Skip to content

War Movies Quiz

Comments

• I look forward to logging in tomorrow morning and having Jay post the answer :)
    Don't think so.  Today is busy and I think this is going to need a deep dive.

• I am thinking it it time to finalise this one. # 286 answer is The Tanks Are Coming ( 1951 ). 

I had been hoping someone would have worked out the following  clue that was included earlier on.  

''Final clue is The Russians aren't coming! The Russians aren't coming! ...   But!...''

The tank in the above left hand image is the same tank that featured in my earlier black and white posted image. The scene the tank appears in is part of a German ambush on American tanks.

• That was a hard one!  
  • I wasn't even close.

288 289 290

I am hoping at least the majority of the above images answers are obtainable.
  • 291 The W Plan

Not to brag too much, but I think I am one of the very best at recognizing posters from part of the image. 

I have done so much sorting of one-sheets for bulk lots that there are thousands of posters from the 1960s and 1970s that I know from seeing a tiny corner!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    291 The W Plan

Not to brag too much, but I think I am one of the very best at recognizing posters from part of the image. 

I have done so much sorting of one-sheets for bulk lots that there are thousands of posters from the 1960s and 1970s that I know from seeing a tiny corner

Correct and well spotted Bruce.The W Plan is a Wardour Films U.K. British film release from 1930 which was picked up for distribution in the U.S.A. and Canada by RKO. A very striking design the American artist came up with.

I am also able to identify film titles from just seeing small sections of a poster. I put this down to my personal love of everything film related, covering a long period of time, and in particular concentrating on researching film posters.This along with working as an archivist manager handling a lot of film related material improved my skills in this area I believe. 

I will have to include a few more hand grawn film poster images in future, rather than actual photographic images that I tend to to use mainly these days.

• #287 - To Hell and Back (1955) 

You showed the whole image, so not sure I accomplished much by posting the imdb one.  I definitely recall this one, and even as a teen thought it showed amazing ego for Audie Murphy to star as himself here.
  • jayn_j said:
    #287 - To Hell and Back (1955)
    Correct.

• Some clues for the remaining three unanswered images are -

288 Has an Australian connection.

289 Has a Dutch connection.

290 The actors in the scene should help to solve this one.
  • <click> <click>  Paging Ves.  1234  <click>
  • I have....no idea :)
  • I will give 288 a go...Australian connection, leave it with me.
    Seems a fairly recent movie...I'll be back.
  • HONDO said:

Some clues for the remaining three unanswered images are -

288 Has an Australian connection.

289 Has a Dutch connection.

290 The actors in the scene should help to solve this one.

Final clue is that two thirds colour is involved here.
  • 288.  Hacksaw Ridge

290.  I am told is The Green Berets :)
  • edited August 2020
    288.  Hacksaw Ridge

290.  I am told is The Green Berets :)
    Yes correct and well done. Aldo Ray and Ramond St. Jacques are the actors that appear in The Green Berets posted image.

Hacksaw Ridge ( 2016 ).                                                   The Green Berets ( 1968 ).
  • OK, since Ves jumped in, #289 is Black Book (2006)

(image on imdb is identical to the clue).  I've never seen this one.
  • jayn_j said:
    OK, since Ves jumped in, #289 is Black Book (2006)

(image on imdb is identical to the clue).  I've never seen this one.

Correct and well spotted. I must try and seek this one out to view.

• edited August 2020

293                                                                                                      294

Three more set during World War 11 to test you.
  • I've struggled with the war quiz of late. Lot of new movies I haven't seen before.

293 I recognize the guy holding the bazooka....argh!!! 
  • #294 - Is Paris Burning (1966)

• edited August 2020
    Russ Tamblyn who played Tom Thumb in Tom Thumb is holding the bazooka.

#293 is Retreat Hell (1952)

• jayn_j said:
    #294 - Is Paris Burning (1966)

Matt said:
    Russ Tamblyn who played Tom Thumb in Tom Thumb is holding the bazooka.

#293 is Retreat Hell (1952)

Good work both of you.

Clue for 292 is that the director used his wife in his films whenever he could do so. 

• HONDO said:

Clue for 292 is that the director used his wife in his films whenever he could do so. 

A final clue is that the  title song played over the film's opening credits was performed in a folk song manner by the guest star credited actress. This song was written by her director husband but credited ueing a pseudonymn.

• As it appears no one is going to supply the answer to question 292, I will reveal that the film in question is Beach Red from 1967. The two actors in the scene are Cornel Wilde and Rip Torn .Cornel Wilde was also the director of this film. His lovely wife Jean Wallace briefly appeared in the film in flashbacks only, as well as singing the title song over the opening credits.

• I had no idea...
  • edited September 2020

295                                                            296                                                                    297

Three more titles to ponder. Two of these shouldn't present too much of a problem in answering I am thinking, but the other one could. 

• edited September 2020
    #295 Pilot #5 (1943)

• Matt beat me to #295.  Always find early Gene Kelly stuff interesting.

#297:  Stalag 17 (1953)

• Matt said:
    #295 Pilot #5 (1943)

Correct prompt  answer to the image that I thought would be the hardest one to solve. Well done.

jayn_j said:
    Matt beat me to #295.  Always find early Gene Kelly stuff interesting.

#297:  Stalag 17 (1953)

Those darn time zones.  Correct, and appearing in the image posted by Jay is the actor Robert Strauss playing the part of an American prisoner of war called 'Animal'.

Robert Strauss ( left ) playng Sgt. Stanislaus 'Aninal'  Kuzawa, seen here with Harvey Lembeck ( right ) playing Sgt. Harry Shapiro. A film one can see over and over again and still  receive great enjoyment from the experience. 

A single clue for the remaining # 296 would you believe  happens to be animal.