•  # 48 

It shouldn't be a problem to identify for some, but certainly will be for others, likely depending on where you live I believe.

# 49

Clues here are the two films being advertised in the image will narrow down the timespan, and the person partly appearing in the bottom left hand corner of the image is a major character in the film.

# 50

It's surely the easiest image to identify that you will most likely ever be presented with here.

• 50.  Grease.  Was on last night!
  • 48...I spy Bryan Brown and Wendy Hughes!
  • 50.  Grease.  Was on last night!

Grease ( 1978 ) was certainly the correct word I had been waiting for.

48...I spy Bryan Brown and Wendy Hughes!

Well spotted Ves ... and for the non Australians the title of the film is?

• I had Newsfront (1978) 
  • jayn_j said:
    I had Newsfront (1978) 
     # 48 is indeed the Australian film Newsfront from 1978.

Actors in this scene apart from Bryan Brown and Wendy Hughes, previously mentioned by Ves, include Gerard Kennedy ( second row ) and John Ewart and Chris Haywood in the front row.

The film covers the years from 1948 to 1956 when television was first introduced in Australia showing the cameramen and production staff at work and includes a lot of real life footage.
  • edited May 2020
    HONDO said:

# 49

Clues here are the two films being advertised in the image will narrow down the timespan, and the person partly appearing in the bottom left hand corner of the image is a major character in the film.

#49. Not yet identified. Another clue is that the film has a great music soundtrack.

# 51

This film has gained cult status over the years.