Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

The Science Fiction Quiz

Comments

• theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    NO idea on the other one.  Everything I think of turns out wrong, but I know I've seen that image before!
  • BruceBruce Member, Captain Movie Poster Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    174 Deluge

I remember when I auctioned this herald. Such striking images!

We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭✭✭✭ Le Grande Collector
    175. Dune

Invaders From Mars
     Both correct. Dune from 1984 and the original Invaders from Mars from 1953.

Bruce said:
    174 Deluge

I remember when I auctioned this herald. Such striking images!

Correct and a good memory too. Deluge from 1933. I like the following image from the film.

Lawrence
     177 178 179

A couple of easy ones, and I am thinking a most likely harder one in the mix as well.
    Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 851 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Didn't seem too hard for any odf them.  I'll take #178, and use my 3 sheet as 'proof'

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,502 admin

#178 answer correct from Jay. The Invisible Boy from 1957.

# 177 clue is a British film.
    # 179 clue is a Japanese film.

Lawrence
  • jayn_jjayn_j Member, Singin Dancing Fool, Lobby Master Posts: 851 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    As I said, not that tough.  I'll take #177 as the tougher of the two.  #179 is a classic 50s monster flick

#177: 1959

- Jay -
    Curmudgeon in training 
  • theartofmovieposterstheartofmovieposters Member Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector
    edited September 2018
    jayn_j said:
    As I said, not that tough.  I'll take #177 as the tougher of the two.  #179 is a classic 50s monster flick

#177: 1959

Correct. Titled The Giant Behemoth for the U.S.A. release, with Behemoth The Sea Monster being the original U.K. and Australian title.

theartofmovieposters said:
    Ok then.

#179 Rodan.

Correct. Rodan from 1956.

Lawrence

Back again after a two year and eight month absence. This previously popular quiz has another four titles here for you to have a think about.       
    Lawrence
    Totally guessing, but I am thinking 181 is Panic in the Year Zero, and 183 is the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions every other week + 6 major auctions a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    Bruce said:
    Totally guessing, but I am thinking 181 is Panic in the Year Zero, and 183 is the 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers

Spot on guessing Bruce with both 181 and 183 answered correctly. The 183 image is of the cameo appearance of Kevin McCarthy the star of the 1956 original version of the film.

Panic In Year Zero ( 1962 ) & Invasion Of The Body Snatchers ( 1978 ).
    Lawrence
  • RickRick Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    180 has similar colours to Terminal Man
    182 earlier Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

Rick said:
    180 has similar colours to Terminal Man
    Good thinking, but it isn't The Terminal Man from 1974. Concentrate on the previous decade's sci-fi films.
    182 earlier Invasion of the Body Snatchers?
    Correct, it is indeed the original 1956 version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers.

Appearing in the below scene is Sam Peckinpah, the famous film director playing the part of Charlie the meter reader. 

In my opinion one of the best sci-fi films ever made. Anyone agree?
    Lawrence

Final clue for # 180 is gimmicks.

Lawrence

180 Project X

Correct. Project X was one of many films that used this title. This version released in 1968. The film had special sequences animated by Hanna-Barbera and was produced and directed by William Castle.

Lawrence
    edited May 31

186                                                                                                 187

The previous four images displayed, with and without any clues, were answered promptly. I think this new batch will probably range from being easy and up to difficult to solve.
    Lawrence
    Is 184 The Tunnel (Transatlantic Tunnel)? It is the only Richard Dix sci-fi I know.
    Bruce said:
    Is 184 The Tunnel (Transatlantic Tunnel)? It is the only Richard Dix sci-fi I know.
    Well picked up Bruce. This Richard Dix film from 1935 as far as I can see was his only sci-fi film. This ambitious British film imported a number of American actors to appear in the film.

Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 129 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    186 is obviously Star Wars. I had a 6-sheet with that image on it.
    Correct, and it is of course from Star Wars from 1977.

The  original Star Wars U.S. international  6 sheet.

This poster is currently up for sale on eBay for $5,995.00 U.S.

Are you thinking Dede perhaps you should have hung on to it for a while longer?

Lawrence
  • dedeposterdedeposter Member Posts: 129 ✭✭ One-Sheeter
    HONDO said:
    Correct, and it is of course from Star Wars from 1977.

The  original Star Wars U.S. international  6 sheet.

This poster is currently up for sale on eBay for $5,995.00 U.S.

Are you thinking Dede perhaps you should have hung on to it for a while longer?

I'm very glad I sold it when I did for much more than that! 

Clue for # 185 is sometimes it doesn't pay to be perfect. A bonus clue is some firsts involved with this film.

Clue for # 187 is think of a number.

Lawrence
    187 is 12 TO THE MOON. 

Bruce said:
    187 is 12 TO THE MOON. 

Correct, with 12 To The Moon being originally released in 1960.

Lawrence
    Since I am the only one playing, I will post that #185 is Looker.

I do REALLY well with horror/sci-fi, but REALLY terribly with war movies. They all the look the same to me! I suspect I would be even worse with cowboy movies!
    Bruce said:
    Since I am the only one playing, I will post that #185 is Looker.

I do REALLY well with horror/sci-fi, but REALLY terribly with war movies. They all the look the same to me! I suspect I would be even worse with cowboy movies!
    Correct in that # 185 is Looker ( 1981 ). I really appreciate your participation Bruce with my quizzes on the genres that you obviously know and enjoy.

You are not alone in the subject of Western movies. I introduced a thread titled The Western Quiz in September 2015, and by the end of the same month ceased posting any new entries due to little interest. Pancho commented he wasn't interested in westerns and Ves said she would struggle. Fortuneately the War Movies Quiz I also introduced in September 2015 has been my most viewed and participated in quiz.

Now back to Looker.

Movie review Looker  A GATOR IN NAPLESLooker 1981 German movie poster

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looker is a 1981 American science-fiction film[1] written and directed by Michael Crichton and starring Albert FinneySusan Dey, and James Coburn.[4] The film is a suspense/science-fiction piece that comments upon and satirizes media, advertising, television's effects on the populace, and a ridiculous standard of beauty.

Though sparse in visual effects, the film is notable for being the first commercial film to attempt to make a computer-generated, three-dimensional, solid-looking model of a whole human body. However, as with its predecessors FutureworldStar Wars, and Alien, this was an example of "CGI representing CGI", and only depicted on CRT screens in the movie, rather than being used as a special effect. The model had no skeletal or facial movements and was not a character. Looker was also the first film to create three-dimensional (3D) shading with a computer,[5] months before the release of the better-known Tron

Lawrence