Skip to content

April 2020

It's understandably slow here at the VMPF watering hole, so I'll help kick start things off for April. I offer my usual apologies for using auction photos instead of getting off the dime and taking my own. The first two offerings here aren't movie posters, but do have a marginal relation to film:

This one is just a groovy 24x36 poster created to advertise what I assume was a car show, but it was held in conjunction with a related film festival:

This one is an 11x17 poster on one side, informational flyer on the other side thingy that I would guess advertises a series of the graphic novels. 

Allrighty. Now we're at least back into actual cinematic stuff. I had and sold off this poster in the distant past, but here I am, buying it once again:

And lastly for now, the gem of this particular post, a backed one sheet for a cautionary tale of morality:  ;)

B)B)  

Comments

• Honky Tony Girl is a 1000 out 1000 for that kind of poster!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Yours is the best validation I could ask for. Thanks, Bruce.  :)
  • Retro Rewind is a groovy poster, really digging that! 
  • Great posters!  What is this Frank Miller Family Values????  I need to look this up.

Hmmm, seems the Rockabilly Mansion needs this one?  

Yes?  Just say the word!
  • Egads, Ves! That one is definitely a slice of awesome.  :)

Sometime in the fairly recent past, I thought I'd find my Suburban Mayhem 1 sheet and get it up on the wall. Turns out it measures 27.5x40. Really? Friggin Aussies.  ;)
  • Consider it done!  Now I just need to find the other one I had you in mind for, and will get myself sorted.

Ah aussie poster sizes. Believe me I feel your pain.  At least you are talented enough to work around it. Im stuck with too big or too small posters for all my pre cut mats!
  • I think the solution that's both the most cost effective and easiest will be to order some custom cut metal frame sections for that size and then just have some plexi/perspex/whatever cut for it. I had it framed once, but it must've been a 30x40, and it just fit poorly in the frame. 

Nope, here's a pic of it, and it looks like it was ill fitting length wise. No idea how I pulled it off, as the poster itself isn't damaged. And, NS4 on the computer screen. This must've been around 2008 or so.
  • The fact that this is the Vintage MOVIE POSTERS Forum isn't lost on me, so if it ever irritates anyone that some of the stuff I buy and post in the recent acquisitions thread aren't movie posters, just let me know and I'll quit. Understandably, things are a bit quiet here, so I figure a bit of new content to look at is always welcome.  :)

One of the sub-collections I have is movie posters related to the interest in swing music in the 30's and 40's. Whenever the music-y stuff goes back up on the wall, some or all of these might be good companion pieces. The larger ones are 24x30 inches.

B)  B)
  • Awesome!  I collect all kinds of posters and would love to the see the non-movie stuff too.
  • Those are SENSATIONAL!
  • Love'em!
  • Those will look fantastic when matted and framed!
  • Alllllllrighty then. Here I am, hogging the April thread again.  :) Just a quick couple of new ones for me to try and help jump start us out of the doldrums here at the poster watering hole.

I wanted to hang my Bikini Beach 1 sheet sometime soon, but I needed a decent and like-themed poster to hang next to it. An inexpensive copy of this one seemed to fit the bill:

I stopped buying Mexican 1 sheets for the most part some time ago because they all seem to be prohibitively fragile, and they're a pain to find frames for, but I always kinda liked this poster and ran across an inexpensive one, so I'll see what I can do with it:

That's all the excitement for now. Back to your lives, citizens.  :)
  • Yep, it's me. Back again. Nothing super exciting here, and not a "hey guys, I found a Metropolis 6 sheet!" post. Anyhow, it is stuff for y'all to look at (and think to yourselves "why the feck would he buy that??). There's other posters that I have on the radar, but we'll see what I actually come up with. Watch this space for further developments. It just occurred to me that maybe I should be posting these in the my collection thread. Hmmmm. What to do? I guess I'll just post 'em here for now.

First off, how about a Risky Business poster without Tom Cruise? Just a nice, wholesome gal and a Porsche 928. It is a video release poster (reserve your copy on Beta now!), but it was also cheeeeep. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet, but I like it.

Sorry about the poor pic here. This is a seller's photo, like usual. The magnets I have for my whiteboard won't hold this thing unrolled, so this will have to do for now. I used to have a 1 sheet for this, but now I have a window card:

Here we have a set of stills for Hot Car Girl. I was on the fence a bit about buying them, as they may be the dullest set of stills ever. There are two that I have that aren't pictured, but they're nothing to write home about either. They weren't expensive, so I thought it would be remiss of me not to add them to the rock-o-car geek collection. Maybe this isn't an entire set, and someone just kept the good ones. Who knows.

Next up, a couple more automotive-ish ones. I know, gee whiz, what a surprise! I'll still keep looking for this under it's preferable title, Hot Rods To Hell, but this will be a decent placeholder for now:

A Belgian poster for Checkpoint. I have the US 1 sheet, but the art on this one is different and in some ways better:

And lastly for now (how can the fun be over so fast? - I know, I know, that's what she said.) a half sheet that I've been looking for, for a while now. It's a C-list title to be sure, but not one that pops up a lot:

I'm not sure what within the "panorama of abnormalities" would cause her to tear her clothes off, but whatever it is, I'm good with it.  B)
  • Defiant daughters... I know about that!!

• Fantastic ?
  • Looks like you have your work cut out for you, my friend! Awesome pic!
  • Thanks Rock! I was about to repaint the gates of the bunker and the little one joined. :)
  • It's always great when you can combine a chore you needed to do anyway with a little bonding time. That's awesome.  :)
  • edited April 2020
    Gees, I have two daughters.  So far mum is winning the war of wills, but I see my days are numbered!
  • Gees, I have two daughters.  So far mum is winning the war of wills, but I see my days are numbered!
    Every day is a coup d'etat waiting to happen...
    :)
  • love that Goofy
  • Thanks, Rick. I like the older animation and short subject stuff, but as with all poster collecting I suppose, finding interesting stuff that's affordable is a challenge.

I already have more recent acquisitions to post, but I feel like the lone ranger here. I'll hold off for a bit. 
  • Nah, post!  I am too lazy to take happy snaps of the few that I have purchased.  Mostly newer stuff anyhow :)
  • edited May 2020
    A few new Aussies for me, not newly acquired but FINALLY organised :)

Double tick off...Aussie and with art by Jeremy Saunders!

Sorry if I already posted this one before:

• Lastly to finish a perty daybill...

• Great batch of stuff ya got there, missy! Nicely curated! On the occasion here and there seeing Baltimore on tv, it's not anywhere I'd want to have an adventure.
  • Great batch of stuff ya got there, missy! Nicely curated! On the occasion here and there seeing Baltimore on tv, it's not anywhere I'd want to have an adventure.
    I dunno.  A quick search says the art museum is not to miss!  And don't forget Fort McHenry :)