Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Jamie Mendez Restoration and Conservation

Comments

• MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,081 admin

Dario's turnaround time has never exceeded 4 weeks for me and as of the 1st of June he charges in Canadian dollars.

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,230 admin
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,040 admin
    Ahhhh...good ole Benny Hill...now there's a blast from the past...he was a comic genius. \m/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited May 2015
    Matt said:

Dario's turnaround time has never exceeded 4 weeks for me and as of the 1st of June he charges in Canadian dollars.

This is a smart move Mr. Dario!

Chris
  • HumphreyBogartHumphreyBogart Member Posts: 924 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    CSM said:
    Matt said:

This is a smart move Mr. Dario!

Smart move alright. He will be getting more business he's way now!
    Reg
    It does depend on if the prices will increase to compensate of course
    Chris
  • crowzillacrowzilla Member Posts: 4 ✭ Mexican Lobby Carder
    edited May 2015
    Rich said:
    ...after the poster was on linen, she was asked to replicate authentic Dracula information to the poster and she declined and added false information...

That is only half right Rich.
    The S2 was missing the bottom right corner information that would have immediately identified the piece as a reproduction, and she was asked to replicate the information from the Dracula 1-sheet that Heritage had sold (which was the wrong litho number for that style), which she did do.
    She did not purposefully add false information, she added what she was told to add - which happened to be false.
    Post edited by David on
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    So I sent a message to Jaime today to see his sense of when it will be finished. I said I was in no rush and that quality was my priority. Lets see how it goes
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,081 admin

Keep us informed ( as we know you will) .

I'm interested in your analysis of his workmanship. 

• MirosaeMirosae Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Sven said:
    How long do you typically wait for your poster to be backed? I'm approaching week 8 & and hate to bug as it might invoke rush work and not be a top quality finish 
    Hope he responds. I have been unlucky with restorers in the past (not Jaime). Personally I don't mind waiting 8+, as you say quality is key. But I am with you on this one. I do mind when they do not say a word about it or respond to emails or calls. Looking forward to seeing your restored poster!!!!!
    Rosa -
    Love some paper
  • PaulPaul Member, Quad Master Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    I think I've said this before, twice I tried to contact Jamie about work, and I'm still waiting to get a reply, two years later.....I don't think he's going to get back to me [-(
    It's more than a Hobby...
    Two years? You've the patience of Job.
    David
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

I've used Jaime on several occasions, but not for many years now. 

I don't recall turn around time being an issue, but whenever I did send a question regarding how things were going, I always received a prompt reply.

Does he still do the backing for Heritage?

If so, considering they have their signature auction coming up, I am guessing he is busy with work for them...

Hope you hear back soon and will be looking forward to seeing what you have!

Yes Vesna , he still does backing for heritage so he would be in peak for the upcoming auction. He normally is quite prompt in replying to emails. I will give it a week and call. I don't like to pester , but just want to know where it is at and how much longer. Putting aside the time and quality factors, open and prompt communication is key for a good service. Yes will share pictures of the final products!
    edited May 2015
    On the first page of their website there are these bullet pointed promises:

• High quality work backed by decades of combined experience.
    • Solutions to complex work that others are unwilling to try.
    • Quick turnarounds at reasonable prices.
    • Excellent service includes our customer guarantee.
    They may want to review the last two statements...
    David
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,040 admin
    Why should any restoration company provide sub-par work if you contact them and ask when they will finish your poster? If you worry they will provide less than their highest quality possible because you ask them to finish your job in the estimated time frame they set, they may not be a good company to go with. I can't speak for any co. other an Poster Conservation, but their time frame & quality was good.
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Hi Sven,

For some reason this popped into my head today.

How did you go?  Any luck?  All good?

• JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Sven, I would also be interested to hear if he has contacted you and completed the work. He has not responded to my emails about other work.
    John

edited June 2015
    Hi Ves John, i sent a couple of emails on the week commencing 25th May and got a response a few days later. I told him i just wanted a target date, was not fussed if it was another month or so... He said he was very very busy...said it would be ready on the Friday and be in touch (which was the 29th May)..its been quiet since.
    Sven said:
    Hi Ves John, i sent a couple of emails on the week commencing 25th May and got a response a few days later. I told him i just wanted a target date, was not fussed if it was another month or so... He said he was very very busy...said it would be ready on the Friday and be in touch (which was the 29th May)..its been quiet since.
    Must be all that Heritage work
    Chris
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    CSM said:
    Sven said:
    He still should be able to respond to emails. He has had posters of mine for a very long time. I doubt anyone could have been more patient with him. Last I heard was that they would be ready on 19th May - no word since then.
    John

John said:
    CSM said:
    Sven said:
    He still should be able to respond to emails. He has had posters of mine for a very long time. I doubt anyone could have been more patient with him. Last I heard was that they would be ready on 19th May - no word since then.
    I agree completely John.  It's just that it certainly seems his biggest client takes precedent over all others
    Chris
    CSM said:
    I agree completely John.  It's just that it certainly seems his biggest client takes precedent over all others

I don't mind if their biggest client takes precedent (which we assume is Heritage Auctions), the reality is they probably pay the bills, so sure look after the big guys. HOWEVER there should be level of service afforded all other clients that is acceptable, failure to keep in contact with clients, or failure to meet deadlines no matter how small the client is a recipe for ultimate failure as a business. 

That said "Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me."

John said:
    He still should be able to respond to emails. He has had posters of mine for a very long time. 
    I absolutely agree. How long has he had your posters? 

Paul says he's been waiting to hear back for two years, Sven is now up to 12 weeks with failure to respond/meet agreed deadlines now for the past 3 weeks
    David
    I don't think Jaime has had Paul's posters for two years (I could have misinterpreted) - I think he was saying two years without a reply to an inquiry about potential work...
    Chris
    edited June 2015
    Yes that's how I read it, although if you are expecting a response two years later you may have gone past the 'hope to hear back' stage.
    David
    Paul likes to give the benefit of the doubt ;)
    Chris

Hmmm...that is a shame.

Have you used him before Sven?  How was it all last time if so?

I know that when I had things to send in the past, I would avoid Signature auction time.

Hopefully you hear something soon.

edited June 2015
    Heritage's Signature Auctions are about 12-16 weeks apart, if Mendez is going to take 12 weeks plus (if you are lucky) then you are always going to run into a Signature auction workload somewhere.

While past experiences seems to rate him he has obviously dropped the ball considerably in the last few years for Joe Average collector and by the looks of his customer service contact (lack of) he could careless because [a] he has your poster and [b] he is living comfortably off the work he is getting from the 'big guys'.

Really, would you find this acceptable behaviour from another business? Surely the the best advice is to simply avoid sending pieces to Jamie Mendez Restoration?

For the volume of visitors this site now gets and for all the search engines that spider our forum, I'll say it again and bold type:

Do NOT send your posters to Jamie Mendez Restoration.
    David
    Have you used or seen his work?
    No I have not used him but certainly I have seen his work and it is excellent but this is not about his work, people are complaining about his lack of contact, follow up and speed in [a] responding to emails etc and [b] turning around work in a reasonable time.

It's his own website that states (among other things) 
    • "Quick turnarounds..."
    • "Excellent service..."
    David