Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

War Movies Quiz

1272829303133»

Comments

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Is 274 Hell is For Heroes?
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    Bruce said:
    It certainly is Bruce and well done. The original image I posted from IMDB was uncredited, but the two people in the image have to be Harry Guardino ( on the left ) and Bobby Darin ( on the right ). 

Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    #272 Cross of Iron - 1977 

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    jayn_j said:
    #272 Cross of Iron - 1977 

Correct and well spotted Jay.

Added note for previously answered # 274 Hell Is For Heroes. James Coburn and Steve McQueen appeared in three feature films together, with these being The Magnificent Seven ( 1960 ) , Hell Is For Heroes ( 1962 ) and The Great Escape ( 1963 ). They were good friends in real life and had  appeared together  earlier in Steve McQueen's western television series Wanted Dead Or Alive ( 1958 - 1961 ). Coburn guest starred in three episodes  in 1959 and 1960.

Lawrence
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,556 admin
    273- The Thin Red Line (1964)

• BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    It certainly is Bruce and well done. The original image I posted from IMDB was uncredited, but the two people in the image have to be Harry Guardino ( on the left ) and Bobby Darin ( on the right ). 

I always liked Harry Guardino. He reminded me of people I knew in New York growing up. But he got typecast as a tough guy in war movies and crime movies, and never really got a chance to make a mark. But I liked him in Dirty Harry and Madigan.

That's how I was able to guess the still, because I recognized Guardino from the image.
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Matt said:
    273- The Thin Red Line (1964)

Correct and well spotted. I hadn't realised that the scene I had displayed appeared on the U.S. insert poster.

Lawrence
    edited May 15
    Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:

I always liked Harry Guardino. He reminded me of people I knew in New York growing up. But he got typecast as a tough guy in war movies and crime movies, and never really got a chance to make a mark. But I liked him in Dirty Harry and Madigan.

That's how I was able to guess the still, because I recognized Guardino from the image.
    I too liked Harry and he was good in Houseboat ( 1958 ). He always added something extra to the countless television programmes he had roles in  with his appearences over the years. Sadly he died at the age of 69 from lung cancer.

Lawrence
    edited May 21

# 275 

# 276 

# 277

Continuing the focus on World War 11.

Lawrence

# 276 clue is that this film is the second film adaptation of a 1960's novel.

Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    edited May 23
    HONDO said:

That would be the 1998 remake of The Thin Red Line. Movie spooked me out with violence.
    - Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    jayn_j said:
    HONDO said:

That would be the 1998 remake of The Thin Red Line. Movie spooked me out with violence.

Correct. This version ran 2 hours 50 minutess in duration compared to the 1964 version which ran only 99 minutes.

Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    ok, so I had no idea.
    But 277 looks like Colin Farrell, so after some googling and deducing, I say Hart's War.
    ok, so I had no idea.
    But 277 looks like Colin Farrell, so after some googling and deducing, I say Hart's War.
    Your say is correct and it is Colin Farrell appearing in Hart's War ( 2002 ).

Lawrence

# 275 clue is that the film is set away from the battlefields. Think outside the box with this one.

Lawrence

278  279

World War 11 continues.
    Lawrence
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    HONDO said:

# 275 clue is that the film is set away from the battlefields. Think outside the box with this one.

Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas...I cheated :D
    278.  My contribution is it's a picture of the beautiful Betty Grable

HONDO said:

Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas...I cheated :D
    Correct. It's not cheating Ves it's what I call investigating.

The Boy In The Striped Pajamas ( 2008 ).Rupert Friend was the actor who played Lieutenant Kotler who appeared in the original image I had displayed.  Recently recorded it on Foxtel Australia and I will watch it soon.

Lawrence
    theartofmovieposters said:
    278.  My contribution is it's a picture of the beautiful Betty Grable

It certainly is a photograph of Betty Grable attached to the tree. This poster made her the number one pin up girl of World War 11. Her legs were insured by her studio 20th Century Fox for $1 million as a publicity stunt. A clue is included somewhere within the last two lines.

Lawrence
    edited May 27

(Commorative Air Force Museum photo ).

This B-17G flying fortress bomber  Sentimental Journey ( 44 - 83514 ) was introduced in November 1944 and had Betty Grable's swimsuit pose image attached to the plane showing her great popularity at that time.
    Lawrence
    278. Guadalcanal Diary - Fair effort to get there for me, but I got there!  The 20th Century Fox clue helped to narrow it down quite a bit!
    edited May 28

278. Guadalcanal Diary - Fair effort to get there for me, but I got there!  The 20th Century Fox clue helped to narrow it down quite a bit!
    Correct again Ves and I am glad the clue helped. Guadalcanal Diary was released in 1943 and William Bendix is the actor having a shave.

Lawrence
    #279 looks like it got missed.

The Eagle Has Landed (1976)

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
    jayn_j said:
    #279 looks like it got missed.

The Eagle Has Landed (1976)

You got it and I didn't have to provide my subterfuge clue. Well done.
    Lawrence
    Jay...the king of the War quiz!