Skip to content

Hondo's This And That

Comments

• Back To Bataan ( 1945 ).

The Back To Bataan ( 1945 ) working title of Invisible Army.
  • HONDO said:

Brazil ( 1944 ). A selection of Australian poster images with the Australian daybill the only poster crediting Roy Rogers name.
    Brazil paper is nice, Lawrence! 
  • HONDO said:

Back To Bataan ( 1945 ).

Couple questions Lawrence-
    Why would they advertise with one title, then change to another? 
    Also-why do movie title's change when it's released in a different country? And who creates new title & approves?

thanks!
  • HONDO said

Also-why do movie title's change when it's released in a different country? And who creates new title & approves?

thanks!

Question one answer is that they later thought of a better title.

Question two answer is for countless reasons. In some cases the change of titles for exported U.S.A.films happened almost worldwide but for British, Australian and other films imported into the U.S. this practice happened a lot. The reasons for this is the U.S. preferred more attention grabbing titles to help sell the films. An example is the British film  The Full Treatment ( 1960 ). This title wasn't apparently good enough for the U.S. so it was changed to the more sensational title of Stop Me Before I Kill! when released there. All sorts of factors, including sport and foreign name details and many others come into play regarding title changes and details in more depth I am happy to supply when I get my thoughts together.
  • Thanks Lawrence! Interesting stuff. 

sounds typical the US would prefer more "scintillating" titles. 

I wonder if they ever printed paper for films such as Back/Bataan as "Invisibie Army" and it survived?

• HONDO said:
    HONDO said

thanks!

Question one answer is that they later thought of a better title.

Question two answer is for countless reasons. In some cases the change of titles for exported U.S.A.films happened almost worldwide but for British, Australian and other films imported into the U.S. this practice happened a lot. The reasons for this is the U.S. preferred more attention grabbing titles to help sell the films. An example is the British film  The Full Treatment ( 1960 ). This title wasn't apparently good enough for the U.S. so it was changed to the more sensational title of Stop Me Before I Kill! when released there. All sorts of factors, including sport and foreign name details and many others come into play regarding title changes and details in more depth I am happy to supply when I get my thoughts together.

This is what I have come up with to answer your second  question Mark. 

SOME MORE OBVIOUS TITLE CHANGES - 

The Phantom Stockman ( 1953 ) (  Australian original title ), Cattle Station ( U.K. title ) & Return Of The Plainsman ( U.S.A. title )
    Albuquerque ( 1948 ) original U.S. title changed to Silver City for overseas markets.
    Aaron Slick From Punkin Crick ( 1952 ) original U.S. title changed to Marshmallow Moon for overseas markets
    The Longest Yard ( 1974 ) original U.S. title changed to The Mean Machine for overseas markets.
    Albert R.N. ( 1953 ) original U.K. title changed to Break To Freedom in the U.S.
    H.M.S. Defiant ( 1962 ) original U. K. title changed to Damn The Defiant! in the U.S.

SOME CENSORSHIP REQUIRED CHANGES -

Circus Of Horrors ( 1960 ) altered to Phantom Of The Circus in Australia.
    House Of Horrors ( 1946 )  altered to The Sinister Shadow in Australia.
    How To Stuff A Wild Bikini ( 1965 )  altered to How To Fill A Wild Bikini in Australia.
    Dillinger ( 1945 ) originally banned in Australia but passed for screening in 1955 as The Mobster. No mention of Dillinger allowed on the poster.

SOME TITLE CHANGES USING MORE SENSATIONAL OR EYE CATCHING TITLES -

Saturday Island ( 1952 ) original U.K. title  of this U.K. / U.S.A. co-production released in the U.S.A. as Island Of Desire. 
    The Admirable Chrichton ( 1957 )  original U.K. title. Released in the U.S. as Paradise Lagoon.
    Whiskey Galore ( 1949 ) original U.K. title. Released in the U.S. as Tight Little Island. 
    The Full Treatment ( 1960 ) original U.K.title. Released in the U.S. as Stop Me Before I Kill!
    Mr.Topaze ( 1961 ) original U.K. title. Released in the U.S. as I Like Money.
    A Town Like Alice ( 1956 ) original U.K. title. Released in the U.S. also as Rape Of Malaya.
    Eureka Stockade ( 1949 ) original U.K. title. Released in the U.S. as Massacre Hill.
    Sons Of Matthew ( 1949 ) original Australian title. Released in the U.S and around the world as The Rugged O'Riordans.
    Walk Into Paradise ( 1956 ) original Australian title. Released in the U.S.A, as Walk Into Hell.
    Lovers And Luggers ( 1938 ) original Australian title. Released In the U.S.A. as Vengeance Of The Deep.
    Summer Of the Seventeenth Doll ( 1959 ) original Australian title. Released in the U.S. as Season Of Passion.
    Dementia 13 ( 1963 ) original U.S. title. Released in the U.K. and Australia as The Haunted And The Hunted.
    A Hill In Korea ( 1956 ) original U.K.title. Released in the U.S. as Hell In Korea.

OTHER REASONS FOR TITLE CHANGES-

They Drive By Night ( 1940 ) original U.S. title. Due to another 1938 British film having the same name in the U.K.and Australia at least, the film was re-titled The Road To Frisco for overseas release in at least the U.K.and Australia.

The Children's Hour ( 1961 ) original U.S. title. The film was adapted from Lillian Hellman's controversial 1934 play. Considering the subject matter United Artists changed this confusing title to the more suited The Loudest Whisper when released overseas. 

Death Of A Scoundrel ( 1956 ) original U.S title. Released in Australia as Loves Of A Scoundrel with RKO probably wishing a more upbeat title would then increase audience attendances.

HARD TO FIGURE OUT EXACTLY WHY CHANGES-

Frontier Gal ( 1945 ) was the original title. Perhaps the word gal was  frowned upon at the time? If this was the reason why not a uniform title change for outside the U.S. then? The Lady Objects in Australia and The Bride Wasn't Willing in the U.K. were two different title changes in those countries.

• Thanks Lawrence. Interesting title changes to say the least. It's quite a statement on censorship when "racier" titles are always found in the US. And quite comical in many cases.

A Hill In Korea ( 1956 ) original U.K.title. Released in the U.S. as Hell In Korea

Eureka Stockade ( 1949 ) original U.K. title. Released in the U.S. as Massacre Hill

The Full Treatment ( 1960 ) original U.K.title. Released in the U.S. as Stop Me Before I Kill!

Cheers.

•      

Dragon Seed ( 1944 ). U.S.A., Australian and Canadian one sheets. Pick your favourite?         

• Go Canada! ??
  • Hmmmm...Hmmmmmm....Australian
  • Go Canada! ??
    :)

• Capitol Theatre Melbourne Victoria in 1932 when commissionaire's were around, and were important enough to warrant this advertisement.

• I never knew colonel klink was a commissionaire  =) 
  • edited September 2018

An Australian image of a newsagency window display promoting both the book and the launching of the film The Cruel Sea in Ipswich Queensland in 1953. There is also some promotion of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth 11 there as well, and it can be seen if you look hard enough.  

Late addition -  I am adding the daybill image.

• edited September 2018
    Great image Lawrence, I wouldn't mind one of those 4 Daybills or that rather fine looking banner. 
  • And a rare daybill that actually has signed artwork...
  • Thanks for sharing lawrence, much enjoyed and appreciated  :)
  • Never mind that, I want the Standard Fireworks poster... ;-)

• The Lustful Vicar ( 1970 ) Australian one sheet.

If you are interested in reading about this title you can check out my normally neglected 'All Things Censorship Related in Australia' thread to learn more.

Coming soon  some more  information on  The Exorcist & The Bridge On The River Kwai one sheets.

• The Fast Mail ( 1922 ) Australian lobby display image above that was recently displayed on another thread on the forum. The one sheet shown on the left of the display above would have looked like this.

The star of the film Charles Jones later changed his name to Buck Jones, and went on to become one of the greatest 'B' movie western stars of the 1920's up the 1940's. He died at the age of 50 in a fire in 1942.

• Now that's nice Lawrence, even the duelling steamers at the top look mighty impressive! 
  • HONDO said:

The Fast Mail ( 1922 ) Australian lobby display image above that was recently displayed on another thread on the forum. The one sheet shown on the left of the display above would have looked like this.

The star of the film Charles Jones later changed his name to Buck Jones, and went on to become one of the greatest 'B' movie western stars of the 1920's up the 1940's. He died at the age of 50 in a fire in 1942.

Man!
  • HONDO said:

The Lustful Vicar ( 1970 ) Australian one sheet.

If you are interested in reading about this title you can check out my normally neglected 'All Things Censorship Related in Australia' thread to learn more.

Coming soon  some more  information on  The Exorcist & The Bridge On The River Kwai one sheets.

Forgot about Kwai!  Looking forward to it!

• The Exorcist ( 1973 ) International version of the one sheet printed for use outside of the U.S.A.

The international one sheet used in New Zealand with their censorship snipe attached and the international one sheet that was displayed at the Wintergarden Theatre in Ipswich, Queensland Australian. with an added R certificate censorship snipe attached to it.

The Australian printed daybill poster with the R classification printed on it and the same daybill displayed at the Wintergarden Theatre in Ipswich with a R certificate snipe attached to the poster that already had  R classification printed on it.   

The Wintergarden Theatre Ipswich display with a strong promotion of the R classification rating on display

• edited September 2018

Part 1 - The original release daybills of The Bridge On The River Kwai ( 1957 ).

A                                                         B                                                              C                                             D

E

A ) Style one - original pre Oscars.

B ) Style one - Oscar added snipe.

C ) Style two - original alternative design pre Oscars

D ) Style two - original alternative design with added Oscar snipe.

E ) Style two - alternative design Oscar printed information.

Part 2. Original release 3 Sheets.

Original pre Oscars printed 3 sheet, and the same poster with an Oscars snipe attached.I would suggest this was the only 3 sheet printed for the first release.

The Oscar snipe and the printed on Oscar information.

Part 3 to come featuring one sheets.
  • Cool!  Always thought the yellow oscars daybills was a RR!

• Part 3 - original release one sheets.

A B

A ) As Matt suggested earlier on from the first release, but not the first one sheet printed. Both Oscar information printed on and not snipes attached..

The above printed on Oscar information that appeared in the form of a snipe, that was attached on each of the original daybill, one sheet and 3 sheet posters pictured above.

B ) An image I recently found  from a cinema display from the first release in Australia. This poster had to have been printed for the original screenings, with a snipe added later. It would be great to actually see a full colour image of this one sheet, with or without the added snipe.                                                                                                                                              
  • Oh nice!  I've never seen that one before.
    Here's hoping it turns up!