Skip to content

War Movies Quiz

Comments

• HONDO said:
    280. Paradise Road
    Correct Paradise Road from 1997. Early Cate Blanchett appearance.

jayn_j said:
    #281 Blood Oath/ Prisoners of the Sun (1990)  (A George Takei war film
    Correct.

I do not have either of these and I need them!  Far out man!
  • OK, done waiting for someone else:  Gung Ho! (1943) with Randolph Scott

Nice article here:  https://crackedrearviewer.wordpress.com/2019/05/27/special-memorial-day-edition-randolph-scott-in-gung-ho-universal-1943/
  • edited June 2020
    jayn_j said:
    OK, done waiting for someone else:  Gung Ho! (1943) with Randolph Scott

Nice article here:  https://crackedrearviewer.wordpress.com/2019/05/27/special-memorial-day-edition-randolph-scott-in-gung-ho-universal-1943/

The Gung Ho! answer for # 282 is of course correct, and I knew it would be only a matter of time before you would come forth with the answer Jay.

What a great website and article. I wasn't aware of this particulatr website at all, so thanks for introducing me to it.

Rod Cameron is the actor in the original posted image that my later ''at home on a horse'' clue related to, and mentioned here for anyone that may be interested in knowing this.

•  283 284 285

Three additional images hopefully to be answered, with their difficulty to identify ranging from easy to not so easy I am thinking.
  • edited June 2020

One last one for a while.
  • 285 Rats of Tobruk 1944

• Matt said:
    285 Rats of Tobruk 1944
    Very good guess Matt but unfortunately not correct.

The helmets worn by the soldiers in the image tend to throw one off the scent a bit. Of the four images posted I thought that this one would be the hardest image to correctly answer. I believe people will need to think outside the box with this one.

A clue then is '' on their last legs''.
  • I came up blank with #285.

I'll take #284 as Triumph of the Spirit (1989)  (never seen it)

• jayn_j said:
    I came up blank with #285.

I'll take #284 as Triumph of the Spirit (1989)  (never seen it)
    Correct. I haven't seen it either possibly due to the depressing subject matter.

• The remaining three images appear to be proving a little difficult to name so some clues to ponder.

# 283 -  Based on a true event from the annals of  World War 11 history .

# 285 -  Featuring something that was soon to be discarded, then thereafter only to become part of a certain country's history.

# 286  - The image itself is a clue

• 283.  Two movies came up...one seems to old for the image, so I say Valkyrie (But I can't find the image)
  • 283.  Two movies came up...one seems to old for the image, so I say Valkyrie (But I can't find the image)
    Correct. Valkyrie from 2008.

• Final clues for the remaining unanswered two images are -                                                                                                                             

# 285. Phillipines campaign.

# 286. They aren't Russians.

The image is on IMDB, which is where I found it.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0985699/mediaviewer/rm4206857729
  • Well your clues say it relates to the Bataan death march.  I've been through a couple of hundred photos and looked at every movie in IMDB about Bataan,  No luck, so well played.

I figure the image is a small snippet of a larger poster.

Here is a page from IMDB noting Bataan related films
    https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/?keywords=bataan-death-march
  • jayn_j said:
    283.  Two movies came up...one seems to old for the image, so I say Valkyrie (But I can't find the image)
    The image is on IMDB, which is where I found it.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0985699/mediaviewer/rm4206857729
    Doh!  Thanks Jay.  I think this is the second time images have come from IMDB...Need to remember to check there!
  • jayn_j said:
    Well your clues say it relates to the Bataan death march.  I've been through a couple of hundred photos and looked at every movie in IMDB about Bataan,  No luck, so well played.

Same!  I actually came to this thread to say I surrender!
    I looked through what I could find on Bataan, but no luck!
    If you are having a hard time finding it too, I don't feel so bad now :)

I surrender...no idea on the last two.
  • edited June 2020

jayn_j said:
    Well your clues say it relates to the Bataan death march.  I've been through a couple of hundred photos and looked at every movie in IMDB about Bataan,  No luck, so well played.

Sorry but I wish to clarify that as mentioned in my clue that it related in no way to the death march of Bataan.  My clues given were '' Based on a true event from the annals of World War 11 history'' along with '' Phillipipines campaign''.  The event that I was referring to was the invasion of the Phillipines and not the Bataan death march. 

The film  is set in the Phillipines at the beginning of WW 11 sometime after the Japanese first invaded the Island the day after the Pearl Harhour attack on the 7th of December 1941 and covers I believe the middle part of the invasion sometime between December 1941 and April 1942 when the march occured.

The film is a propaganda effort produced by a major Hollywood studio and released in 1943.

The image is taken from an original film poster and is prominately pictured unferneath the film title at the very top of the poster.

War films listed under the Pacific campaign should help you in solving 285.

• Now to # 286. The Russians aren't coming! The Russians aren't coming!
  • edited June 2020

Phew!  I'm spent.  No way I would have gotten that.
    I surrender on 286....

• Correct Ves, and I just love your perseverance in tracking down the answer to this one. I had originally thought that this image would be difficult for someone to come up with the answer for.

An earlier clue referred to this type of helmet worn in the Salute To the Marines 1943 image..
  • Hats (helmets) off to you Ves.  You be the champ!
  • 286: T-34??
  • With days spent in seemingly endless meetings, emails or reports, the quizzes are a welcome distraction during most days.  Not great at some of them, but I try to at least give them a go!
  • jayn_j said:
    Hats (helmets) off to you Ves.  You be the champ!
    I learnt from the master :)
  • edited June 2020
    jayn_j said:
    286: T-34??
     Please explain?     

'' The U.S. Army used the basic Brodie-patterned M1917 helmet until 1942 with some modifications, which included a totally new liner and canvas chin strap. It was finally superseded by the M1 Helmet in 1942 and passed down to civil defence.'' ( Wikidedia ).

An original WW11 U.S. M1 helmet

• I think Jay means the movie T-34 (1965)
  • HONDO said:

One last one for a while.
    Final clue is The Russians aren't coming! The Russians aren't coming! ...  But!...
  • HONDO said:
    jayn_j said:
    286: T-34??
     Please explain?                                                                                                                                                                                                                            
    Matt said:
    I think Jay means the movie T-34 (1965)
    For some reason I apparently mixed up the 286 and 285 numbers and thought Jay was still referring to Salute To The Marines and that the T-34 was connected to the helmet in some way.

I was unaware of the Russian film titled T-34 which must have slipped under the radar. Matt mentionef 1965 but it appears to be a 2018 release. 

Finally Jay after all that, the film isn't T-34. Have you seen the film, and if so is worth seeking out?

I am hoping that the clue appearing above, that was provided a little earlier, will now allow 286 to be answered. Some further information is that the film was released in the 1950s.

• I look forward to logging in tomorrow morning and having Jay post the answer :)