Skip to content

Banned In Australia Films

Comments

• Film # 15. The Bride And The Beast ( 1958 ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1960 on horror grounds.

Never released theatrically in Australia as far as I can tell.

Television screenings in Australia unknown but doubtful.

Available in the U.S.A. on DVD.

• edited November 2015

Film # 16. Look In Any Window ( 1961 ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1962 on Violence grounds.

Television screenings in Australia unknown.

Has been released on DVD in the U.S.A. but appears currently unavailable.

•                          Film # 17. The Fantastic Disappearing Man ( U.K. title ) aka The Return Of Dracula ( Original U.S. release title in 1958 ).

Banned by the Australian censor under the U.K. title of The Fantastic Disappearing Man in 1962 on Horror grounds . No record available  but most likely banned also around 1958  under the original The Return Of Dracula title on the same grounds.

Never released theatrically in Australia as far as I can tell under either title.

Has been screened on Australian television on the now defunct subscription Movie Greats channel under The Return Of Dracula title in my memory serves me correctly.

Has had a U.S. DVD release.

•       Film # 18. Passport To Shame ( 1958 ) ( U.S. title Room 43 ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1959 on violence grounds.

Australian television screenings unknown.

Released in the U.S.A. on DVD and available from on-line retail sites.

• edited December 2015

Film # 19. The Thing That Couldn't Die ( 1958 ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1959 on horror grounds. 

Australian television screenings ( if any ) unknown.

Has been released in the  U.S A. on DVD.

• I put a lot of work into this thread and it appears to me recently that although I am not receiving any comments, which I can live with, that in recent times I have been noting  the number of views is very minimal so it appears to me I am playing to an almost empty house. Is anyone actually interested in this information ? Please let me know if it is of interest to you ? I will probably continue publishing the details as I have information on countless other films and it should be available as public record but the response I receive will determine the frequency on how often I publish in the future.  Let me hear from members who enjoy and get some satisfaction from this information ? 
  •                                            No comments and almost zero views.
  • edited December 2015
    Hi hondo most of the films banned are horrors and the posters are not on my want list. Whilst the level of detail is excellent and appreciate your effort and the historical relevance,  there is nothing i can contribute here.  Im also not as big a horror film buff as some members here also. Best sven
  • Btw Hondo i think keep plugging away at this thread as we need it on public record preserve history. . As the forum continues to grow,   more members will find this interesting for sure.
  • Sven said:
    Hi hondo most of the films banned are horrors and the posters are not on my want list. Whilst the level of detail is excellent and appreciate your effort and the historical relevance,  there is nothing i can contribute here.  Im also not as big a horror film buff as some members here also. Best sven

Thanks and I really appreciate your feedback Sven.
  • edited December 2015
    HONDO said:
    Sven said:

Thanks and I really appreciate your feedback Sven.
    No worries HONDO and i also added comment above,  not sure you saw 

"Btw Hondo i think keep plugging away at this thread as we need it on public record preserve history. . As the forum continues to grow,   more members will find this interesting for sure"
  • Sven said:
    Btw Hondo i think keep plugging away at this thread as we need it on public record preserve history. . As the forum continues to grow,   more members will find this interesting for sure.

Good advice Sven but we will see what happens in the future.
  • Just to let you know I was eventually going to discuss banned television series with some of the titles banned including episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Present which probably would have been of interest to A.H. followers.
  • HONDO said:
                                               No comments and almost zero views.
    Super sad kitty...   :s  Hang in there buddy...   I agree with Sven you never know who might show up and do a search.  
  • Thank you for your kind words Charlie..
  • HONDO said:

The show must go on
  • edited December 2015
                                       Was part of a future listing on banned television episodes.                                                  
  • Hitchcock Presents was banned here?!??!!!  WHAT!  I must pull that series out and have a rewatch.
  • Hitchcock Presents was banned here?!??!!!  WHAT!  I must pull that series out and have a rewatch.

At least 12 episodes from Alfred Hiitchcock Presents ( 1955 -1962 } were not allowed to be screened on ATN . The only episode from the 12 that I know the title of that that was not allowed to be screened was from  series 1 episode 31 from 1956 called The Gentleman From America. The synopsis as follows " Rich American Howard Lattimer visits London and bets 1.000 pounds that he can spend the night in a room that is said to be haunted''.

If you have this episode Ves, in light of this information it would be interesting to view it now and let us know what you think of the original banning decision. .

• HONDO said:

At least 8 titles of Medic ( 1954 / 1956 ) were not allowed originally to be screened on ATN in Australia. Episode titles are unknown at this time. I am wondering if it had anything to do with medical procedures as I cannot think of any other reason to ban episodes.

Though I would check Google to see if I could find anything and found this from Wikipedia. '' Medic was televisions first doctor drama to focus attention on medical procedures''. Possibly it was thought some episodes were too graphic for audiences to be able tohandle in the 1950s.

• HONDO said:
    Hitchcock Presents was banned here?!??!!!  WHAT!  I must pull that series out and have a rewatch.

At least 12 episodes from Alfred Hiitchcock Presents ( 1955 -1962 } were not allowed to be screened on ATN . The only episode from the 12 that I know the title of that that was not allowed to be screened was from  series 1 episode 31 from 1956 called The Gentleman From America. The synopsis as follows " Rich American Howard Lattimer visits London and bets 1.000 pounds that he can spend the night in a room that is said to be haunted''.

If you have this episode Ves, in light of this information it would be interesting to view it now and let us know what you think of the original banning decision. .

I've pulled that disc...too late now, but will watch it tomorrow night once the munchkins go down :)
  • edited December 2015

New Zealand daybill   

Film # 20. Black Zoo ( 1963 ).

Banned by the Australian censor in 1962 on Horror grounds. Although released in the U.S.A. in 1963 the details I have state the film was banned in Australia in 1962 the year before.

Australian television screenings in Australia unknown.

Has been released in the U.S.A. on DVD.

Originally released in New Zealand with a R16 classification.

• HONDO said:
    Hitchcock Presents was banned here?!??!!!  WHAT!  I must pull that series out and have a rewatch.

Finally had a chance to watch this, and really all I can think is the main character goes cuckoo which they may not have liked.  Even that is tame, but that's all I can think...
  • Thanks Ves for your comments.

We must have had a fuddy-duddy of a censor to also ban an episode of The Roy Rogers Show from being screened on ATN.

• edited December 2015
                                                                                          I had to include this image from a short banned from screening on ATN. Try and guess the actor who went on to be a huge television star?
  •  Clue - Western television series.