Skip to content

Hondo's This And That

Comments

• Very cool, Lawrence! Nice investigative work! Agree Ves, would love to see a color copy....or one come up for auction!  :)
  • HONDO said:

Previously announced as coming here on this thread, but the film that the image comes from will now be covered at a later time, on the 'Australia At War Poster' thread.

• The Alamo ( 1960 ). Just in case anyone hasn't picked up on this there are two first release daybills existing for The Alamo. They look the same but there are a few differences.

• The Japanese Bowl ( 1930 ). One of many shorts filmed by Warner Bros in early two-strip Technicolor. There looks like there are more than a few pretenders in the chorus. I have just discovered this image, and seeing it is such a glorious looking poster I though I would share it here.

• Great 1959  U.S.A. four film horror program screening promotion. 
  • Thanks Lawrence. Interesting title changes to say the least. It's quite a statement on censorship when "racier" titles are always found in the US. And quite comical in many cases.

A Hill In Korea ( 1956 ) original U.K.title. Released in the U.S. as Hell In Korea

Eureka Stockade ( 1949 ) original U.K. title. Released in the U.S. as Massacre Hill

The Full Treatment ( 1960 ) original U.K.title. Released in the U.S. as Stop Me Before I Kill!

Cheers.

The Treasure Of San Teresa ( 1959 ) original U.K. title and the more sensational U.S.A. title  used when released there. 
  •  1961 RR

1961 RR

1961 RR
     1961 RR

American International Pictures 4 films at the one screening programming idea to collect a few more dollars for the A.I.P. coffers in the U.S.A.
  • Another configuration of the Exorcist US One Sheet as used in New Zealand Lawrence.

• edited October 2018
    HONDO said:

The star of the film Charles Jones later changed his name to Buck Jones, and went on to become one of the greatest 'B' movie western stars of the 1920's up the 1940's. He died at the age of 50 in a fire in 1942.

On the subject of 'Buck', I was visiting a collector friend today and although he's not into posters (Blasphemy!!), he pulled out a couple of old Daybills he picked up at a garage sale in the late 70's. He recalls they were in a pile of daybills from the same era, that had all been laminated (sacrilege!) post a house fire to keep them in one piece. 

One of the two was this 'Buck Jones in Against All Odds'

Unrelated to buck, but he also had this beauty: Curly Top

• edited October 2018

All Quiet on The Western Front ( 1930 ) great Australian film promotion in Adelaide S.A.

Enterprising display of various 24 sheets viewable from the street and by train passengers travelling on arriving and departing trains at Newcastle railway station a short distance away from the display boards.

December 13, 1942 newspaper report. Swearwords were a no no in 1940's motion pictures.

May 27 1954 newspaper report.

Couldn't find an image for the London advertising display material mentioned for the film Phantom Of The Rue Morgue ( 1954 ), but the following images should cover the '' a girl surrounded by a forest of knives'' and ''a huge ape with the heroine in its arms'' quote.

Frankenstein odd combination of a band aid station and free sweets promotion. The mind boggles as to how many of the fantastic daybill of Frankenstein were used in the outdoor publicity that they mrntioned..

Love the above prom from 1932.

This  ''Step out with Universal'' logo was used in at least 1932 and 1933 print advertising. I haven't spotted a daybill with this logo appearing on it though from this period,. Universal daybills from this period are extremely hard to locate, so therefore I haven't seen more than a few. .

A Launceston Tasmania cinema advertisement for Random Harvest that appeared February 28, 1944. Free coloured photographs of Greer Garson. One wonders is any of those photographs survived until today?

Laughter In Paradise ( 1951 ). Early pre fame Audrey Hepburn, shown here with Guy Middleton. Just in case you haven't seen this nice rare U.K. card before.

Published in the  'News' newspaper Adelaide S.A. April 24 1929, "Tired Mother' actually had it easy with the 'noise and turmoil of city life and the noise of the World' compared to today's city life and noise.

Creature From The Black Lagoon ( 1954 ). The 3D poster material is harder to come by.

The film that was being screened at the Capitol.

The Capitol Theatre in Sydney in December 1929, which was screening 'On With The Show' when this photograph was taken at 10.48 a.m. Huge queues were forming outside waiting to get inside, even at such an early time. This magnificent picture palace had a seating capacity of 2773 and is still operating today as a live theatre. One thing that stood out was the massive space allocated to film poster material displays, which one can see in the image on at least two sides of the building.

The following seven images were taken by  photographer Samuel J. Hood and are part of The Sam Hood Collection held by the State Library Of New South Wales. They were taken on July 14,1945. The then current attraction playing was And Now Tomorrow. The large quantity of poster displays have various posters of And Now Tomorrow along with the next attraction Here Come The Waves. If you look carefully you will also see limited poster material displayed for the coming attractions The Thin Man Goes Home and also Lost In a Harem. The supporting film to the current attraction And Now Tomorrow was One Body Too Many, but no visible poster material can be seen. The posters looking like one sheets appear to be specially printed posters printed with less credits appearing on the posters. There isn't a daybill poster to be seen either.

Becky Sharp ( 1935 ). The first feature film produced in the three-strip Technicolor process warranted  two different colourful  Australian daybill versions produced for the film.

On Our Selection ( 1932 ). A 1940's re-release duotone Australian daybill and a late 1950's or early 1960's re-release daybill.

Has anyone seen any original 1932 first release or 1938 re-release On Our Selection daybill, one sheet or 3 sheet poster images?. I am aware of small paper items from both 1932 and also 1938 releases existing today in the form of lobby cards and heralds, but that seems that is all there is available. The following one sheet poster image from circa 1938, recently shown on another thread on the forum gives us a look at what a On Our Selection one sheet re-release poster from 1938 looks like. 

and will be appreciated.

• Great to see the Frankenstein daybill on display (along with a couple one sheets)!  As I asked regarding the Dracula lobby display and one sheet - do we think the one sheets are US imports with censor/rating snipes applied or Aussie printed posters?
  • Beautiful selection of 3 Sheets! Never seen a Black lagoon 3D snipe before, looks a little out of place, like many carelessly placed NZ ones.  
  • I never grow tired of looking at these displays.
    Pretty sure a Frankenstein 3 sheet is on the left of the frankenstein display photo?
  • On Our Selection long daybill …

• John said:
    On Our Selection long daybill …

Fantastic John. Do you agree that this poster is a 1938 re-release ?
  • CSM_2_Point_0 said:
    Great to see the Frankenstein daybill on display (along with a couple one sheets)!  As I asked regarding the Dracula lobby display and one sheet - do we think the one sheets are US imports with censor/rating snipes applied or Aussie printed posters?

I don't know the answer to the Frankenstein question, but as I have just posted on another thread, I firmly believe that the Dracula image showing above on the right is an Australian one sheet. My answer is based on two things. The first one being the background colourings are vastly different, with the U.S. version very dark and the other one very light in appearance. The second thing is that the credits that appear under the  Dracula title are completely different in their placement on the two posters. 

• U.S.A. Dracula 3 sheet image and a 3 sheet image displayed in an Australian cinema during the first release. As there is a difference in the credits details at the bottom of the poster I am led to believe that the 3 sheet displayed in Australia was Australian printed.
  • HONDO said:

U.S.A. Dracula 3 sheet image and a 3 sheet image displayed in an Australian cinema during the first release. As there is a difference in the credits details at the bottom of the poster I am led to believe that the 3 sheet displayed in Australia was Australian printed.
    I assume that is an image from the pressbook?  If so one cannot trust that resource as revealing the actually printed poster in totality.  
  • Agree, definitely appears that you Aussies created your own Dracula one sheets. Now that's something a little special! 
  • HONDO said:

U.S.A. Dracula 3 sheet image and a 3 sheet image displayed in an Australian cinema during the first release. As there is a difference in the credits details at the bottom of the poster I am led to believe that the 3 sheet displayed in Australia was Australian printed.
    I assume that is an image from the pressbook?  If so one cannot trust that resource as revealing the actually printed poster in totality.  
    The image is from the Hershenson pressbook collection stating is is from a U.S. 3 sheet. Bruce's thoughts perhaps would be appreciate ? When one looks at the two Dracula one sheet images which are almost the same and compare them to the 3 sheet images the similarity in bottom credit sections differences have me believing the 3 sheet is Australian printed. No proof but my gut feeling.
  • I know it is blurry but the bottom left corner (right in the pic) looks just like a Morgan Litho logo which would be consistent with US printing 

•  CSM_2_Point_0 said:
    I know it is blurry but the bottom left corner (right in the pic) looks just like a Morgan Litho logo which would be consistent with US printing 

From the Dracula U.S. one sheet the Morgan logo that appears on it. There also appears to be a similar one appearing  on the 3 sheet image displayed in Australia. A change of thinking now in that the 3 sheet was imported from the U.S.A. The one sheet though not 100% sure about,
  • HONDO said:
    HONDO said:

The image is from the Hershenson pressbook collection stating is is from a U.S. 3 sheet. Bruce's thoughts perhaps would be appreciate ? When one looks at the two Dracula one sheet images which are almost the same and compare them to the 3 sheet images the similarity in bottom credit sections differences have me believing the 3 sheet is Australian printed. No proof but my gut feeling.
    It is taken from the 1931 pressbook. Pressbook images were often created prior to the actual printed posters, so there could be some differences, but in this case I agree with Lawrence that this seems likely to be a U.S. poster.

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• edited October 2018
    HONDO said:

Australia's legendary racehorse Phar Lap, who had a film made about him in 1983, had appeared in archive footage in a 1948 film titled The Winner's Circle. IMDB says ''This film features footage of a veritable '' Who's Who'' of championship horsedom of the period'', which included Man O' War and Seabiscuit. It would be interesting to sight an Australian daybill or any other Australian posters to see if, as in the above newspaper advertisement, he received a credit or not.

The Winner's Circle Australian daybill which was included in ''Wil's under house find acquisition. Unlike he newspaper advertisement no mention of Phar Lap though, so a great opportunity missed.

• The Inn Of The  Sixth Happiness ( 1958 ), The above Robert Burton daybill has always been thought to be the original Australian first release daybill. Now a W.E.Smith of exactly the same design with different colouring has surfaced.

Your thoughts?

• Looking forward to seeing Cate Blanchard portraying Lucille ball in the announced Lucy And Desi film.

• edited November 2018

Giant ( 1956 ). Two slightly different versions of the daybill printed for the Australian 1971 re-release. On wonders why one version wouldn't have sufficed?
  • HONDO said:

Looking forward to seeing Cate Blanchard portraying Lucille ball in the announced Lucy And Desi film.

Cate Blanchett I think! It will be interesting to see her portrayal - might be one of her toughest roles to pull off.
  • HONDO said:

The Inn Of The  Sixth Happiness ( 1958 ), The above Robert Burton daybill has always been thought to be the original Australian first release daybill. Now a W.E.Smith of exactly the same design with different colouring has surfaced.

Your thoughts?
    I reckon there could be a full-colour W.E. that hasn't surfaced yet. Similar case to King & I.