Skip to content

War Movies Quiz

Comments

• Correct for 309. Great work to promptly identify this one Jay. I didn't even have to give a well thought up clue that I had lined up and ready to go. My thinking was I would probably have to use it later on.

36 Hours is an underated film from 1964. It is dated 1965 on the lobby card, but was screened in London in 1964.

311 312

A combination of what should be easy, and perhaps not so easy to answer.
  • 310 Battle of the Bulge  (1965)

• 312 The War Lover (1962)

• edited November 2020
    Matt said:
    310 Battle of the Bulge  (1965)

jayn_j said:
    312 The War Lover (1962)

Both correct  and well spotted.

Clue for the remaining 311 is that the image in question is from a very well known film, and with  the scene displayed I had thought it should be enough to enable one to identify the film's title. I will add thought that the cast includes a  screen legend in an early appearance.
  • Is 311 this one?

The Deer Hunter
  • edited November 2020
    Is 311 this one?

The Deer Hunter
    It certainly is The Deer Hunter ( 1978 ). Meryn Streep was the person I was referring to with my earlier clue.

•  313 314 315

Three more entries, and I am thinking  # 314 may be the one to challenge members the most.

• ep, I am getting nowhere on 314.  First thought was obviously "Wings".  Tried searches on WW1, 30s war, women in war, etc and came up with nada.  Might be Jane Powell? in center.

• jayn_j said:
    ep, I am getting nowhere on 314.  First thought was obviously "Wings".  Tried searches on WW1, 30s war, women in war, etc and came up with nada.  Might be Jane Powell? in center.
    A little known film, but unique for it's time. Too early for Jane Powell. Re released at least twice under different titles. A prolific director helmed the film.
  • 315. I'm only guessing... maybe Saving Private Ryan?
  • Matt said:
    315. I'm only guessing... maybe Saving Private Ryan?
    Sorry,  but it's not the answer.

A clue is Australia.There is also an slight connection between 313 and 315. 

• 315.  Hacksaw Ridge or Unbroken?  I'll go with Hacksaw Ridge based on your clue and the explosion.
  • 315.  Hacksaw Ridge or Unbroken?  I'll go with Hacksaw Ridge based on your clue and the explosion.

Hacksaw Ridge ( 2016 ) it is indeed..

• Clues for  the two remaining  unanswered images.

313  clue is only acted this time.

314  clue is The Women.
  • 313.  We were soldiers.  A little birdie told me...Can't take credit.
  • 313.  We were soldiers.  A little birdie told me...Can't take credit.
    Correct, and irrespective of how you come up with an answer, I am always happy with a correct answer from whatever source it is derived from. The film was released in 2002.

• Now we still have remaining one of the hardest images, if not the hardest ever, to be able to identity on this quiz.

My earlier clue was The Women. To clarify this I was referring to the 1939 film. Both films have something in common.

• As no one appears likely to answer # 314,  I will now reveal the answer to be The Mad Parade ( 1931 ).

Prior to the The Women, the well known 1939 MGM film that I had mentioned in my earlier clue, there was The Mad Parade in 1931 which also featured an all - female cast. The Mad Parade is today a little known film about Red Cross nurses serving on the front line in World War 1. It would appear this was the first feature film produced with an all female cast, in the U.S.A. at least. Interestingly the Wikipedia listing that follows doesn't include this film title at all.

Category:Films featuring an all-female cast - Wikipedia

Both above images published in 1931. 

The Mad Parade ( 1931 ) was re-released in 1936 as Forgotten Women, then again in 1940 as War Angels.

The above is from Everyones Ausust 19.1931 edition. It would appear that Paramount only had distribution rights for five years before the ownership rights reverted back to the original owners. This then enabled them to independently re-release the film twice within a very short period of time.
  • edited November 2020
    Hmmm, I did that search on all female cast movies, and that one didn't come up.  I guess it really is obscure.  I don't see any variation listed in your link either.  Failed, but not for lack of trying.
  • jayn_j said:
    Hmmm, I did that search on all female cast movies, and that one didn't come up.  I guess it really is obscure.  I don't see any variation listed in your link either.  Failed, but not for lack of trying.
    Top marks for trying and persistance.

Some more details on the film from the Alpha DVD release.

Forgotten Women (aka The Mad Parade): Amazon.com.au: Movies & TV Shows
  • edited November 2020
    jayn_j said:
    I did the same! I spent around 15 minutes in all kinds of searches, to no avail.

It doesn't help that there was another U.S. movie (from Monogram) named Forgotten Women, that has no connection, but was also made in 1931!

Obviously, the existence of that movie was why this film was not released in the U.S. under its original title.

And of course, now we will update our terrible description of the movie, so it will be easy to find as the "first" all-women's movie in the future.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited November 2020

The Mad Parade was based on a story titled Women Like Men. Forgotten Women was only the 1936 re-release title used for the film.

The following information on the background of one of the film's screenwriters may be of interest.

Doris Malloy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to navigationJump to search
    Doris Malloy
    BornMay 11, 1901
    Gloversville, New York, USA
    DiedNovember 6, 1955 (aged 54)
    Los Angeles, California, USA
    OccupationScreenwriter
    Years active1926–1943

Doris Malloy (1901–1955) was an American screenwriter active during the 1920s through the 1940s.

Biography[edit]

Born in Gloversville, New York, in 1901 to Henry Malloy (noted as a "prominent gambler" in a few publicity items)[1] and Kate Huckans, Doris worked as an ambulance woman in Europe during World War I,[2][3] before becoming a studio stenographer at Universal for screenwriter Raymond L. Schrock and then a script reader[4] in Hollywood.

She even took her experience working as an ambulance driver in combat zones during World War I and used it to inform The Mad Parade, one of her first screenwriting assignments, which she co-wrote with Gertrude Orr. "There was a time when a screen story without the conventional 'sweethearts' would have been laughed off the lot," Malloy said at the time, noting that she and Orr took great pains to show women's wartime experiences in an accurate light.[

• edited November 2020

316 317 318

Three more images to test your memory or investigative skills.
  • 316 is surely The Dirty Dozen. I have seen it a zillion times.
    317 looks like Where Eagles Dare

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    316 is surely The Dirty Dozen. I have seen it a zillion times.
    317 looks like Where Eagles Dare

Spot on with 316. It is indeed The Dirty Dozen ( 1967 ).

Good guess for 317 but sorry to say that it isn't the one. Don't give up yet.
  • 317 is The Heroes of Telemark (1965)
  • jayn_j said:
    317 is The Heroes of Telemark (1965)
     Correct.

• 318.  The Burmese Harp...I cheated.
  • edited November 2020
    318.  The Burmese Harp...I cheated.
    Correct, and well done irrespective of how the answer was found.

I had seen this film many years ago. I programmed it at a film society I was involved in, and we screened a beautiful 16mm print of the film. A impressive film that is also known as being Harp Of Burma, The original Japanese title was Biruma no tategoto and is from 1956. I just love the following impressive film poster.

( IMDB ).