Skip to content

War Movies Quiz

Comments

• Is 274 Hell is For Heroes?

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    Is 274 Hell is For Heroes?
    It certainly is Bruce and well done. The original image I posted from IMDB was uncredited, but the two people in the image have to be Harry Guardino ( on the left ) and Bobby Darin ( on the right ). 

• #272 Cross of Iron - 1977 

• jayn_j said:
    #272 Cross of Iron - 1977 

Correct and well spotted Jay.

Added note for previously answered # 274 Hell Is For Heroes. James Coburn and Steve McQueen appeared in three feature films together, with these being The Magnificent Seven ( 1960 ) , Hell Is For Heroes ( 1962 ) and The Great Escape ( 1963 ). They were good friends in real life and had  appeared together  earlier in Steve McQueen's western television series Wanted Dead Or Alive ( 1958 - 1961 ). Coburn guest starred in three episodes  in 1959 and 1960.

• 273- The Thin Red Line (1964)

• HONDO said:
    Bruce said:
    It certainly is Bruce and well done. The original image I posted from IMDB was uncredited, but the two people in the image have to be Harry Guardino ( on the left ) and Bobby Darin ( on the right ). 

I always liked Harry Guardino. He reminded me of people I knew in New York growing up. But he got typecast as a tough guy in war movies and crime movies, and never really got a chance to make a mark. But I liked him in Dirty Harry and Madigan.

That's how I was able to guess the still, because I recognized Guardino from the image.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Matt said:
    273- The Thin Red Line (1964)

Correct and well spotted. I hadn't realised that the scene I had displayed appeared on the U.S. insert poster.

• edited May 2020
    Bruce said:
    HONDO said:
    Bruce said:

I always liked Harry Guardino. He reminded me of people I knew in New York growing up. But he got typecast as a tough guy in war movies and crime movies, and never really got a chance to make a mark. But I liked him in Dirty Harry and Madigan.

That's how I was able to guess the still, because I recognized Guardino from the image.
    I too liked Harry and he was good in Houseboat ( 1958 ). He always added something extra to the countless television programmes he had roles in  with his appearences over the years. Sadly he died at the age of 69 from lung cancer.

• edited May 2020

# 275 

# 276 

# 277

Continuing the focus on World War 11.

•  # 276 clue is that this film is the second film adaptation of a 1960's novel.

• edited May 2020
    HONDO said:

# 276 clue is that this film is the second film adaptation of a 1960's novel.  

That would be the 1998 remake of The Thin Red Line. Movie spooked me out with violence.
  • jayn_j said:
    HONDO said:

# 276 clue is that this film is the second film adaptation of a 1960's novel.  

That would be the 1998 remake of The Thin Red Line. Movie spooked me out with violence.

Correct. This version ran 2 hours 50 minutess in duration compared to the 1964 version which ran only 99 minutes.

• ok, so I had no idea.
    But 277 looks like Colin Farrell, so after some googling and deducing, I say Hart's War.
  • ok, so I had no idea.
    But 277 looks like Colin Farrell, so after some googling and deducing, I say Hart's War.
    Your say is correct and it is Colin Farrell appearing in Hart's War ( 2002 ).

•  # 275 clue is that the film is set away from the battlefields. Think outside the box with this one.

•  278  279

World War 11 continues.
  • HONDO said:

# 275 clue is that the film is set away from the battlefields. Think outside the box with this one.

Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas...I cheated :D
  • 278.  My contribution is it's a picture of the beautiful Betty Grable

• HONDO said:

# 275 clue is that the film is set away from the battlefields. Think outside the box with this one.

Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas...I cheated :D
    Correct. It's not cheating Ves it's what I call investigating.

The Boy In The Striped Pajamas ( 2008 ).Rupert Friend was the actor who played Lieutenant Kotler who appeared in the original image I had displayed.  Recently recorded it on Foxtel Australia and I will watch it soon.

• theartofmovieposters said:
    278.  My contribution is it's a picture of the beautiful Betty Grable

It certainly is a photograph of Betty Grable attached to the tree. This poster made her the number one pin up girl of World War 11. Her legs were insured by her studio 20th Century Fox for $1 million as a publicity stunt. A clue is included somewhere within the last two lines.

• edited May 2020

(Commorative Air Force Museum photo ).

This B-17G flying fortress bomber  Sentimental Journey ( 44 - 83514 ) was introduced in November 1944 and had Betty Grable's swimsuit pose image attached to the plane showing her great popularity at that time.
  • 278. Guadalcanal Diary - Fair effort to get there for me, but I got there!  The 20th Century Fox clue helped to narrow it down quite a bit!
  • edited May 2020

278. Guadalcanal Diary - Fair effort to get there for me, but I got there!  The 20th Century Fox clue helped to narrow it down quite a bit!
    Correct again Ves and I am glad the clue helped. Guadalcanal Diary was released in 1943 and William Bendix is the actor having a shave.

• #279 looks like it got missed.

The Eagle Has Landed (1976)

• jayn_j said:
    #279 looks like it got missed.

The Eagle Has Landed (1976)

You got it and I didn't have to provide my subterfuge clue. Well done.
  • Jay...the king of the War quiz!
  • World  War 11 Pacific theatre of war.

Three more that shoudn't present too much of a problem to answer. 

• 280. Paradise Road
  • #281 Blood Oath/ Prisoners of the Sun (1990)  (A George Takei war film)
  • 280. Paradise Road
    Correct Paradise Road from 1997. Early Cate Blanchett appearance.

jayn_j said:
    #281 Blood Oath/ Prisoners of the Sun (1990)  (A George Takei war film
    Correct.

A clue is - at home on a horse