Skip to content

There Are Australian Daybill & One Sheets Existing For These Films.

Comments

• There are no restrictions on starting new threads for anyone including Lawrence.  But if you threaten I am not going to tuck tail and rush to apologize to anyone.
  • This title Alias French Gertie ( 1930 ) had an Australian one sheet sold on the 7th of November 1998 at a Pickles Auction in Sydney. I cannot say for sure that the above U.S.A. one sheet would have been the same design as the Australian one auctioned, but my memory from the Auction was that all the Auctioned posters that were mainly from 1930 & 1931 were all great looking posters. So if the poster sold wasn't the same design, it would nevertheless have been a  fabulous looking poster anyway. For those members unaware of the Auction or wish to be refreshed, details and some spectacular images can be found starting at the beginning of this thread and working your way through.

• David said:
    Wouldn't you just love to see the art on some all of these?!
    David had posted this comment in July 2015. I clearly remember, even to this day, some of the beautiful artwork, and what remains clear to me from my viewing then, is that the individual 58 poster titles that I viewed up close had mainly bright  colours and excellent artwork on the vast majority of the 1927 / 1932 one sheet posters.   
  • Recently picked up a couple of catalogues for auctions which included several early posters...I can't recall off the top of my head if they were Aussie or US.
    Thanks  for the bump...will check them out tonight to see if any of these are in there!

• An original U.S.A. one sheet Of Rio Rita ( 1929 ), and the only o.s. style I could locate of this rare title.  An Australian one sheet was sold in the 1998 Sydney Pickles Auction. A good chance this could have a been the Australian one sheet style, or at least something similar, that they used when released here in 1930. 
  •   

Dad And Dave Come To Town ( 1938 ). The common colourful 1950's or 1960's re-release  daybill and a poor black and white copy of the original long daybill. Anyone have an image of the original in it's full glory?

• Images for Noose For A Gunman and The Cat Burglar that were both  listed earlier on the thread as being missing. There may or may not be a more colourful version of The Cat Burglar.

This image has just turned up on one of Bruce's current auctions. Another  title accounted for.

• edited September 2018

Wil's image of The One That Got Away now accounts for another title located from my earlier missing lists.

• Didn't realise it was a rare one Lawrence. I suppose I've seen so many UK posters for this around, I assumed Aussie materiel must be equally plentiful. The Aussie one sheet (which replicates the UK one) is also rather nice. 

I loved the film, always better when based on an actual event. It should look great beside Carve Her Name With Pride, both telling remarkable stories and both with the 'heroes' pride of place on the poster with little or no background clutter.
  • Didn't realise it was a rare one Lawrence. I suppose I've seen so many UK posters for this around, I assumed Aussie materiel must be equally plentiful. The Aussie one sheet (which replicates the UK one) is also rather nice. 

I loved the film, always better when based on an actual event. It should look great beside Carve Her Name With Pride, both telling remarkable stories and both with the 'heroes' pride of place on the poster with little or no background clutter.
    Yes Wil it is rare. i am aware of one additional copy only existing. There are possibly other copies existing though. The Australian one sheet is also rare and I have never sighted one, so if you don't mind an image would be great. Agree with your comments on the two posters artwork style. Both films make great viewing.

• If the other daybill is the one that sold on HA last year, I'm assuming this is it as the seller also offered the two in the HA lot that came with it (The Prisoner & Eichmann).
  • edited September 2018
    If the other daybill is the one that sold on HA last year, I'm assuming this is it as the seller also offered the two in the HA lot that came with it (The Prisoner & Eichmann).
    I missed that HA auction for some reason. The daybill that I was referring to was sold from Melbourne in the late 1990's. Thanks for the Australian one sheet image Wil.

• The original British 3 sheet of The One That Got Away, from which the same artwork design was copied for the Australian daybill.

The original U.K. one sheet and the almost identical Australian one sheet. The Australian poster artist forgot to attach a BEF logo alongside the Rank logo as it appears on the daybill. This was standard practice to do this on all BEF posters printed for release here in Australia.
  • edited September 2018

Stand By For Action  ( 1942 ) original U.S.A. one sheet and an Australian one sheet with the same design.

An original U.S. insert poster. There was a daybill of this title sold in 2000, but an image is unavailable. Does anyone have this daybill image by any chance?
  • Unfortunately Lawrence, nearly all those 1 sheets at that sale in 1998 were U.S. printed. I subsequently bought a few titles which most likely came from that collection. Most of the Pickles ones were resold in London in one sale in 1999. Three Australian one sheets - Trader Horn, Politics and This Modern Age were in the London sale. I have the catalogue from that sale which pictures most of them in colour. 
    Dave
  • That Aussie Stand By For Action looks familiar....come to think of it, so do the floorboards.
  • darolo said:
    Unfortunately Lawrence, nearly all those 1 sheets at that sale in 1998 were U.S. printed. I subsequently bought a few titles which most likely came from that collection. Most of the Pickles ones were resold in London in one sale in 1999. Three Australian one sheets - Trader Horn, Politics and This Modern Age were in the London sale. I have the catalogue from that sale which pictures most of them in colour. 
    Dave
    I was a film poster one sheet novice in 1998, and apparently assumed the one sheets were all Australian.The posters in the basic catalogue were not marked with a ''country of origin''.There was an Australian  daybill  of ''East Lynne'' included in the sale though and I had thought the ''Sidewalks of New York'' one  was Australian. Thinking back  I remember there were multiple designs of ''Palmy Days'', which possibly were from the U.S.A. Any details Dave from the London 1999 sale would be appreciated.

• Matt said:
    That Aussie Stand By For Action looks familiar....come to think of it, so do the floorboards.
    You may have a rare one there then - the poster that is, and not the floorboards.
  • HONDO said:
    Matt said:
    That Aussie Stand By For Action looks familiar....come to think of it, so do the floorboards.
    You may have a rare one there then - the poster that is, and not the floorboards.
    Oh good because I've sold the floorboards.
  • edited October 2018
    HONDO said:
    darolo said:
    Unfortunately Lawrence, nearly all those 1 sheets at that sale in 1998 were U.S. printed. I subsequently bought a few titles which most likely came from that collection. Most of the Pickles ones were resold in London in one sale in 1999. Three Australian one sheets - Trader Horn, Politics and This Modern Age were in the London sale. I have the catalogue from that sale which pictures most of them in colour. 
    Dave
    I was a film poster one sheet novice in 1998, and apparently assumed the one sheets were all Australian.The posters in the basic catalogue were not marked with a ''country of origin''.There was an Australian  daybill  of ''East Lynne'' included in the sale though and I had thought the ''Sidewalks of New York'' one  was Australian. Thinking back  I remember there were multiple designs of ''Palmy Days'', which possibly were from the U.S.A. Any details Dave from the London 1999 sale would be appreciated.

Almost all of the 1998 auctioned  film posters were from 1930 and 1931, with a few earlier, but none later than 1931. During this period Australian censorship ratings hadn't started appearing on Australian one sheets, so the only way to distinguish Australian from U.S.A. posters would have been the printer's information on the bottom, which unfortunately I didn't pay any attention to having a heap of people all trying to look at the posters at the one time, and having to move along a giant table.
    Apart from the three titles mentioned as being Australian and the possible''Sidewalks Of New York'' there was also ''Blackmail'' which was Australian as well.
  • Lawrence, - I'll look for the catalogue but from pretty good memory there were about 35 lots in the London sale (either Christie's or Sotheby's). There was a 3 sheet for Palmy Days, all the rest were 1 sheets and only 3 as I recall were Australian. Dave

• Have we seen this before?
  • No..very cool and Godzila actually looks good (and scary) unlike the  duo daybill!!. Thx for posting chris.

• Have we seen this before?
    Nope.

Sven said:
    No..very cool and Godzila actually looks good (and scary) unlike the  duo daybill!!. Thx for posting chris.

You must be referring to this 1960's re-release seen here then Sven ?

More regarding Chris's Godzilla one sheet on the  ''1950's first release Australian Daybills not designed by Richardson Studio For Parampount Pictures'' thread shortly.

• Thanks Laurence yes that's the one
  • HONDO said:
     The Key Australian one sheet. Still searching for the Australian daybill though.

Thanks to Ves here is the original daybill image.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Black Tights ( 1961 ). Another image now available, with this one originating from Sven.  This title originally appeared on my missing daybill list on this thread in August 2015. Slowly missing daybill images are turning up. 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Secret Interlude ( aka The View From Pompey's Head )  ( 1955 ). Yet one more missing image that I had listed in August 2015 has been located, if only in this very small image.

O.k. my next comment isn't regarding a daybill or an Australian daybill, but an important missing Australian one sheet. 

Original U.S.A. 1956 Jailhouse Rock one sheet.

Bruce sold an Australian one sheet of Jailhouse Rock in 2000 for $520, so we know that at least one copy exists. No image is available but we surely can rule out that it was in duotone, similar to the duotone daybill that is in the marketplace, but an original full colour poster. Will we ever see an image of an original full colour Australian one sheet in our lifetime I wonder? Perhaps the one that Bruce sold is the only one that survived. 

• Pretty sure Rick has the Aussie one sheet for Jail House
  • Sven said:
    Pretty sure Rick has the Aussie one sheet for Jail House
    Rick is this so ?