Skip to content

The Adventures of Robin Hood Australian 3 Sheet

On another thread titled Robin Hood Daybill the daybill of this title is currently under discussion. The posted image here is of a rare Australian 3 sheet of The Adventures Of Robin Hood ( 1938 ). Sold by Heritage in the past as listed as being an original poster from the 1938 Australian release but is it? Before I comment does anyone agree or disagree that it is original release? Love to hear comments from anyone.

Comments

• The printer details appear to be victory publicity.

My sense is they were not around at the time the movie was released. Only because other posters i know of from the same printer were 1940s.
  • Victory Publicity were certainly printing posters at the time of Robin Hood's release. There is another thread that has them commencing printing in the mid 20s.

However, Lawrence has said before that Victory took over printing Warner Bros daybills in Australia from Hackett Offset Print & Marchant Print Sydney  around 1943. Lawrence, do you think that also applies to three sheets and other Warner Bros posters?

Incidentally, the price that was achieved for this poster is one of the highest recorded for an Australian movie poster.
  • Cheers john
  • The former owner is a top bloke too.
  • David said:
    The former owner is a top bloke too.
    Thats u!
  • Sven said:
    David said:
    The former owner is a top bloke too.
    Thats u!
    No, it wasn't me, I am just a top guy
  • David, what do you think? Is it original or a re release?
  • I never saw it John so wouldn't like to comment.
  • Over to you Lawrence!
  • John said:
    Over to you Lawrence!

I will shortly comment but just at present I am following up and gathering some more details originating from another thought of mine. It has become apparent to me today this new information once compiled will have a definite bearing  on my answer along with the already procured information I have collected to whether The Adventures Of Robin Hood Australian 3 sheet is an original release or a re-release poster.
  • John said:
    Victory Publicity were certainly printing posters at the time of Robin Hood's release. There is another thread that has them commencing printing in the mid 20s.

REPLY -Yes but were any film posters in the 1920s? Two examples only for film posters pre 1943 I have found are from the latter part of the 1930s.

However, Lawrence has said before that Victory took over printing Warner Bros daybills in Australia from Hackett Offset Print & Marchant Print Sydney  around 1943. Lawrence, do you think that also applies to three sheets and other Warner Bros posters?

REPLY -Yes.

Incidentally, the price that was achieved for this poster is one of the highest recorded for an Australian movie poster.

REPLY-Interesting.

• John said:

At auction not in Australia
  • Not sure what you mean. I think its one of the highest recorded prices for an Australian movie posters anywhere - US$15,535.00.
  • edited April 2016
    Thats true john  :)

Dave i think the highest recorded price for an aussie  movie poster sold in Australia is wizard of oz one sheet, sold at Bidll.  :)
  • The list I compiled is here ...
    Highest Prices for Australian Movie Posters

Let me know if I have omitted anything and I will update it.

• Looks good john!
  •                                                        Top image is the printer style credits used on posters starting from 1944 or 1945 only. Just above is the Australian trade advertisement with the plain WB logo appearing on it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          The following information that I am about to present are factual researched details on the Australian 3 sheet poster of The Adventures Of Robin Hood ( 1938 ) trying to establish if the poster in question was printed for the original 1938 Australian first release or from a later re-release which would most likely would have been for the circa 1949 Australian re-release. I have researched over the years thousands of Australian daybill, one sheet and 3 sheet poster images along with other material from which my following conclusions have derived from. 

1 ) The printer of the poster was Victory Publicity Pty Ltd and is credited on the bottom of the poster as being VP Lithographed & Printed By Victory Publicity Pty Ltd which in this form didn't happen until 1944 or 1945 when this logo was introduced. Prior to this the occasional times the name appeared on film posters I have located it was printed  on two 1930s posters as Victory Publicity Litho on one poster & Lithographed In Australia By Victory Publicity Sydney & Melbourne on the other one. After Victory Publicity took over the role of preferred printer from Marchant & Co. for Warner Bros. poster work in or around around 1943 and only for a short time their name was printed on Warner Bros. posters as Victory Publicity Pty. Ltd. Melb. until around 1944 or1945 when the VP Lithographed & Printed By Victory Publicity Pty Ltd credit came into being.

2 ) Between 1934 - 1937 from U.S. records the logo that appeared on film posters was just WB appearing in a shield shape. Then between 1937-1938 the wording Warner Bros. Pictures, Inc. was added across the centre of the WB logo. Keep in mind in overseas countries including Australia in would have taken a little longer to change the logos.From a The Film Weekly trade publication a advertisement which appeared in the June 21, 1938 issue an advertisement for The Adventures Of Robin Hood has the plain WB only logo on it and from a newspaper advertisement for the Warner Bros. title Gold Is Where You Find It following  at the end of 1938 the plain WB logo also appears in print thus backing up my thoughts Australia took a lot longer to change over to the new style of advertising of the WB logo.

3) The wording Warner Bros. Pictures Inc. Present which appeared on the top of Warner Bros. posters roughly around this time is missing from the 3 sheet.

To sum up -

The printer details on the 3 sheet were not used in that format until around 1944 or 1945. Image above.

The  WB logo on the 3 sheet is different than on the trade advertisement.

The missing Warner Bros. Pictures Inc. Present doesn't appear on the 3 sheet.

In my opinion only I believe the Australian 3 sheet was printed for the circa 1949 Australian re-release based on the printers style of identification used being spot on for the re-release at this time and in this form the style definitely wasn't used in 1938. The second and third facts in my mind only serve to support my opinion. 

• Interesting thoughts and opinion Lawrence, thanks for the research.

Personally, I'd like to see a variety of original Australian 3Sheet movie posters for a cross section of Warner Brother movies for both the 1938 year and the 1949 year (not re-release titles). 
  • So if the poster is indeed from 1949, what next? Is the unnamed buyer just out of luck? Of does the unnamed seller have any responsibility for making an error of this proportions.

Incidentally, I absolutely would have been fooled by this poster, UNLESS I had Lawrence to find this out.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• David said:
    Interesting thoughts and opinion Lawrence, thanks for the research.

Personally, I'd like to see a variety of original Australian 3Sheet movie posters for a cross section of Warner Brother movies for both the 1938 year and the 1949 year (not re-release titles). 

I agree with you David.
  • edited April 2016

I think you're barking up the wrong tree here.

Sea Hawk (WB 1940) 3sht was also printed by Victory. There is good reason to believe this is orig release because the tag line is referring back to Robin Hood in 1938.

Also WB used a plain shield logo between 1948 - 1952. See Silver River, Don Juan. It's a Great Feeling, Montana & Mara Maru.

Almost forgot - It's a Wonderful Life db made US$5500 at HA Sig Auction off $1-2K estimate.

(Asking Tim where Robin Hood came from could also save time)!

• This is an original Australian herald for Robin Hood. Check the Warner Bros logo lower rh corner...........

• and the front view of the Herald ....

• I like Hondo's angle with the Victory logo, but having been down this road before, I know there are almost no examples from the period to compare against, so definitely not conclusive in that area.

I only had a quick look, but the green ratings triangle does seem to match with other contemporary posters.

Lastly, the few re-release press sheets I have seen ('50s era) didn't offer 3 sheets as part of the advertising campaign.

• Mark said:

I think you're barking up the wrong tree here.

I am certainly not barking up the wrong tree. I will respond to your comments shortly along with previous comments from other members and please keep them coming as I am enjoying this discussion. Will post something that I believe will prove The Sea Hawk poster is from a re-release also .
  • I think the Herald does not provide any support to points two and three of Lawrence's theory.
  •    John said:
    I think the Herald does not provide any support to points two and three of Lawrence's theory.

By that you mean he's barking up the wrong tree?? (sorry, couldn't resist)!
  • John said:
    I think the Herald does not provide any support to points two and three of Lawrence's theory.

My main argument was item one. Two and three were only possibly supporting it but in my defence I may still be correct as The Film Weekly trade advertisement was dated June 21, 1938 and has the plain WB logo which appears on it to have been used up to the end of 1938 in Australia. Note the wording on the front of the herald " the first of our 1939 attractions''. By 1939 or very late 1938 the changeover of the logo most likely happened.
  • Well, I think he certainly has done some very good research but someone has paid a lot of money for that poster and we need to be very careful about suggesting that it is a reissue unless absolutely certain.

• Just checked an original Dodge City herald - same WB logo as Robin Hood - similar time frame.