Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Be qick to save!

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

The Eisenhower Linenbacking Experience...

Comments

• EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,377 admin
    I was missing a step or two-post effort backing reading & an email or two have since filled in those gaps-and I ended up with a curling LC! :-O photo 3667A095-3F5C-49D0-ACDA-5070439E7AA2_zpskguqnetc.jpg
    Mark
    edited May 2015
    I thought it was headed for the trash when I thought to add a little moisture and some weight to the problem for about 3 days...it emerged slightly better. Stains & scuffs did not come out completely-I think they are oil based-but it did clean up a bit, and is now frameable... photo 2D093A1C-4736-4E31-A98E-31B3258B15D7_zps0a3pkh7s.jpg Definitely a learning experience! I'm sure one of these days I'll look back and think, what was I doing?!
    Mark
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,627 admin
    You get an "Ä" for effort and you're having a crack at it which is a damn sight more than most people. Well done Mark!
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Bravery award for paper backing, good stuff Mark! 
    Thanks guys. It didn't turn out as planned, but forced me to learn more about the process. More supplies on order to make another attempt soon!...glad I took my wife's suggestion and tried it on a low priced card! #:-S :D
    Mark
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 5,984 admin
    Are you saying Liz is cheap???? [-X
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
    Hahahaha! It took me about 30 seconds to figure that one out! :D ....no, not at all! I have a OS of Fathers/Dividend because of her beauty! She's fighting with Audrey for the top spot of leading ladies!
    Mark
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,061 admin
    Geeze Mark, deep end and such great results - very impressed.
    David
    Thanks David. I really like lobbies as they are easy to self-frame & look nice in small wall spaces. It certainly helped me to better prepare for my next attempt!
    Mark
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,627 admin
    Is there a special sort of paper that should be used for paper backing?
  • MirosaeMirosae Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Great to see when things don't go according to plan too and how you manage to fix them. That LC looks fab. Well done Mark! =D>
    Rosa -
    Love some paper
    Matt said:
    Is there a special sort of paper that should be used for paper backing?

Well as far as I understand the process-and Charlie please correct me if I'm wrong-standard weight Masa can be used or a thicker weight to give added support to the card after it has dried. I will also now experiment with "Museum Board" to give more support. I also didn't have means to have the card/Masa adhered to my table...enter Hollytex. Which will keep all the papers "glued" to my board/table top so they can dry "flat."
    Mark
    edited May 2015
    Mirosae said:
    Great to see when things don't go according to plan too and how you manage to fix them. That LC looks fab. Well done Mark! =D>

Thanks Rosa. I've just started to experiment with water color pencils and wow! Thank goodness for the moist cotton ball. That's been a learning process in itself! ;)
    Mark
    Well, this weekends backing practice. I chose the sought after Danish, Bridge at Remagen. I forgot to take before picts, but as you'll see it was in fairly good shape prior to backing. The Danish paper seemed a bit thinner than my other one sheets from the same time period.
    Mark
    Wet work went well as I've cut the time the poster is wet down considerably. The masa went down really well as I think I have a good handle on long to leave it wet, to let it relax so it will lay down nicely w/o any lines/creases. photo 7869020D-3222-4E77-9D90-45402219E5A0_zps7qcnien1.jpg
    Mark
    edited May 2015
    The fold lines will need minimal touch up & it should be ready to be cut down. photo 26B715FD-1C96-4DA2-ABCD-F5B584CDDDA7_zpswl4sekvr.jpg photo 6BD6D699-0360-4642-B9B8-F25BE94DEAC2_zpsxukzmug5.jpg
    Mark
    Excellent job. Becoming easier?
    David
    edited May 2015
    Thanks. Yeah, definitely so. I used to labor over the steps; it feels more comfortable now. Then laying the masa, applying the wheat paste, laying the poster down & rolling it out is getting much easier. I've stared to practice with some pencil restoration...getting used to how the pencil will or won't blend with the color, wiping it clean if need be. Lots to learn!
    Mark
    Colouring is done in layers blending to get the right top colour.

That's all I got, from Michael Brewster:

David
    Nice job Mark I see you also avoided the white streaks problem you had for the Jimmy half sheet? What caused that ?

@ David: Thanks for the video, have been experimenting with my pencils and much harder than I thought to lay down the colors; getting them to match, burnishing the fold lines and not having it "stand out." Another process...

Sven said:
    Nice job Mark I see you also avoided the white streaks problem you had for the Jimmy half sheet? What caused that ?
    Thanks. Yeah, no white streaks. Charlie thought it might have been some loose ink that never "set" on the poster. I'm not sure, but it was either that, or my bleaching process was too long. I've since adjusted that and haven't had any problems like that on the last two I've backed. Although that Northside poster was unique in color and printing...So many variable to consider for every size, paper thickness, country of origin, decade, printer...the learning curve is immense! But fun as well...
    ;)
    Mark
    Finally cut off the canvas. A little touch up of the vertical fold line & a few letters with pencils. For my first try...won't look too bad framed & on the wall. photo 3C9705E5-A407-40D3-9332-1C5803E47B80_zpsxxpqyska.jpg
    Mark
    Nice Jimmy half sheet mate :) Don't think I've seen this in the half sheet format, but I like and it looks backed very well!  Keep it coming Mark!
    Really great work.
    David

Thanks guys. I've got another OS scheduled for this weekend. I'm trying get one down and not have the issue I had with the Northside 777 were the ink seemed to run/fade?? I picked one with similar dark colors over a lot of area on the poster and within a year or two of 1955. We'll see what the results will be after I've made some adjustments to the wet work steps.

------------I've come to realize that if i'm to back some of my higher value items, I need to know how the paper will react, what wash steps are adjusted for each paper that has different toning, foxing, tears, etc. and for OS's, HS, LC's, etc...

Mark
    Mark of the Renegade must be next/soon....
    David
    edited May 2015

Hahahaha...that is one poster in bad shape... #-o ...I'll likely sacrifice it for paper fills...

----but you bring up a good point David...the next one sheet i'm going to back was distributed by MGM in 1953, and included Agnes Moorhead in the cast...Can you guess which movie it is???

:-?
    Mark
    #$*^%*! off - not you too! When did this forum become 20 questions? lol

~X(
    David
    :)) Ok...it's the MGM classic starring Greer Pidgeon and Walter Garson...or is it Walter Pidgeon and Greer Garson?...anyway, my next one sheet is going to be Scandal at Scourie! I will post a picture later as I'm in my bunker now and haven't photo'd it yet. :D
    Mark
    Cross folds touched up with pencil. Was certainly a learning experience. Not perfect nor close to what I want to achieve but ok with it for my 2nd resto work & just for my own collection. photo 65FA26FA-9290-4D5A-8B4D-6CBBA91C234C_zps8wvdphxh.jpg
    Mark