Skip to content

War Movies Quiz

Comments

• Film society?  I have always wondered how that works?  Getting permission to screen?

• Film society?  I have always wondered how that works?  Getting permission to screen?

'A film society is a membership-based club where people can watch screenings of films which would otherwise not be shown in mainstream cinemas.' ( From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).

No admittance is allowed to charged at the door. Season membership has to be canvassed, which isn't an easy task. The money collected covers the hire of 16mm films from major and minor distributors. To keep the running of the society afloat a good deal of product screened was supplied free of charge from the then National Library Of Australia, who supplied 16mm films to film societies.   

Film societies were low on the totem pole though with the major 16mm silm distributors. If a film was found to have been double booked and the other organisation turned out to be a RSL club or like, guess who ended up receiving the film and who received a last minute, often inferior substitute film? 

We screened silent films, such as The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari. Battleship Potemkin and The Big Parade and classic sound comedies included I'm No Angel and Never Give A Sucker An Even Break and numerous Laurel and Hady sound shorts such as Tit For Tat and silent Buster Keaton shorts. There were many foreign language films screened including Seven Samurai,The World Of Apu and The Blue Angel. Titles from MGM that had once been television prints, completre with short black bars placed to indicate where commercials were to have been inserted. There were hundreds and hundreds to chose from going right back to the early days of sound. A good deal of the main films we screened though were modern films of the day that were neglected titles that had not been screened at the local cinema, or were never likely to have been due to little box office appeal. Of course to be a film society a certain amount of paperwork was required to be filled out, and you then had to be approved to qualify.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Fondly remembered films than I selected and were screened include a very short 5 minute film from The National Film Board Of Canada titled Matrioska and a hilarious 21 minute comey short featuring W.C. Fields titled The Destist.  .

( 1970 )  ( 1932 )

Some of the silent films we screened were supplied to us without a music track. My friend the projectionist went to great effort to select  appropriate music to accompany the films. Sometimes this worked, in the case of The Cabinet Of Dr, Caligari  brilliantly, but occassionly very badly ( sleep inducing ) with  Battleship Potemkin. I have since seen a Battleship Potemkin 35mm print with an original music written for the film  and some added sound effects on the film's soundtrack, and wow what a different  film experience was delivered.

I probably need to finish up, but seeing this is a War movies thread I thought it would be approprate to end with mentioning more about a war film listed earlier. This film was The Big Parade ( 1925 ), The print we received was the 1930 re-release version, with music and synchronized sound errects added. A big film production from MGM in its day which was interesting viewing.

• Fascinating!  Thanks for sharing.
    Have often thought a film society or club would be a great thing to kick off, but I am too lazy!

• ON THE MOVE.

The Musical Film Quiz appears to be currently stalled, but hopefully some answers will be forthcoming with this popular quiz revival?

319 320 321

Now back to war business with three more images for all to have a think about, and hopefully answers will be forthcoming..

• 321 For whom the Bell Tolls (1943)

• Matt said:
    321 For whom the Bell Tolls (1943)
    Well done.

The non answering of the remaining two unanswered film titles isn't turning out as I had expected. They apparently appear to be more difficult to answer that I had envisaged they would be. 

I will leave it a little longer before I give out some clues.
  • 320.  Rats of Tobruk
  • 320.  Rats of Tobruk
    Correct.

( Chris )

The Rats Of Tobruk is an Australian film released here in 1944.

Released in the U.S.A. in 1951 with the alternative title of The Fighting Rats Of Tobruk. This version was abridged, and was cut to 68 minutes only when screened there by a very minor independent film distributor. The original Australian running time was 95 minutes, and 27 minutes remained on the cutting roon floor. 

• 319. The Sea Shall Not Have Them (1955)

• Matt said:
    319. The Sea Shall Not Have Them (1955)

Good work.

The Sea Shall Not Have Them ( U.K. 1954 / U.S.A. 1955 ).
  • edited February 2021

322 323

Film images of films produced by three different countries that had a major participation in World War 11.
  • 323.  Downfall?  She looks very familiar!
  • 323.  Downfall?  She looks very familiar!
    Yes it certailly is Downfall ( 2004 ).

Interestingly the female German sioldier in the helmet image is instantly recognisable to me as being from Downfall. Excellent film with a brilliant portrayal of Adolph Hitler by the late Bruno Ganz who died in 2019.

• 322: Edge of Darkness (1943)
  • Matt said:
    322: Edge of Darkness (1943)
     Correct. One of a number of movies released abound this period of time dealing with the Norwegian resistance to German occupation during World War 11,

• HONDO said:

A film clue here is that this one is a rare War film genre example from the British producing company.

• Final clue for #324 is not a ghoul in sight.

A couple more images from World War11films..

• Thanks for the clue Lawrence, I needed it.
    #324  The Steel Bayonet (1957)
  • Matt said:
    Thanks for the clue Lawrence, I needed it.
    #324  The Steel Bayonet (1957)
    Correct and pleased my clues helped. For others that may be interested they referred to Hammer Films having made the film.

• I believe 326 is from The Great Escape (1963)
  • jayn_j said:
    I believe 326 is from The Great Escape (1963)
    Yes you are correct. 

Plus let's not forget this yet unanswered image.

Clue for this one is biblical.

• Wow Lawrence, you sure do find some obscure stuff :)

• jayn_j said:
    Wow Lawrence, you sure do find some obscure stuff :)
     I do my best. Hopefully the following clues may help. 

327 clue. Based on a true incident that took place during World War 11.

328 clue. A major hollywood star appears in this scene.

325 clue. Biblical.  ( A repeat of this earlier clue ).
  • #325  Between Heaven and Hell (1956)

Between Heaven and Hell Blu-ray - Robert Wagner
  • Matt said:
    #325  Between Heaven and Hell (1956)

Between Heaven and Hell Blu-ray - Robert Wagner
    Correct. A major studio film in it's the time but perhap not as well known these days.

• #328   American Guerrilla in the Philippines (released in other English-speaking countries as "I Shall Return") 1950

w353 AMERICAN GUERRILLA IN THE PHILIPPINES Australian daybill movie poster 50

• edited March 2021
    Matt said:
    #328   American Guerrilla in the Philippines (released in other English-speaking countries as "I Shall Return") 1950
      Correct and well worked out.

• # 327. This film includes a shocking true incident that took place towards the end of World War 11.
  • 327. Massacre  in Rome.  Web search, andnever saw it.  Looks interesting, but likely too violent for my tastes