Skip to content

Yeah, so, I am watching this..,

Comments

• Captain newman was a surprise hit for me.  I do love me Gregory Peck, but I find some of the films a bit long winded.  This was just a great all round film.  Not a bad word to say about it.

Yes, I admit ALOT of movie watching.
    With Friday's off and no where to go, am trying to get through as many as I can of the evenings, and sometimes a sneaky one in during the day weekends...all depending on what else is happening.
    I dare say with having to homeschool the girls once the break is over (not confirmed but I highly suspect it will be so) my days of sooo many movies are numbered!

No superheroes for a while. I did watch Wonder Woman a few months back, she was disappointing. A bit wooden.  Overal the film was enjoyable. 
    Though I did introduce the girls to Ant Man, then Ant Man and the Wasp which they loved as much as I did.  Got some you think I should add to the list?

• No superheroes for a while. I did watch Wonder Woman a few months back, she was disappointing. A bit wooden.  Overal the film was enjoyable. 
    Though I did introduce the girls to Ant Man, then Ant Man and the Wasp which they loved as much as I did.  Got some you think I should add to the list?
    I was only joking about the super hero films, but the following four non super heroes films come highly recommended.

Wild Rose stars a hugely talented Jesse Buckley and Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool covers the final years in the life of actress Gloris Grahame.

Finding Your Feet which features a great cast of U.K. actors is exactly as the tagline says and Wind River is a 10 / 10 rated film. All the people that I know that have seen this film do nothing but rave about it.,
  • edited April 2020
    HONDO said:

Baptise television series that kept me involved and intrigued.

The Baptiste character appeared earlier  in The Missing television series as well. The first series was very good but the latest second series that I finished watching tonight was superb and the best drama television series by far that I have seen for a long time.

I am looking foeward to seeing the second series of Baptise, which has been given the green light to produce.
  • Watched The Rise of Skywalker last night. I quite enjoyed it, better than the last two. Early on in the film I thought the background music over shadowed the characters voices at times. Other than that, I'd give it an 8/10.
  • Is this the last one?  I am bout 4 movies behind, so unlikely to catch up any time soon, considering the middle 2-3 were crap!
  • Disney they haven't discounted another but there would be a significant break before that happens. It's a guaranteed money maker, they wouldn't stop now. 

• The Red Shoes

Was on the telly a few days back and we caught the end of it.
    The girls took a shine to it, and wanted to watch the whole thing.
    Warnings and all about the length they still wanted to see it.
    The little one lost interest now and again, but the older one really seemed to enjoy it.
    Needless to say the Red Shoes ballet sequence was a real hit with both of them.

"Mummy, she is really beautiful isn't she..."  That's my girl!  Charley really seems to be taking to the older films, which I wont lie, fills my heart with much joy!
  • Ha! How old is Charley now?
  • Happy Birthday Charley! Wow 10, she's a big girl now!

• Whispering Smith ( 1948 ). A enjoyable beautifully shot western with a top notch cast including a great villain played by Frank Faylen who is seen above.

Mildred Pierce ( 2011 ). Five part miniseries adapted from a 1941 novel by James M. Cain. His novel was previously adapted as a film and released in1945, also titled Mildred Pierce with Joan Crawford playing the title role. I had never seen the earlier film before, which probably helped my enjoyment with the viewing the film with knowing little about the plot of this series. Kate Winslet, Guy Pearce and the whole cast were excellent and the singing of coloraturo soprano  Sumi Jo, who dubs the voice of  Evan Rachel Wood is superb.

A Quiet Place ( 2018 ). Not the film genre that I am normally interested in viewing, but some excellent word of mouth that I received on top of some good reviews encouraged me to give it a go. It was exciting and engossing and can't wait to see part 11. 

• Gurrumul

Masterfully told, beautiful to look at.  He had an amazing voice.
    I found this so interesting, highly recommended to anyone.
    The bit about his duet with Sting was great.
    Just a great big WOW from me.
  • Oh they remade Mildred Pierce?  Loved the original film with Crawford.  Not sure how I would take to the remake, but some great names them that I loved inmany other things.

As for Quiet Place, I dont like horror, but I am yet to hear a bad word about this film.  On a scale of 1 to 10, how bad is it on the horror spectrum?  Now keep in mind, I have been permanently scarred by the dinner table scene from the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, hence Ves does not handle horror well!

• From Here to Eternity...
    Wow.  I was glued to the tv from start to finish.  Superb cast, each one was brilliant in their role.
    I have always loved Deborah Kerr, and no wonder with her performance in this one.
    Lancaster was electric!  Couldn't take my eyes off him!  
    Pretty close to perfection for me.  Wowee...what an amazing film.

• From Here to Eternity...
    Wow.  I was glued to the tv from start to finish.  Superb cast, each one was brilliant in their role.
    I have always loved Deborah Kerr, and no wonder with her performance in this one.
    Lancaster was electric!  Couldn't take my eyes off him!  
    Pretty close to perfection for me.  Wowee...what an amazing film.
    I completely agree! Fred Zinnemann had a great book to work from, and an incredible cast, but he got the absolute most out of them.

I don't know if you are a reader, but the book is far more complex than the movie, and really worth reading. There was so much in it that several major characters and subplots were either eliminated or barely mentioned (George Reeves' character, Mahlon Stark had a very large role in the book, but was hardly in the movie).

And of course Fred Zinnemann directed many other wonderful moves as well.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Thanks Bruce.  Definately will be giving the book a go.  And I will have to check out alot more of Zinnemann's work!

• After a killer of a week, I wanted to end on something lighter...

The Grand Budapest Hotel
    I have seen chunks of the film over the years, but never have I been able to enjoy it from start to finish, uninterrupted (the joys of small children!)
    I am a fan of Anderson's work, so always try to give it a go.
    Fiennes is always a bit hit or miss for me, but thoroughly enjoyed him in this.
    Abraham, Brody and Defoe never disappoint.  Sometimes I think poor Defoe was made to play characters like this.
    A thoroughly enjoyable end to the week for me!
  • Never seen Eternity or Budapest Hotel but will look for them on amazon. Here was my most recent watch. 

Yeah, guess it’s a B-studio product, but it was entertaining. 
  • Thanks Bruce.  Definately will be giving the book a go.  And I will have to check out alot more of Zinnemann's work!

Here are ones I highly recommend, which are most of what he directed (because Zinnemann had the greatest winner/loser ratio of ANY director to my way of thinking):

1955Oklahoma!
     1952High Noon
     1950The Men
     1948The Search

although you may have seen some of the above already!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Jumping forward to 1948. Quasi-documentary. 
     Very good movie, great looking poster, Argentinian.
    Lee J. Cobb shines as well. 

Call Northside 777

• Mystery Road  series 2

Killing Eve series 3

Both engrossing series.

• I have been putting off second season of Mystery Road because I never finished the first one.  It is becoming harder to put it off!  Might have to go for a marathon on iview of both next week!
  • Black Narcissus for the bazillionth time.  Still brilliant!
  • I took in this movie called Carrie Pilby.  You could tell if was probably a great book - the movie had great dialogue but then there were over the top romance scenes that didn't fit her sass and sarcasm. They built her innocence/quirkiness up, almost naivety but never slammed her with reality. In the cheezy romance scenes, they built you to a point were you thought there was going to be a drop but no, they were just over the top.  The second love interest could have been better served by a different actor.  I enjoyed it.  Bel Powley's eyes were the best.  Poster is pretty kick ass - couldn't find one though.

• Was on tv the other night so gave it a go.
    I dunno what I was expecting, but left thoroughly depressed.
    A very troubled man it seems.
    Perhaps that's why his cartoons are so good.
  • The Last Dance docu series on Netflix.  Bloody great.  Grew up in this era of basketball.  Ah the memories.  Superbly put together and a great watch, I learned a lot about the players and the team.  Rodman man...WTF happened there.  He was awesome in the early years.  That would be one hell of a story...
  • I made it through episode 8 and then we moved into the new house... Yeah! BUTTTTTTT.... We only have one cable box atm and it’s not connected to a tv since Sunday.  Can’t wait to finish it off!

For now - Season 2 of Star Trek Discovery...

• William Kelly's War.
    Hmmm, I am a bit perplexed by this one.
    The acting isn't great.  The story itself has promise.
    Two stories almost parallel - Bothers and a cousin go to War, and back home we follow their families journey awaiting their return (with some bushrangers mixed in).
    And finally the two converge when the brothers return home.
    We (Australia) seem to be obsessed with telling these stories, and there have been some great ones.  This one not so much.

• Red Billabong
    Not the worst thing I have seen.
    As its not usually the kind of thing I watch, wasn't expecting much and wasn't disappointed.
    First half was painful...second half was a big improvement.
    Nothing you haven't seen in the bazillion other monster movies out there.

• Broken Hill
    Thought I had seen this before, and indeed I had.
    Young man working on the family station has big dreams, but held back by the his surrounds and family expectations.
    Better than you would think, but nothing earth shattering here.

Charlie's Country
    What a face!  You can see he has lived a life!
    Wonderful movie giving insight into how the older generation of Aboriginals, in particular Charlie, sees the intrusion of the white man on their country and way of life.
    Highly recommend you watch if you haven't seen.
    Gulpilil is sublime as usual.