Skip to content

Screening Venues ( inside and out ) Featured In Motion Pictures film Quiz

Comments

• HONDO said:
    Rex cinema one is driving me bonkers!  Is it Clockwork Orange in the image?
    Yes it is. You now know the decade of the Australian film image awaiting to be identified.

I can't find that image for any of the 70s films I am looking at!
  • I've scene that film but can't remember what it is. I'd say that the film was shot later and was just set around the time of A Clockwork Orange release.

Peter
  • I've scene that film but can't remember what it is. I'd say that the film was shot later and was just set around the time of A Clockwork Orange release.
    Oh you think?  Hmmm, I took Lawrence's clue to mean the film was from the same decade as Clockwork...
  • edited February 2021
    I've scene that film but can't remember what it is. I'd say that the film was shot later and was just set around the time of A Clockwork Orange release.
    Oh you think?  Hmmm, I took Lawrence's clue to mean the film was from the same decade as Clockwork...
    Yes Ves you interpreted my clue correctly. The film in question that you are seeking to gain an answer for was released in Australia during  the 1970s decade, but later on in the year after A Clockwork Orange was released.

A final clue is that both A Clockwork Orange and the unidentified film were released in Australia by the same distributor.  Nice product placement by them, which would have been very noticible to anyone viewing the movie at the time. 
  • edited February 2021
    HONDO said:
    I've scene that film but can't remember what it is. I'd say that the film was shot later and was just set around the time of A Clockwork Orange release.
    Yes Ves you interpreted my clue correctly. The film in question that you are seeking to gain an answer for was released in Australia during  the 1970s decade, but later on in the year after A Clockwork Orange was released.

A final clue is that both A Clockwork Orange and the unidentified film were released in Australia by the same distributor.  Nice product placement by them, which would have been very noticible to anyone viewing the movie at the time. 
    A word substitution has been just completed by me of an incorrectly used word. The above is now exactly  worded in the form that I had intended it to be. I have also amended the original post as well.
  • edited February 2021
    Money Movers?
    A little earlier than this film.

You have posters of this title in your collection.
  • HONDO said:
    Money Movers?

That doesn't really narrow it down :)

A complete guess then...Alvin Purple?
  • HONDO said:
    Money Movers?

That doesn't really narrow it down :)

A complete guess then...Alvin Purple?
    It isn't Alvin Purple from 1973. 

One of many film posters advertised inside the theatre that hang on the wall in the unidentified film, and the only one though I could recognise on a You Tube screening run through. Stork is from the same Australian film distributor of A Clockwork Orange and the film we are trying to identify. 

Final clues are although this film answer is proving to be puzzling it isn't the only thing that was a puzzle initially. Finally the cinema plays a very important part in the plot of the film.

• I mentioned that I had given my final clues for the previously posted unidentified Rex Cinema image, but I coulldn't resist the new image following below. A major plot development in the film is happening here as an odd couple have just entered the cinema and the door is closing behind them. 

• End Play...for some reason I thought is was film earlier than this one!
    That's what got me stuck...
  • HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

A famous actor appears in the above scene walking down the cinema aisle.

Further clues are that appearing on the screen is a Japanese film. There were two directors credited in the making of this movie. An interesting plot change had to be made before the film could start production.

Across The Pacific
  • End Play...for some reason I thought is was film earlier than this one!
    That's what got me stuck...
    Correct and the main thing is you got the answer worked out in the end. End Play was released in 1976.

Main poster image is from what occured inside the Rex Cinema.

• HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

A famous actor appears in the above scene walking down the cinema aisle.

Further clues are that appearing on the screen is a Japanese film. There were two directors credited in the making of this movie. An interesting plot change had to be made before the film could start production.

Across The Pacific
    Correct with Across The Pacicic from 1942. Humphrey Bogart in the above image is seen inside a Japanese cinema in Panama.Due to the arrack on Pearl Harbor last minute changes to the film's scteenplay had to me made. The original Pearl Harbor setting had to be altered to the Panama Canal.

•   

All films to be identified are from the U.S.A. They were originally released in either the 1960s or 1970s.
  • The first is Alex in Wonderland (1970)
  • edited February 2021

jayn_j said:
    The first is Alex in Wonderland (1970)
       It certainly is. 

• That last one.  Both films shown were released in 1941.  I can't find an image, but I know there was a tmovie theater scene in Summer of 42 (1971).  Is that it?

• jayn_j said:
    That last one.  Both films shown were released in 1941.  I can't find an image, but I know there was a tmovie theater scene in Summer of 42 (1971).  Is that it?
    Yes it is and well done.

• Just now leaves the above image to identify.

A second image from the same film has two clues to help solve the answer.
  • Is that Polly Bergen and is the movie Cape Fear? It seems around the right time.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• Bruce said:
    Is that Polly Bergen and is the movie Cape Fear? It seems around the right time.
    Excellent thinking but only partly correct. The actress in both images is certainly Polly Bergen, but unfortunately the film isn't Cape Fear. Shouldn't present too much of a problem now in working out the film title.

• Good work Ves. Yes both images are from The Caretakers from 1963. A United Artits film promoting another United Artist film in West Side Story, but what about the Pepsi placement. ''Joan Crawford, then on the Pepsi-Cola board of directors, demanded that product placement shots be included in all her films of this era. Look for it here prominently advertised on the sides of dispensing carts at a mental hospital picnic.'' ( IMDB trivia ).

( and again inside the cinema )

• Never would have got it if Bruce did flag the actress, therefore I can't take credit :)
  •                                                                               74
     75 76

Three 1940's crime / film noir images to solve. One very well known film, and probably two lesser known titles that starred actors that are still well remembered for their work in this genre. These two actors appear in the above top two images.

• 74 clue is music.

75 clue is don't let the film poster in the background sidetrack you.This poster is some years earlier than the year when the film appearing in the image to be solved was released. 

76 clue is the Drive-in theatre was screening a war film that hadn't yet been released in the U.S.A.. 

• 74.  Nocturne

For 75 is that Victor Mature?

• 74.  Nocturne
    # 74 is indeed Nocturne ( 1946 ). That is George Raft sighted on the left hand side of the image.

For 75 is that Victor Mature?

Unfortunately that isn't Victor Mature appearing in the # 75 image.

The actor's name that we are after here is for a second-tier star of the 1940s and 1950s. 

• A clue for # 76 is that an escape manoeuvre just took place