Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Jamie Mendez Restoration and Conservation

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

No arguments from me on a need to be better (much better) with communicating with his customers, hence my question to Sven on whether he has used him previously and what he found that aspect of his business to be like during those transactions.

I can only go on my own experiences with him, and like I said, in regards to his customer service to me, I've not had an issue, but again, I have not used him for many years now, so I don't know if this is a general shift in his business practice these past few years.

I ask the question regarding his work, because it is quite easy to say DON'T USE XYZ...whomever that might be.  But I think in this instance, the quality of the work certainly needs to be taken into consideration.

If I have a poster worth either huge monetary value or sentimental value, I want to know that whomever I send it to will do the best job possible.  Sure I can send it to someone who promptly responds to every email and sends it back within a couple of weeks of getting it, but too bad I got a crappy restored poster back. If something is that precious and important to me, who I send it to matters...if I don't really give a crap, then yeah, I'll send it wherever...  It's not like I am looking to buy a nice cut of meat.  I walk into butcher A and he says, yeah I have it, but I need to cut it.  come back in an hour...I come back, no meat cut.  yeah sorry, got side tracked, come back in another hour...um no, think I'll go down the road to butcher B who has the same cut of meat.  You can certainly send your posters to another restorer with better communication skills, but will the work be as good?  I have no idea.

And I don't think this is unique to restoration.  I am sure there are other areas where this would also be true, though my coffee deprived brain cannot think of any right now.

It's the whole package...should people be questioning and voicing concerns about the lack of communication?  Certainly.  Is it acceptable not to have heard back after such a long period of time?  Certainly not.  Should you use him for your future restorations?  That is entirely up to you.  I just find it odd that you proclaim for everyone not to use someone you've never used, and have no experience with.  If you don't want to use him, by all means...there are restorers I have used I would never use again, but I would NEVER presume to tell everyone else not to use them.  If they ask, I give my honest opinion, the rest is up to you.

I know I sound like I am defending him, but really I am not.  I don't know what is going on, and I am sorry to hear that communication is lacking.  Would I use him again?  I dunno, depends on the quality of work the guys get back...I hope when the posters do finally get done and sent back, the work is as wonderful as I remember it being. 

• DavidDavid Member Posts: 10,230 admin
    I understand what you are saying, but you are also talking about historical transactions (which of course is all you can reference), so let me put it this way, ignore what they do; if the following was the recommendation for any type of repair business, would you use them?

"Yes, their work is absolutely fantastic, I've never heard a bad word said about their quality, definitely amazing results. However, be advised they have a couple of really big clients so often the small jobs get pushed down the queue, they will probably won't let you know if they do that either. Also, if you send them an email you may not get a response, I've heard some people have not heard back from them after two years. I also know where some have sent their personal property to them and never heard a word, even after chasing them up and when they eventually answered they then made promises they never kept and so the person still doesn't know when they will see their property returned"

If the above is an accurate representation of the conversations thus far and you were wondering about using these people, would you? 
    David
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Recommendation from whom?  Someone who has never used them and is only going off what other people have said? 

But let's take your example.  If their work is as brilliant as you say, I would get in touch myself.  Make my own judgement calls on my own interaction with them, and then go from there.  Would I use them?  I don't know...depends on what I feel after I speak with them.

Now if someone I know very well tells me that they've used them and yes their work is great but all this other stuff is a problem, I would probably think twice, and take on board their opinion on whether they themselves would use them again.

It all depends on what I am getting restored.  I want the BEST WORK I can get because it means a lot to me (either in monetary or sentimental terms). 

Now let me put it like this.

Oh yes, I've used ABC, they are great at communicating, and they have always done the work in the time they said they would.  Compared to the work of others I've seen, it's not as good, it's ok, but not great...but their customer service is second to none.

Now XYZ is lacking in the customer service department...I've never seen better work, truly fantastic work, but it can take a while to get it back, and sometimes they are a bit slow in returning my emails.  But when I get the work back, it's second to none.

I've heard that 123 does great work, never used them myself mind you, but I have heard the work is great.  They are apparently a bit slow in responding, mind you, only what I've heard.

Which would you use?

edited June 2015

Recommendation from whom?  Someone who has never used them and is only going off what other people have said? 

That's how word of mouth works

Oh yes, I've used ABC, they are great at communicating, and they have always done the work in the time they said they would.  Compared to the work of others I've seen, it's not as good, it's ok, but not great...but their customer service is second to none.

I wouldn't use someone who does just OK work either. 

If people choose to 'settle' then that's up to them, but we can't go round saying OMG they do amazing work without revealing all the other (consistent) anecdotes. I don't worry about the odd problem, that's the reality of small business, but these are not 'one offs'.

The things is, for me and in good conscious, I would not put my name to a recommendation without stating all the known issues/problems people have.

David

How can I recommend (or not) someone I've never dealt with...sure I can say I've heard XYZ...but that's just hearsay.

I would not put my name to a good or bad recommendation for someone I have never used.  That is all I am saying.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Part of this comes back to the artistry/skill argument I have made elsewhere.  Yes it's crappy customer service and certainly the arguments are valid that it is a very poor business model etc...but in certain circumstances - as Ves alludes to - you need to take the bad to get the good.  Sometimes it is worth dealing with a certain level of crap to get the results you want in the end. 

And yes people should really only make blanket recommendations on a service or product if they actually have first hand experience...except in the case of Posterfix of course! ;)
    Chris
    I disagree, if the word of a fellow collector (in this case) is not good enough even if it is second hand then when is it? I simply hate to see people get a bad deal and what is being suggested is if you are a small collector then you should suck it up and take the poor service on offer (remember they promote themselves as a business that provides a quick turnaround and excellent service), basically we should not complain nor should we support the collector in general because it is art and therefore it is OK to be treated in such a poor way?

Ves, I get where you are coming from but your recommendation is now years old and would you still give it given the more recent poor report cards?

David
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    edited June 2015
    Hi all a bit of an update from me and also to answer Ves' question He contacted me this morning and its ready to go. I have to say the results look amazing but let me get it in the flesh and i will share with you all the before and after pictures. I have used Jaime for 4 years now and overall have been very happy with the results and quality of the work. Unfortunately i have had two occasions where i was not happy; over spray on border artwork and copywrite symbol airbrushed over. This happened a year or two ago. They do the right thing and fix for free and pay for shipping, but it is pain to go through this and anticlimactic. I am pretty sure turn around time has generally been the same for me over the past 4 years 6 to 8 weeks this time a little longer. Time has not been an issue for me and he normally promptly replies. Lately the issue has been lack of communication and small request forgotten ( not deal breakers) But the way he has my poster looking i forgive! And he's a gentleman to deal with, if you get a hold of him!!
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 5,081 admin
    Thanks for the update Sven. :)

David said:
    I disagree, if the word of a fellow collector (in this case) is not good enough even if it is second hand then when is it? I simply hate to see people get a bad deal and what is being suggested is if you are a small collector then you should suck it up and take the poor service on offer (remember they promote themselves as a business that provides a quick turnaround and excellent service), basically we should not complain nor should we support the collector in general because it is art and therefore it is OK to be treated in such a poor way?

David,

On this you and I (me thinks) will never agree...you think it's ok to comment on people you've never dealt with, I don't.  Neither of us right, neither is wrong...

The word of a fellow collector is always good, when they know of what they speak...not what they've heard or read about.  Your declaration not to use him would be more meaningful if YOU had actually used him. 

I didn't read anything from anyone in this thread saying they got a bad deal.  I read a lot of people being concerned they haven't heard back, which I've already said (on several occasions) is inexcusable.  I also never said that anyone should suck it up, nor did I suggest they shouldn't complain.  If anyone has a bad experience in the hobby they should definitely feel free to post their concerns on this or any other forum. 

I would think other collectors who have dealt with him offering up their experiences (good or bad) was being supportive of collectors.

However, if you've never used the person nor had any first hand experience with them (good or bad) what are your comments or recommendations worth really?  Your opinion on Jamie means little to me because you've never used him.  Your opinion on the guy in Sydney (whose name eludes me right now) would mean a great deal considering you have used him.  Sven and John's opinion on Jamie now would mean a great deal considering they've dealt with him recently.  Sven's in particular because he's dealt with him over a period of time, so I am interested to know how he feels his work and service have held up...hence my questions have been directed to him.

David said:

Ves, I get where you are coming from but your recommendation is now years old and would you still give it given the more recent poor report cards?

I haven't bought from Phil or John H in the US for years...does that make my experiences with them in the past less valid?  My experiences are just that, MINE.  I know of what I speak when I recommend, or don't, someone when asked.  I can only and would only give my recommendations (or not) on anyone based on MY experience...that is all I can do.   To do anything else would just be wrong. 

Sven,

Great news!  Hopefully you are thrilled with them when they arrive in person and I can't wait to see!

I would be interested in whether or not you would use him again based on this experience.  Same with John...if he ever hears back ...   ;)   (sorry couldn't resist)

edited June 2015

On this you and I (me thinks) will never agree...

Fair enough Ves, we agree to disagree on this. ;)

I understand that you are happy to recommend but if you know your experiences differ from the current ones then perhaps you might temper your recommendation with some recent hearsay from multiple users which of course is how word of mouth works.

I've never bought anything online from moviemem nor off this seller but I have been asked directly about both (by different people) and have happily provided a recommendation based on heresay from other collectors. In fact I daresay lots of people make decisions based on someone else passing on hearsay, surely if it is perfectly OK to pass on a good one then it must be OK to pass on a bad one.

I am passionate about the fact bad service should never be rewarded and 100% believe people as a group need to stand up to bad service as much as to bad quality, and the whether it is first hand or second hand it is the only way we can ensure that those who follow are able to then make an informed decision and perhaps it is the only way the group can bring about improvements from that business.

Sven said:
    Hi all a bit of an update from me and its ready to go
    Look forward to seeing the results, I love a good restoration!

:-c
    David

I never pass on hearsay...If I've not dealt with someone, I say that...I always point people to where they can get opinions that differ to mine and actually speak to people who've had those bad experiences.

I learned a long time ago, a lot is said in the hobby, esp. where dealers, and in some cases restorers (and I don't mean in the case of posting in this thread, just in general) are concerned, which is fuelled and driven by nothing more than the need to make the other guy look bad.  I've heard all manner of things about so many people, but I don't propagate the information, because really, I have no idea...I leave that to the people who are apparently in the know.

On everything else in your post...we pretty much agree!  It's a miracle!  Your wife must rip her hair out at times!

#:-S

It's a miracle!  Your wife must rip her hair out at times!

That's not the only thing she rips me...
    David
  • JohnJohn Member, Dealer Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Sven said:
    Hi all a bit of an update from me and also to answer Ves' question He contacted me this morning and its ready to go. I have to say the results look amazing but let me get it in the flesh and i will share with you all the before and after pictures. I have used Jaime for 4 years now and overall have been very happy with the results and quality of the work. Unfortunately i have had two occasions where i was not happy; over spray on border artwork and copywrite symbol airbrushed over. This happened a year or two ago. They do the right thing and fix for free and pay for shipping, but it is pain to go through this and anticlimactic. I am pretty sure turn around time has generally been the same for me over the past 4 years 6 to 8 weeks this time a little longer. Time has not been an issue for me and he normally promptly replies. Lately the issue has been lack of communication and small request forgotten ( not deal breakers) But the way he has my poster looking i forgive! And he's a gentleman to deal with, if you get a hold of him!!
    i am interstate at the moment and just had a look at the recent comments. I had an email from Jaime today and it looks like the posters will go out tomorrow so that is good.
    John

John said:
    Sven said:
    i am interstate at the moment and just had a look at the recent comments. I had an email from Jaime today and it looks like the posters will go out tomorrow so that is good.
    Great to hear John. Would love to hear your opinion on the workmanship once you get them.

Sven,

Great news!  Hopefully you are thrilled with them when they arrive in person and I can't wait to see!

I would be interested in whether or not you would use him again based on this experience.  Same with John...if he ever hears back ...   ;)   (sorry couldn't resist)

I would say I would use Jaime in the future based on this experience...I do like his work and he's a nice fella..I'm also a collector and love the thrill of the chase :P

It's also been great to hear David and Matt's feedback (and see the results) on Dario and Paul's feedback on Studio C, as it opens up the options

edited June 2015

Arrived yesterday and am very pleased with the results. It has a natural feel to it which I love. Ypu can use the hyperlink which allows zoom in.

Before

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QlXlnukMP5cmFzTlB6RWZCbjA&authuser=0

After

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2QlXlnukMP5SmFmNEIxeXJfblk&authuser=0

Sensational, really like the, as you say, 'natural feel/look' it has.

Now frame that bitch!
    David
    Plenty of Wow factor there! =D>
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,040 admin
    Great restoration Sven! I'd be happy with those results. And that's no typical re-release, it's a fantastic design! As a Stewart fan myself, great piece! \:D/
    Thanks guys. I reackon you're on the money david, frame it! True Mark, more an exception than a rule with the artwork being nice for re-release..heres to jimmy! Now to find a spot to frame

That looks great!  Glad it all worked out in the end!

edited November 2017

So I dipped the other toe in as well, and it seems these are ready to come back too.

I need all of you guys to pray to the poster gods for me that they arrive safe and sound.

Watch this space....hopefully with some nice ones.

Full update on experience and work once they are in hand.

I'm keen to try Mario too but after other experiences I dunno if I can go there.  His work looks great also.

Anyone used him recently?

Oh poster gods, please oh please oh please oh please look after my package in its travels.

May it land safely and hold some loverly things!

So I dipped the other toe in as well, and it seems these are ready to come back too.

I need all of you guys to pray to the poster gods for me that they arrive safe and sound.

Watch this space....hopefully with some nice ones.

Full update on experience and work once they are in hand.

I'm keen to try Mario too but after other experiences I dunno if I can go there.  His work looks great also.

Anyone used him recently?

Oh poster gods, please oh please oh please oh please look after my package in its travels.

May it land safely and hold some loverly things!

All will be ok Ves. Its been a while since i have used Jamie (or had anything restored by anyone) 

Will be keen to hear ypur feedback.

How was email response times and turnaround times? 

Yeah it has been years for me...since before my eldest who is 7 was born.  Probably going on 10 years since I had anything done, hence I am keen to see what work is like in a few different places.

Once I have the posters in hand, I will let you guys know how it all went.

They have arrived safe and sound after many days of watching the friggen tracking page online!

David might be interested in a couple seeing as how they came from him by way of gift or purchase.  The Real Glory now looks glorious and Strawberry Blonde  puts a smile on my dial.

I'll post some before and after pics tonight once the girls go down, and let you all know how the whole thing went.

Something to keep my mind off my darn head cold!

Oh, excellent news Ves!

Ok, so got a bunch of stuff done that has been high on my priority list.
    From the time they reached him to the time I was told they were ready was about 6 weeks.
    I did say I wanted them done before Christmas rush of parcels, so not sure if 6 weeks is normal, or a bit longer because I said no hurry.

He was quick with replies to my initial emails requesting quotes and questions I had at the start.
    Then the only time I heard from him was when he needed a reference image for one of the long ones.
    Next communication was a bunch of pictures of my completed posters letting me know they were ready.

What's the same?
    I never got update emails before, so didn't expect any this time either...so no difference there for me, and no cause for concern.
    Turn around time...6 to 8 weeks for me in the past and now is about what I recall...so again this hasn't changed for me.
    Workmanship is still solid...like I remember.  There are a couple spots on a couple of posters that I think could be better, but I am still more than happy with them.

What's different?
    Pictures.  I never got pictures before...EVER.  So this was a nice surprise and allowed me to ask any questions of any posters before he sent them back

Now to the posters.
    Of the bunch I sent off, two I was sweating on as to whether they would turn to mush when he tried to restore them, and by a country mile they probably came out the best...if not equal best with a couple of the other long ones.

Thanks to David for NOT chucking out The Real Glory and sending it to me...I was thrilled to get it then, and love it even more now. The thing truly looks stunning in person.  It was so brittle, you could barely handle it!
    I secretly coveted his Strawberry Blonde Aussie One Sheet too when he posted it, so was wrapped when he decided to let it go, and I couldn't be happier with the way it came out.  This [email protected]#ker is going up next frame out.  I'm in love with it already.

One of No.1 wants is now looking spiffy and stunning, with just a good clean.  good luck prying out of my cold dead hands!

Little bit more challenging but it turned out alright! (David, I apologise in advance)

Thanks to my loverly gift giver!  So spunky now!  

Of very little interest to most people, but you know I love my long ones!
    SHE IS SO FRIGGEN AWESOME!

I think that's enough.
    Wow Ves, you've got to be happy with the result! Comforting that all went well with Jaime and his team.  I honestly don't know where to start on all this stunning paper!

That Red Shoes is yummy! Me want one! (David first) :)

Did you get these posted by Aust Post/USPS or go for a courier like Fedex?