Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Support Our Sponsors:

Be qick to save!

Now open!

Advertise here - click to read how

The Eisenhower Linenbacking Experience...

Comments

• EisenhowerEisenhower Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 3,377 admin

Thanks for the info Bruce, background history of the hobby is always good, and often difficult to dig-up.

Mark
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
  • MirosaeMirosae Member Posts: 852 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Thank you Bruce. This is very helpful. So how are "half sheets " called in pressbooks? Now I'm curious! Thanks again
    Rosa -
    Love some paper
    Mirosae said:
    Hi Mark, yes, my post was meant more as a ''criticism'' of ''bad'' restoration that some people in Europe call ''European Style''. I too have seen minimal work on posters ''European Style''  that look superb (just bathing and backing). But I have also seen, more often than not, really poor restoration being carried out in Europe where you can see the dirt, mould on the poster - and they charge you a fortune! So apologies, I did not mean to sound negative about that resto that though minimal might enhance the poster, but the poor one which I normally associate with ''European Style''.

I didn't think you were sounding mean or negative. I think it's likely true; some who back posters do not do a good job at restoration. I would feel its a waste of money to buy a poorly restored poster because my first concern was has it been conserved properly. That's why I haven't attempted any significant restoration yet. I want to have this first process down before moving on to the more difficult area of restoration. I remember reading where Dario said, restoration begins with a properly conserved/backed poster. All in all, the amount of restoration given to a poster depends on the one who wants it backed.   
    Thanks. You certainly have my admiration and respect!! Good job!!!
    Rosa -
    Love some paper

Mirosae said:
    Thank you Bruce. This is very helpful. So how are "half sheets " called in pressbooks? Now I'm curious! Thanks again
    If I recall I think they are simply labeled as 22x28's?
    Chris
    Mirosae said:
    Thanks Rosa! I've got a long way to go...
    :D
    Mark
    CSM said:

Mirosae said:
    I think that's right Matt...er I mean, Chris!
    :))
    Mark
    CSM said:

Mirosae said:
    thanks Chris!!
    Rosa -
    Love some paper
    Mirosae said:
    Thanks Rosa! I've got a long way to go...
    :D
    Not that long Matt... :)
    Rosa -
    Love some paper
  • BruceBruce Member Posts: 727 ✭✭✭ Daybiller
    Mirosae said:
    They were almost always referred to simply as "displays". Sometimes they would put "22x28 displays". Never "half-sheets".

Bruce
    We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,000 auctions a week, 138,000 a year.
    See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html
    thanks Bruce, appreciate the response
    Rosa -
    Love some paper
    Yes I have also seen "Photo Displays" or "Lobby Displays" or "Photo lobby displays" in pressbooks (followed by the 22x28 measurements)
    Chris
    edited May 2015
    CSM said:

Mirosae said:
    I think that's right Matt...er I mean, Chris!
    :))
    I am reMARKably bad with names. I'm sorry Mat...err Mark ....ouups. ... :-S ;;)
    Post edited by Mirosae on
    Rosa -
    Love some paper
    Latest linenbacking efforts...with the deluge of Australian movie poster talk going on of late, thought I'd get kicky & back one of my foreign posters! In salute to our friends across pond, I backed my first English one sheet. Measuring in at 27x39 1/2 it was in pretty good shape prior to backing. Only the grease pencil-my first time up against the substance-foiled my best backing to date. photo 916A39DF-8A2C-4C0B-8B84-B8913E8487EA_zpsxs8kh3an.jpg After... photo D6067431-06EF-4159-873C-1883AF69E2E7_zpsu0i8hep7.jpg
    Mark
    Backside with grease pencil & some pen... photo E5549ECE-C1FF-4786-BB1A-1B83196F72F3_zpsgx8svty8.jpg photo 47DFDF15-EBC3-4CBA-BD20-FB40956596E9_zps26lwge3c.jpg
    Mark
    edited May 2015
    Looking at the top left, near Hawkins ear, no grease pencil showed through...after wash it slightly showed through. photo F0141D54-3A51-4323-9D52-5460E891700D_zpsigpoxkv2.jpg
    Mark
    Poster has been drying for just over 24 hrs so the pencil may not ultimately show through, another 24 will tell...just to the right of his ear. photo FB676F3D-CACD-47C0-9CBE-44C9955F196B_zpsrs6hcwew.jpg Some faint show-through on his forehead... photo BEC64206-5440-4EEE-A770-9D711A27FED3_zpsibwro2ic.jpg
    Mark
    The bleach & deacidification worked great on this one...small success! photo B33DDD2B-A960-4CA6-B558-318FF1B245FE_zpsvzwxnzzw.jpg
    Mark
  • HONDOHONDO Member Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭✭✭ Elite Collector

Maybe it is a personal preference but I prefer the look of the original poster.To me it has character. I admit you have done aq good job in linenbacking the poster but the original background colour is different and the new version looks too slick and commercial for my tastes.That's my view so please don't shoot me. You said it was in pretty good shape so why tamper with it?

Hondo

Lawrence
    edited May 2015
    Details, details, details...my observation efforts will not let this pass again! What irritates me is that I fixed a few small fragments of paper-after laying the poster down-moved out of place during the wash...missed this one on the top of her nose bridge... photo 31311946-C761-4DD2-B9FB-CE9863A95F41_zps6ai78smj.jpg
    Mark
  • MattMatt Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 4,627 admin
    edited May 2015

That's done it!. We'll have to shoot you and Hondo....

I think the poster looks great . Well done.

In the end, happy with only my 2nd one sheet effort-am getting more comfortable with the entire wet work process, esp the bleaching a deacidification, laying down of the masa and the poster! photo D6067431-06EF-4159-873C-1883AF69E2E7_zpsu0i8hep7.jpg
    Mark
  • DavidDavid Administrator Posts: 10,061 admin
    Great effort, top result! 
    David
    HONDO said:

Maybe it is a personal preference but I prefer the look of the original poster.To me it has character. I admit you have done aq good job in linenbacking the poster but the original background colour is different and the new version looks too slick and commercial for my tastes.That's my view so please don't shoot me. You said it was in pretty good shape so why tamper with it?

Hondo

Thanks Hondo...understand your tastes. My wife also liked the aged toning that it had prior to my conservation efforts. But part of the development of my skills is to learn how to arrest the aging process of paper-to learn how to deacidify it properly, which in itself will lighten it. For me it's all about learning the process, which will result in posters looking "slick" and I'm ok with the poster looking like it did when it was first displayed at the theatre in 1955. Shooting? Heavens no! Waterboarding...maybe! ;)
    Mark
  • SvenSven Member Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭ Three-Sheeter
    Another Mark special , you seem to make quite large leaps each time , so good on you mate! Never seen the poster and like it !
    Thanks guys, appreciate it. I felt it was a solid effort and the results were good-but still need to perfect the process more before tackling some of my better posters.
    Sven said:
    Never seen the poster and like it !

Interesting you should say that-it kinda reminds me that as ive begun backing these posters-some of them, esp this last one, I've bought not for how they look, but to practice on...and always when I'm done & they're drying, i think..."i really like that poster!" I'm guessing it's all the work put into it...
    Mark
  • CharlieCharlie Member, Administrator, Moderator, Game Master Posts: 5,984 admin
    ^:)^
    That second mouse in the bowl of cream we call life...
    www.movieposterworks.com  | MPW on Facebook
    Thanks for the kudos Charlie. The upcoming restoration will be when the real fun starts! :D ....I was able to salvage the paperbacking debacle of my LC. Will post those pics later...
    Mark
    My first experiment with paperbacking...not my best results, but I salvaged what I thought would be a trash can candidate. Before...it had some surface dirt, scuff marks & toning I was hoping to eliminate... photo E926F74C-8DCE-4FD5-B130-B16504208388_zpsxoviwrkt.jpg photo AD3B8E83-0D6F-487E-813F-C04E9A4E1975_zpsdgqseggb.jpg photo E8C441FF-4037-459B-8436-A4AEB6A5F618_zpsgnd9t972.jpg photo 9A533BD0-44E9-4414-8767-FAA027D6DB56_zpsikq3vmud.jpg
    Mark