Skip to content

War Movies Quiz

Comments

• 254.  I feel like this is The Lighthorsemen?
  • 255 - Heaven Knows, Mr Allison (1957)

• 254.  I feel like this is The Lighthorsemen?
    Sorry Ves but The Ligthorsemen ( 1987 ) isn't the answer. I can understand why you thought this though.The image is from a film released much later in time though.

jayn_j said:
    255 - Heaven Knows, Mr Allison (1957)

Correct Jay. Well done as the image isn't indicating what the actual film's contents overall contain. A captivating film starring only Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum. Other than the actors playing the Japanese soldiers that's the full cast.
  • Much later you say.   Hmmmm....
  • HONDO said:

254

256 

Clues for # 254 - think of a different mode of transport a lot different from what appears in the image. # 256 clue is that  the film was based on a play and when filmed at one time previously a version of the film was set mainly in the air, and not the trenches of World War 1.

• #256 - Journey's End (2018)

Was hoping someone else would jump in.
  • jayn_j said:
    #256 - Journey's End (2018)
    Correct again and also credited as being a 2017 release. An experience to be had is in seeing a stage presentation of Journey's End, with one never likely to forget the ending.

The film version  that was set in the skies instead of the trenches that I had referred to in my earlier clue is Aces High ( 1976 ),

• HONDO said

Clue for # 254 - think of a different mode of transport a lot different from what appears in the image. 

Final clue is that the main star of the film has been in the news only just recently.

•  

# 254 answer is Fury  ( 2014 ). 

• If you say so.  Even after knowing the title, I wasn't able to find anything with that image.  Could you post the full image?
  • jayn_j said:
    If you say so.  Even after knowing the title, I wasn't able to find anything with that image.  Could you post the full image?
    I believe this scene appears at the beginning of Fury. A German S.S. Lieutenant on a white Spanish Arabian stallion appears out or a fog. He ends up being killed by Brad Pitt's character sergeant Don Collier.. 

The scene that I presented appears on the IMDB website  as image 111 of 163 photos.  The image presented is the complete image that appears there.

Hope this helps Jay. 

• damn.  IMDB is one of my goto sites and I looked at all 163 of those images.  Skipped right over it :)

•                                                                                                           257

258

259

Three more images from World War 11 set films to test your knowledge and skills. 

• I had thought that the above three woud be easy to identify.
  • sorry.  I did them, but then got busy last night.  I'll give one to get it started

#258 The Train (1964)

• jayn_j said:
    sorry.  I did them, but then got busy last night.  I'll give one to get it started

#258 The Train (1964)

A wonderful movie!

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• 259-  The Longest Day
  • jayn_j said:
    sorry.  I did them, but then got busy last night.  I'll give one to get it started

#258 The Train (1964)

Correct.

Bruce said:
    jayn_j said:

#258 The Train (1964)

A wonderful movie!
    Agree 100%. One of the all time great war movies and only a few years from films in almost all cases no longer being filmed in black and white.

Matt said:
    259-  The Longest Day
    Correct.

From The Longest Day ( 1962 ) IMDB trivia section - ''This movie was made in black-and-white to allow archive footage to be incorporated, to give the movie a documentary feel, and because it was felt some of the stars would appear younger.''
  • HONDO said:

257                       

It now just leaves this one to answer. The film was based on fact and features a real life central character.

• edited March 2020

As the final entry hasn't had any response I will reveal that the # 257 answer is Hell To Eternity ( 1960 ).

Some interesting details regarding a little background informatiom about the film's main character. 

Real life person Guy Gabaldon ( played in the fiilm by Jeffery hunter ) was a fluent speaker of Japanese as well as English. 

’Guy Louis Gabaldon was a United States Marine who, at age 18, captured or persuaded to surrender over 1,300 Japanese soldiers and civilians during the battles for Saipan and Tinian islands in 1944 during World War II’’. Wikipedia

A film worth seeking out.

• edited March 2020

260                                                                                     261

Who are the actors featured above and what are the names of the films the images are from?

• edited March 2020
    Edited on behalf of Hondo
  • 260 - Peter Lorre in The Cross of Lorainne (1943) (never seen it, but it also starred Gene Kelly in one of his first credited roles)
  • 261 Stalag 17 Otto Preminger

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com

• jayn_j said:
    260 - Peter Lorre in The Cross of Lorainne (1943) (never seen it, but it also starred Gene Kelly in one of his first credited roles)
    Correct.

Bruce said:
    261 Stalag 17 Otto Preminger
    50% correct. Otto Preminger it is, but the image is from another film he appeared in. Easy to understand why one would think is was Stalag 17 though.
  • He played Nazis in both 1942’s “The Pied Piper” and 1943's “They Got Me Covered", so I will guess The Pied Piper. Looks like he wore the same uniform in all of them!

•    Bruce said:
    He played Nazis in both 1942’s “The Pied Piper” and 1943's “They Got Me Covered", so I will guess The Pied Piper. Looks like he wore the same uniform in all of them!

You guessed correctly as the 261 film title answer is The Pied Piper ( 1942 ). Pictured below in a scene from the film from  left to right is Roddy McDowall, Anne Baxrer, Monty Woolley and Otto Preminger.   

•                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

262                                                                                                    263 

Three more images to answer,  Essential, but dangerous wartime work that was required to be carried out during World War 11.

Do you recognise the films or be able to work them out from the images?
  • edited March 2020
    263-Run Silent, Run Deep? 
  • 263-Run Silent, Run Deep?

Sorry but not the answer. A clue is in that all the films were British made.