Skip to content

Yeah, so, I am watching this..,

Comments

• Great to see you working your way through some obscure Australian titles Ves. I must admit that I haven't ( yet ) seen any of them.

I will mention though that an Australian film titled Gurrumul  that you mentioned in April as seeing I have viewed at an art house cinema at Leichhardt a Sydney suburb and thought it was excellent.

• Thanks Lawrence.
    I make it a point to see as many Australian films as I can.
    Unfortunately they dont get much of a run at the cinemas and even then with small kids its a challenge to get there.
    So I try to watch or at least record them whenever they are on TV.
    I find that the numerous free to air channels do runs of aussie films but at obscure and inconvenient times, so I find recording and watching back later easiest.
    Then my biggest challenge is finding time to watch them, which is usually late at night on the weekends when the girls are in bed.

Gurrumul was just wonderful!  He was a beautiful human being.
    I have a feeling you will quite enjoy Charlie's Country.  Of the latest lot I've watched, it would be my pick.  But I am a bit biased towards David Gulpilil, I think he is just wonderful!
  • theartofmovieposters said:

Thanks Lawrence,
    I have a feeling you will quite enjoy Charlie's Country.  Of the latest lot I've watched, it would be my pick.  But I am a bit biased towards David Gulpilil, I think he is just wonderful!

I agree 100% with your comment about David Gulpilil being wonderful. He always commands the screen and I have held him in high esteem ever since I first saw his performance in Walkabout many years ago.

I have now added Charlie's Country to a long list of films to chase up and hopefully to view in the future.

• I have just watched episode two of eight of Perry Mason, the 2020 HBO mini series. If you were a fan of the original television series this effort may not agree with you. In a word - dark. 

• Cinemas in Sydney are reopening  tomorrow. I just had a look at the programmes on offer at my local Event Cinemas, and apart from a couple of new titles that in pre Covid-19 would have most likely have had limited and mainly arthouse bookings, the majority of to films be screened  are from when the closedown of cinemas happened or even further back that that.The titles available tomorrow include  Jojo Rabbit, The Invisible Man, Joker, Bohemian Rhapsody, Little Women and Jumangi: The Next Level. I am sure the majoriity of regular cinemagoers have already seen these films that had lengthy runs or had decided not to see them when they first came out.

Don't hold on to the belief that you will  be able to see the new James Bond film No Time To Die or any other blockbusters anytime soon I would suggest.
  • HONDO said:

Cinemas in Sydney are reopening  tomorrow. I just had a look at the programmes on offer at my local Event Cinemas, and apart from a couple of new titles that in pre Covid-19 would have most likely have had limited and mainly arthouse bookings, the majority of to films be screened  are from when the closedown of cinemas happened or even further back that that.The titles available tomorrow include  Jojo Rabbit, The Invisible Man, Joker, Bohemian Rhapsody, Little Women and Jumangi: The Next Level. I am sure the majoriity of regular cinemagoers have already seen these films that had lengthy runs or had decided not to see them when they first came out.

Don't hold on to the belief that you will  be able to see the new James Bond film No Time To Die or any other blockbusters anytime soon I would suggest.

I think that most studios have pulled their new releases until things settle and they are likely to get an audience some decent returns.  Hence i think just about all cinemas will be doing re-runs of one kind or another.

Opal Dream

A sweet movie, better than I thought.
    A little girls imaginary friends change her families lives.

• Tudawali
    The story of the life of Robert Tudawali, who played Jedda.
    Knew nothing about him, and I see so many parallels with the great Gulpilil.
    The film itself doesn't age the best, but enough in there to keep you interested.
    Ernie Dingo....probably the best I have seen him perform in a role.
  • edited July 2020
    Kids are at grandparents for a sleep over, day off work yesterday and all chores done by mid morning.
    Rainy and cold outside, so I took the opportunity to knock over a few more films I had lined up to watch.

Swinging Safari.
    Bloody hilariouos!
    Growing up in the 70s with parents like these was tough!
    Great story, well told, wonderfully acted...and all the 70s references and products were awesome.
    A trip down memory lane.  It even brought the other half out from his hidy hole and we laughed the whole way.
    Highly recommended.

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri was on the telly last night and one I've wanted to catch.
    McDormand is a powerhouse as usual.
    Harrelson was a real surprise.  His movie choices of late that I have seen have all been wonderful!  Outstanding in this one too.
    Rockwell was amazing, so I can understand all the awards.
    Overall a good movie - the one liners are a killer.
    Her scene with the priest was gold!
    My only issue with this one is the redemption of Dixon.
    I get it...I get why, but I think it could have been handled differently.
    The first half of the film definately has a different feel to the second.

Finished off with Felony
    I am a huge fan of Edgerton, and this is one he wrote as well as starred in.
    This was a good solid film.
    Good cops, bad cops, corrupt cops and the fine lines between them all.
  • edited July 2020
    theartofmovieposters said:

Swinging Safari.
    Bloody hilariouos!
    Growing up in the 70s with parents like these was tough!
    Great story, well told, wonderfully acted...and all the 70s references and products were awesome.
    A trip down memory lane.  It even brought the other half out from his hidy hole and we laughed the whole way.
    Highly recommended.
    I haven't seen Swinging Safari yet but will look out for it on Foxtel. I was going to see it at the cinema but didn't end up getting there. There is some history behind the name of this film.

''The original title, "Flammable Children", was a sticking point with the film's backers who were worried it would be perceived as a horror film. However writer/director, Stephan Elliott, stuck to his guns on the matter. The film was on it's final stages (with even a title card) when the Grenfell Tower fire happened in the UK tragically taking the lives of many children, Elliot relented and the title was changed for most territories although some countries still retain the original title.'' ( IMDB ).

Advance Australian advertising poster promoting Flammable Children before the late title change to Swinging Safari happened.There ia a Flammable Children trailer from West End Films with foreign subtitles available to view on youtube 

My previous February 2018 comment on this thread regarding Three Billboards Ourside Ebbing, Missouri is as follows -. ''What can I say about Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri. Wow springs to mind. The performances of Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson  and Sam Rockwell are great with Frances and Sam front runners to win Oscars this year. A brilliant film.''

• I didn't know that about Swinging Safari!
    The original titles makes alot of sense once you've seen the film!

Re 3 Billboards, do you recall your thoughts on the transformation of Rockwell's character?
  • I didn't know that about Swinging Safari!
    The original titles makes alot of sense once you've seen the film!

Re 3 Billboards, do you recall your thoughts on the transformation of Rockwell's character?
    I viewed this film about two and a half years ago and I believe I had thought at the time the transformation you refer to was a little out of kilter and the ending a little abrupt as well. On saying this though, they were only very minor in the overall scheme of things in an otherwise first rate film.

Talking of transformations one of my alltime favourite films is John Ford's classic western The Searchers. The one little problem from when I first viewed it up to today, is the instant transformation of John Wayne's Ethan character on the finding  of Natalie Wood's character at the very end of the film. Is this just me or does anyone else think the same? 
  • Yeah I know, I am very slow with watching all the movies :)
    Interesting that you thought the same as I did.

I haven't seen The Searchers, so I can't comment on that one...am sure someone will chime in.

Another aussie film ticked off the list
    Bullets for the Dead
    ...Zombies...I mean, urgh

• Another aussie film ticked off the list
    Bullets for the Dead
    ...Zombies...I mean, urgh
    In your quest to see as many Aussie films as you can you must be prepared to view the good, the bad and the ugly ones as well as the great ones.
  • Ok, so took a break from all the aussie tonight.

San Demetrio, London
    I must say not usually my thing and I didn't expect much but love the poster (obviously).
    What a wonderful film.
    Enjoyed this one very much.

In The Loop

Laughed my butt off!
    So much swearing.
    I love all the back room conversations and shenanigans.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Finished up with Brighton Rock
    Have bits and pieces of this a few times, but finally enjoyed it in one go.
    Wowee.  Wonderful film...Stunning performances.
    That ending!

Where the feck are the aussie posters?

• edited July 2020
    As we are back in lock down in Melbourne now, I have gone back to some sewing I had started moons ago.
    While doing that I chuck a film on in the background and depending on how good or bad it is I either get alot or very little done.
    Here are some I ticked off:

Lots of aussies ticked off but the pick of the lot below

The Infinite Man

Weird but good.  Stick with it.
    The first part of the film has you asking yourself WTF, but stick with it.
    A wonderful film about finding yourself and what makes you YOU.  Very clever!

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote

So weird, but what else do you expect with a Gilliam film.
    I adore Adam Driver, a clear new favourite for me.  After his performance in Marriage, I hunt out his films.

The Driver
    Thought I would give this a go as I love the "remake"
    Meh, I mean I see where the idea came from but these are the kinds of movies that drive me bonkers.
    O'Neal was good...there are better films in this genre out there so dont waste your time I reckon

The Long Good Friday

Wonderful...I was glued, I wanted to know.
    Worked it out a bit of ways through but still wonderful.
    So many faces (much younger than I know them) that I recognised.

A Fantastic Woman

Not a subject matter that would be comfortable for many I think.
    A wonderful study in how inhuman we can be to each other when we believe someone doesn't quite fit in.
    Wonderful film and I see why it won the oscar!

• HONDO said:

Wild Rose stars a hugely talented Jesse Buckley and Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool covers the final years in the life of actress Gloris Grahame.
    Checked out Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool on the weekend.  Very sad.  Bening was great as was Bell.

Then checked out Separate Tables.  Just a wonderful movie all round.  A different role for Deborah Kerr than I am used to seeing her in.  Not a bad word to say about this one.

Seven Psychopaths rounded out the weekend.  Pretty much what I expected.  I forgot how much fun Christopher Walken was in ANYTHING!

• On the back of Shawn's last haul, I watched Bear Island. Typical Maclean making guess who done it hard, and spins and twists right till the end.

• American Animals
    This was on the telly last night so I sat back and took it in.
    Fell in love with the poster when I first saw it so was intrigued.
    An interesting mix of documentary/dramatisation of the real events.
    I think it speaks volumes to the youth of today who have been told that they can have and do whatever they want.
    And many who seem to think you shouldn't have to work too hard for what you want.
    I am still at a loss to really explain WHY they did this other than for the "excitement" of it.

• The Drop with James Gandolfini and Tom Hardy
    Loved it.  A slow burn crime flick.  Highly recommend this one.  Hardy is a stand out.

• True Grit

Even though I am huge Coen Bros fan, I did not have very high hopes for this one.
    Westerns are one of my least favourite things to watch.
    To say I was pleasantly surprised is an understatement.
    The young Ms Steinfeld was superb!  What a crap film this could have been without such a wonderful performance.
    Dialogue was wonderful as to be expected.
    Highly recommend this one!
  • Watched Mank 2020 which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Excellent!  A fantastic performance by Gary Oldman.

And as a significant added bonus there were many scenes capturing 1930s posters B) ) (quick screenshot example below):

• Watched Mank 2020 which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Excellent!  A fantastic performance by Gary Oldman.

And as a significant added bonus there were many scenes capturing 1930s posters B) ) (quick screenshot example below):

Sounds likes a film to chase up. On Christmas day a very good friend of mine informed me that at a Sydney cinema The Ritz at Randwick he had viewed a 35mm print of the original 1941 Citizen Kane film. Then at another session at a later time viewed a screening of Mank. He said this was really the way to enjoy Manz better by seeing Citizen Kane beforehand. 

For those who are unaware what Mank is all about a brief synopsis is as follows.'' After 6 long years of waiting, a new David Fincher film is nearly upon us. Mank, the story of chaotic screenwriter Herman J. Mankiewicz and his battles with Orson Welles during the making of Citizen Kane, debuts in limited theaters and on Netflix this winter.''

A glimpse of the film’s first official poster

Seek out collider.com/mank-poster-david-fincher-netflix/ for more details.

• This looks like a great plan.
  • Sounds like just my kinda movie!
  • Got a bunch of dvds for christmas, and put on Calamity Jane...havent seen it in a while.   This makes 3 musicals for me...
  • Got a bunch of dvds for christmas, and put on Calamity Jane...havent seen it in a while.   This makes 3 musicals for me...
    I think 3 is the hard quota so be careful with anymore pressies 
    Musicals are that warm part of a freshly baked
    cookie... I’m such a softy for musicals. Sound of Music was on the other night and I had to watch the whole thing.

• Attended a cinema yesterday and viewed the new Australian film The Dry.   For covid times it had a highter than average attendance. So good it would't go admiss in seeing it a second time to pick up on a few details missed the first time around. Ves, you must add this one to your must see Australian films list to view at some time or another.
  • Good to hear.  Definately wanting to catch this one!
  • Ticked off a bunch of aussie films....

The Flip Side - was interesting...nothing to write home about

The BBQ - enjoyed this one alot more than I thought I would

Three Summers - was absolutely delightful!  Lots of great performances and a wonderful story...and easy sit back and watch.

Brother's Nest - Wonderful!  I unfortunately missed the start of the film, but the performances by the Jacobson brothers was just fantastic.  Not at a surprise in terms of where the story goes, but great to be reminded that Shane is much more than just Kenny...The pick of the films for me.

Boar - I only just started this one, and was put off pretty quickly.  It looks like a Razorback wanna be.  I don't think I was in the right frame of mind for this one, so turned it off.  I am going to try and revisit it this weekend.  I'll let you know.