Skip to content

War Movies Quiz

Comments

• 263 Definitely looks like Richard Burton on the right.
  • Matt said:
    263 Definitely looks like Richard Burton on the right.
    Although the actor may look like Richard Burton I need to inform you that it isn't him.

• #262 - Sea of Sand (1958) BAFTA film.
  • jayn_j said:
    #262 - Sea of Sand (1958) BAFTA film.
    Correct. The film was also titled Desert Patrol when released in the U.S.A, The English actor John Gregson was the actor who appeared in the previously posted image. He will most likely be remembered mainly for his role in Genevieve released in 1953. 

The following scene pictured below has always lingered in my mind long after I originally viewed it.

• # 263. A clue is that the actor pictuted below at the left of the image will most likely be remembered for his leading role in a famous science fiction film

# 264. The clue for the image below is that the character pictured had personal problems in the film to cope with which didn't help with the dangerous work that he was involved in.  

• Someone else jump in.  I don't want to hog all the GLORY.   :)
  • 263- Arhhh, that's Michael Rennie > Battle of the V1 1958, I've had the daybill on the wall for years now. Otherwise known as Missiles From Hell.
  • Matt said:
    263- Arhhh, that's Michael Rennie > Battle of the V1 1958, I've had the daybill on the wall for years now. Otherwise known as Missiles From Hell.
    Correct. David Knight is the other actor that appeared  with Michael Rennie in the earlier posted image.

The clue I earlier gave that referred to Michael Rennie was for his leading role in the 1951 Hollywood film The Day The Earth Stood Still

Final clue for 264 is that the English born actor appearing in the image that is still to be identified was most disappointed with how his stint in Hollywood in the 1950s turned out. 

• I gave my own clue in my last response for 264.
  • jayn_j said:
    I gave my own clue in my last response for 264.
    Good one to. Let's continue to target this one and hopefully hit a bullseye soon.

• The Small Dark Room ( 1949 ) is the answer to # 264, so to finalise and tidy things up here. Jay's clue glory referred to this British film's U.S.A. release title of Hour Of Glory, and the bullseye clue of mine was for the production company The Archers formed by the team of Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger who made the film. 

Good work in identifying the answer Jay, and although not publicially declaring it, knew it anyway. 

• # 265

# 266

# 267

# 268

Four more films that were made in more recent times than the ones that mainly appear on this thread. All the images are from well known films.
  • 265.  Inglorious Basterds.  I've watched this too many times I think
  • 268.  Looks like Saving Private Ryan.
  • #266: Stalingrad (1993)

• 265.  Inglorious Basterds.  I've watched this too many times I think
    Correct. Inglourious Basterds from 2009. 
    268.  Looks like Saving Private Ryan.
    Correct again. Saving Private Ryan from 1998.
    jayn_j said:
    #266: Stalingrad (1993)
    Correct.  This German version not to be confused with the 2013 Russian version. 

• For the remaining unanswered # 267 .

• # 267 I had imagined would be difficult to answer, but now maybe not.

• j-j r

• jayn_j said:
    j-j r

# 267 answer correct. JoJo Rabbit released 2019. Appears that you have viewed  the movie or just good at clues maybe.

• # 269    

# 270

# 271

Three more to perhaps challenge you.
  • 269. Enzo's Inglorious Bastards from the 70s.   Ari would be so proud of me.

• Correct and excellent response to 269 Ves. I had thought that this one would prove very difficult to answer.The Inglorious Bastards ( 1978 ) was indeed directed by Enzo G. Castellari

''When Quentin Tarantino wrote Inglourious Basterds (2009), even though the plot is different, he bought the copyrights of this film so the title could be the same.'' IMDB trivia. 

Tarantino altered the spelling of film's original title slightly.

Director Enzo G. Castellari played cameo roles as German officers in both versions of the film..

• #271  from 1961.  Nuff said.

•                                                                                                                                                                                              
    # 271  Armored Command ( 1961 ) is correct and good work Jay. 

• While we are waiting hopefully to receive an answer for # 270 where you probably need to think outside the box, here is another new image to ponder.

# 272. A great director has to start somewhere. Anyone?

• edited May 2020

# 270 . Removed from quiz. An oversight in originally placing it there.

# 272. The answer is Fear And Desie ( 1953 ). The first feature film directed by Stanley Kubrick. Virginia Leith and Frank Silvera are the two actors appearing in the scene from the film.

Frank Silvera was used again by Kubrick in his second feature film Killer's Kiss in 1955 and Virginia Leith will probably mainly be remembered as playing Jan Compton / Jan in the pan in the cult horror film The Brain That Wouldn't Die ( 1962 ). 

• HONDO said:

# 270 . Removed from quiz. An oversight in originally placing it there.

OK, but the answer is:

• Mission To Moscow, to set the records straight was a pro Russian war propaganda film made by Warner Brothers and released in 1943. The film was set mainly  in the years preceeding the start of World War 11 which commenced on September 1, 1939.  The limited added material appearing at at the end of the film,  which includes World War 11 actual footage does enough to officially include it the quiz once more.

Information behind the making of this film is worthwhile checking out.

Full marks to Jay for correctly answering the name of the film and for including the film here for all to view.

• # 272

# 273

# 274

Three more films set during World War 11 to have a think anout.