Skip to content

We want it scary...but not TOO scary!

Comments

• Bid $390 for this 40x60 but a horn(ier) bastard beat me! (MP oddly omits name of Veronica Carlson?):

See my post today to view other international MPs:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MoviePosterCollectors

• Rumble On The Docks ( 1956 ) original U.S.A. insert poster and an Australian daybill poster, with the violence against a woman scene covered over in New Zealand.

• The Damned / These Are The Damned ) ( 1963). U.K. quad, Australian daybill and a U.S.A. one sheet. Big difference in the style of artwork used by the three countries on their posters.

• The Dirty Dozen ( 1967 ). The Australian censor's dislike of threatening knives enforced again on the Australian daybill.

• Sweet And Savage ( 1983 ). Original Australian daybill images.

The Australian daybill after some New Zealand censorship occurred.

Removed taglines in N.Z. are -
    rebel guerillas torn apart by trucks!
    the massacre of prisoners of war!
    the slaughter of dolphins!

Yet allowed to remain in N.Z.
    corpses cut to pieces and fed to dogs and vultures!

The removed three taglines one has to think that these sequences in the film were censored and removed from the final passed film version, but one has to doubt that the corpses cut to pieces and fed to dogs and vultures! sequence still showing on the poster would have been allowed in N.Z. though.

• HONDO said:

For The Hellfire Club ( 1961 ) from the U.K. where does one start ?  

Top two images from the original U.K. release, The two quads are the same except the far top one has had a little covering up work done on the dancing harem girl image. The second image underneath has a far sexier looking woman. The British quad artwork concentrated more on action than orgies.

The French poster ( also with Dutch titles on the bottom ) concentrated more on the orgies that just weren't in this very tame film. Notice a knife threatening a scantily clad woman who appears chained and also what the harem girl is wearing, or should I say not wearing.

Then we have the Australian daybill at the bottom which is very poorly drawn and rated For General Exhibition. The harem girl appears to me to have been upgraded to the 1960s in her outfit. What is the man pouring into the bath ? Bath salts maybe ? Then on the bottom right is supposedly a sword fight. The person on the left appears to be holding what appears to be a very thin sword but Keith Michell's character on the right is missing a sword along with the knife in his other hand which appears on the original quad. The daybill was from Advertising and Commercial who should have been ashamed of themselves for this poor excuse for artwork.

Paul said:
    The top image of Hellfire club, the Irish Censor will have coloured in the girl, for use in Ireland. they did this kind of thing all the time. They are the same poster, not a different printing.

I have always thought that Australian and New Zealand film censorship was some of the  toughest in the western world, but after reading the following article from 1932 it would appear not so.

• HONDO said:
     On the 29th of September of this year I posted the above daybill image of the 1958 film The Hot Angel and spoke of my surprise in the allowing by the Australian censor of the knife threatening image to be used on the poster. I have just noticed the same image on the Australian one sheet has had the blade of the switchblade removed. The complete  one sheet image wasn't used as it was very dark in appearance and the enlarged section I have included shows the point I am making in better light. The daybill allowed but the same image on the one sheer censored so someone explain this one to me? 

Australian. 
    Interestingly the U.S.A. one sheet appears to me to have had originally the blade appearing on it, then painted over.

Apparently the word to not use the knife blade on the poster didn't get through to Richardson Studio. 

• Gun on the one sheet but not on the daybill:

1y676 WEB Aust 1sh 47 Edmond OBrien  sexy full-length Ella Raines cool film noir art 5p047 WEB Aust daybill 47 Edmond OBrien  sexy full-length Ella Raines cool film noir art
  • edited November 2018

The Kidnappers ( 1953 ), ( aka The Little Kidnappers in the U.S.A. ). 

Threatening firearm featured on the U.S.A. insert poster, a 3 sheet non threatening firearm appearing on the country of origin U.K. poster and guess what, no firearm on the Australian daybill.The Australian censors didn't like guns and it was a 'for general exhibition' rated film after all. 

• HONDO said:

Dr. Crippen ( 1953 ) U.K.quad with in a bedroom scene depicted. I don't have an image of what the Australian daybill looked like as originally produced but the daybill was altered for censorship purposes in New Zealand. Someone with a pen has drawn a blanket to cover the couple's bodies. It would be interesting to see exactly what is shown under the added blanket, as drawn on the original daybill. Notice the Australian poster artist at Robert Burton has made Donald Pleasence a younger, more handsome man with a lot more hair. Also of interest is the Sir Donald Wolfit billing appearing on the Australian daybill and not on the British quad.

The original Australian daybill with the same image as on the U.K. quad. The question then is why did the New Zealand censor cover over the section that they did? 

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Party Crashers ( 1958 ). U.S.A. insert poster and the Australian daybill. Only the top image that appeared on the insert was used on the Australian daybill. The threatening bottle was removed from appearing on the daybill, thus
    leaving  an odd looking unclenched hand.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Human Jungle ( 1954 ). Original U.S.A. insert poster and the greatly altered in appearance Australian daybill. The attempted strangling and the stripping scenes apparently far too offensive for Australia.  These images replaced on the daybill by a damsell in distress ( Jan Sterling ) image, as seen appearing in the below 8 x 10 still.,

• Human Desire ( 1954 ) original Australian daybill and the same daybill that was produced for New Zealand, but with added snipes used on the daybill to mask violent scenes against women. An odd choise at the top to use the Distributed by Columbia pictures Pty.Ltd. snipe instead or just colouring over the scene with a texta pen. The New Zealand censorship snipe had plenty of room to have been placed in the position where the Australian censorsip was printed on the Australian copy, had the censorship ruling not have been  ordered to cover over the offending scenes.

• Seems like a good thread to post this in. The censors once tried everything to save us from the perceived threat of guns and violence to women. But by the mid 1970s, they'd just given up and were happy to have a poster featuring a guy being shot in the face!
  • Seems like a good thread to post this in. The censors once tried everything to save us from the perceived threat of guns and violence to women. But by the mid 1970s, they'd just given up and were happy to have a poster featuring a guy being shot in the face!
  • And the poster ;-)
  • Hmmm...being told I'm not allowed to upload files in this category.
  • Hmmm...being told I'm not allowed to upload files in this category.
  • Oh no!  What's the poster?!?!?!?!?!
  • Try again!
  • The Yul Brynner film 'Anger in his Eyes' A.K.A Death Rage.
  • HONDO said:

The Girl In Lover's Lane ( 1960 ). U.S.A. original one sheet and insert posters at top, with the same posters showing just above in two slightly different censored versions. My question is where and when were the posters censored ? Were they modified after some complaints were received in the U.S., or were they censored perhaps in either Canada or New Zealand ? The lack of Canadian or New Zealand film censorship has be thinking perhaps not.

This film was released in Australia in 1963 by Regent Films, and apparently no Australian posters appear, to the best of my knowledge, to have surfaced yet. It would be interesting to see what the Australian artwork looks like, so Pancho or Rick, any chance you have a daybill or have ever seen one?

An Australian newspaper advertisement placed for some rare limited screenings in Canberra ACT in 1965.This is only the second piece of evidence that I have been able to find to confirn that this film received a release ( if only limited ) in Australia. Does a daybill or Australian one sheet exist one wonders? 

Original U.S.A. Young And Wild ( 1958  ) insert poster and the Australian daybill poster.

The Australian version was toned down drastically with ''of wild girls of the road!'' being repaced by ''of today's teenagers".

The insert artwork of a woman's bare midfuff, manhandling of a girl in car, with another scene showing one thug  accosting  a woman,  and with a second  one threatening with a knife in hand,

With all this offensive material not being used on the Australian daybill what was used to fill the void?  Three mediocre men's head images of vierually unknown actors from the fwas the Australian artists solution. The Australian daybill is exciting stuff indeed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxPancho said:
    Seems like a good thread to post this in. The censors once tried everything to save us from the perceived threat of guns and violence to women. But by the mid 1970s, they'd just given up and were happy to have a poster featuring a guy being shot in the face!
    Pancho said:
    The Yul Brynner film 'Anger in his Eyes' A.K.A Death Rage.
    Angel in His Eyes was a 1977 release, but earlier than that in 1973 there was The Outfit, showing a graphic depiction of Robert Duvall's character shooting Timothy Carey's character's hand at close range.

• Pancho said:
    The Yul Brynner film 'Anger in his Eyes' A.K.A Death Rage.

This one?

• That's the one!! Subtle, huh? ;-)
  • Pancho said:
    The censors once tried everything to save us from the perceived threat of guns and violence to women. 

Joy Ride ( 1958 ). U.S.A. 3 sheet and the Australian daybill. Another great example here Pancho of our Australian censors, adhearing to their guidelines and deciding what was suitable advertising material for us to see.

•  Experiment In Terror ( 1962 ). Original  U.S.A. insert poster and the Australian daybill. Lee Remick's curves and the face of the stalker was far too much apparently for Australians to see displayed on the poster.

• Murder She Said... ( 1961 ). Original U.S.A. insert poster, a second printing Australian duotone daybill and an Australian first release colour daybill altered in New Zealand when released there.

Firstly the exposed woman appearing to about to be strangled image appearing on the U.S. insert poster apparently was deemed to be too violent and sexy for a 'for general exhibition' rated film here in Australia.

In New Zealand the word strangler was a no-no. Why the extra two cover overs in what appears to be just blank space is intriging.

•  ( Chris )

Female Jungle ( 1955 ). Original U.S.A. insert poster and an Australian first release daybill.

Just another case of the Australian censor having a  dislike of knives. 

•  (CHRIS)

Too Late For Tears ( 1949 ). Original Australian one sheet and a newspaper advertisement from 1949 both featuring Lizabeth Scott with Dan Duryea and a smoking gun.

The original U.S.A. one sheet artwork apparently deemed too violent for usage in Australia, hence the adjusted artwork that was used here.

( Chris )

The Australian daybill with a watered down version of the slap used.

( Bruce from 1997 )

U.S.A. 3 sheet with a section of the poster blacked out. I believe the gun was covered over, but they left the smoke trail from the fired pistol hehind. Canadian censorship springs to mind.
  • Great stuff Lawrence!

• Fragment Of Fear ( 1970 ). Original U.S.A. insert, a U.S. printed international  3 sheet posters and an Australian first release daybill.

The version shown in Australian of this film was the second version submitted to the Australian censor, so there appears there were some initial concerns with some the film's content.. The hypodermic needle that appeares on the U.S. posters and other world posters is missing from the Australian poster. One wonders if the internatuional 3 sheet in this original form was used in Australia or not?