Skip to content

Jamie Mendez Restoration and Conservation

Jamie has operated out California for 15 years offering and delivering high quality services. I know many high end collectors use Jamie to get their posters restored.

Comments

• edited May 2014
    I've used this place before for the poster below.
  • edited May 2014
    article on Universal Poster Forgery Fraud

an estimated $2,000,000 in rare posters forged with the help of a noted poster restorer
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/26/movies/26posters.html

• edited May 2014

Charles Penzien, a lawyer representing Mr. Mendez, said his client did not join in any fraudulent acts or mislead anyone about his restoration work. “Mr. Mendez was shocked to hear that his name has been involved in the fake movie poster controversy,” Mr. Penzien said in a statement sent by e-mail.

I don't know him from a bar of soap and obviously his work is pretty damn good as it seems to have been good enough to be discovered as a fake rather than a restoration. So - my question is. Was he shocked his name was involved or shocked he got caught?
  • He was involved alright..
  • according to the sources, he probably didn't know in the beginning and was being used. So he was innocent during this time

but at some point when he was resubmitted via a collector a lobby card to touch up that he had created for Haggard
    he obviously would have  become aware, but he did not notify the client nor anyone else and continued to help Haggard create fakes.
  • If I were a restorer and someone came to me with a high quality repro, and said "Age this so it doesn't look like a repro anymore, so I can hang it on the wall and enjoy it more", I MIGHT possibly believe that.

But when they also gave me an original and told me to sand the face off that and merge the two? Please!!!!!!

And then when they told me to add "pretend restoration" to the BACK so it looked more "authentic", but it was STILL just to hang on the wall?

If you buy that, you might qualify for the "Most gullible person on Earth" award. :(

Here is a handy checklist to help tell eMoviePoster.com apart from all other major auctions!
    HAS lifetime guarantees on every item - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS unrestored and unenhanced images - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS 100% honest condition descriptions - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS auctions where the winner is the higher of two real bidders - IS eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "buyers premiums" - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "reserves or starts over $1 - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS hidden bidder IDs - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS no customer service to speak of - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS "nosebleed" shipping charges - NOT eMoviePoster.com
    HAS inadequate packaging - NOT eMoviePoster.com

• I agree with Bruce. Excellent restorer but can u trust him with ur poster? 
  • 95% of restorers are crooks in one way or another.  By either doing things like above, the S2 incident with PM and ?  who was the other restorer in that deal?  

Or by selling archival quality and then using permanent mediums, pre-prepared adhesives (wall paper paste), and masking materials.

The only one I would ever really trust is Dario.  He does use some acrylic when needed, but as I have found sometimes you just have to.  What I wish restorers would do is just be up front.  The increase in appearance comes with using semi-permanent materials.  This is unfortunate because then people use these restorers more but are ignorant.
  • Charlie, when Diane did that restoration to the Dracula poster she purposely added incorrect data so that the poster could indeed be identified as NOT an original and she was one of the first to remark that there was something wrong with the poster

keep in mind, Diane's job is to restore posters and that's what she did. It was only during the process when the asshole who sent her the poster had asked her to add the poster data at bottom that she thought there could be something hinky, so she added the wrong data.. she did her job and does not deserve any revilement for her role

might I note that she was sued by the asshole in New Jersey - Thomas Riga (sic) - for damages when he was unable to sell the poster at Profiles due to his fraud and amazingly he won, though not so amazingly as she failed to get an attorney in New Jersey to defend her. As a result she has a $300,000 judgement against her, when she did nothing wrong
  • and let us not forget that John Davis at Poster Mountain was tasked with authenticating the Dracula poster for Profiles in History and that even though one of the originals existing was a mere 15-20 miles away, he failed to do a proper comparison and when the poster was declared a fake, John stated "I'll bet my life" that the poster is authentic and fought against those of us who believed otherwise for almost 2 weeks until agreeing that he was wrong
  • Good synopsis Rich...I am amazed misinformation is still being bandied about after all this time
  • I'll leave it.  But I know the story - doesn't change my feelings that it was still shady.
  • Charlie said:
    I'll leave it.  But I know the story - doesn't change my feelings that it was still shady.
    The S2 Dracula was absolutely shady...but according to what is known it was not Diane's doing
  • CSM said:
    The S2 Dracula was absolutely shady...but according to what is known it was not Diane's doing
    100% correct.

Charlie, you do know there is a difference between doing your job (linenbacking posters) and purposely making something look like something it is not.

Diane did the former and not the latter. She should be applauded for how she handled it.
  • She should have said no.
  • edited May 2014
    you don't know what you're talking about Charlie. She was asked to linenback a poster
    she did so.
    that's her job.

she was asked to change data as the job was reaching it's finish and that she did not do.

if anyone in that story aside from Thomas Riga is worthy of criticism, it's John Davis whose lackadaisical attitude in the issue resulted in embarrassment for Profiles.

It might also be noted that John did additional restoration to a couple of other Jaime fakes and had no idea they were fakes.
    it would be humorous if it wasn't so serious

• and of course, I do mean that in the friendliest way

:-*
  • Charlie said:
    She should have said no.
  • and of course, I do mean that in the friendliest way

:-*
    No problem. We are all entitled to our opinions.  I understand she did the right thing in the end, which means a lot.  But she could have nipped it in the bud right off.
  • Charlie, she did nothing wrong at any point
    not when it was submitted or any other time

if someone sends you an S2 for backing and possible restoration, you do it
    that's what she did.
    after the poster was on linen, she was asked to replicate authentic Dracula information to the poster and she declined and added false information

she is in business to restore posters. That means posters of all kinds. When she was asked later to do something that didn't seem right, she declined.
    This is no more or no less than she should have done at any point
    I don't understand how anyone can think she did something wrong. It's inane

• I know the law tends to be more about interpretation than facts but I would have thought if she made no other profit from the restoration of the poster (other than her standard fee) then her innocence is somewhat proved...that said, and I am sure she regrets it, but no point turning up to court without legal support and with all due respects to her (I don't know her to call her this) but that is just plain stupid.
  • edited May 2014
    Charlie, she did nothing wrong at any point
    not when it was submitted or any other time

if someone sends you an S2 for backing and possible restoration, you do it
    that's what she did.
    after the poster was on linen, she was asked to replicate authentic Dracula information to the poster and she declined and added false information

she is in business to restore posters. That means posters of all kinds. When she was asked later to do something that didn't seem right, she declined.
    This is no more or no less than she should have done at any point
    I don't understand how anyone can think she did something wrong. It's inane

Like I said I understand your thoughts on this.  But you guys all crucify Mendez and he was just doing what he was asked to...  Just like you say above.  I guess if I was only thinking with my back pocket in mind it makes sense.  But these guys are a first defense for fakes and repros trying to be passed off.  I don't understand why if she was asked to add the number at the bottom, why she didn't either simply said no that is not within my comfort zone in regards to the shops integrity or said sure I'll add the S2 information back for you.  She had a choice just like Mendez had a choice.
  • He was the restorer for one of my WC. He did a great...great job.
  • Got before and after pics Rosa?
  • Will try to dig them out Matt. Sure.
  • Cheers.
  • How long do you typically wait for your poster to be backed? I'm approaching week 8 & and hate to bug as it might invoke rush work and not be a top quality finish 
  • Matt has been waiting 60 weeks now...  Art takes serious time.  

I would think a professional restorer would turn stuff around in less than three months especially if they are busy getting Heritage's posters ready.
  • Sven, time to bug them - your the customer.

Dario will turn stuff around 3-4 weeks, 8 seems long.
  •  
    David said:

Dario will turn stuff around 3-4 weeks, 8 seems long.
    Sadly, 8 weeks plus plus plus is not at all unusual these days. I have had many people tell me about the unreasonable amount of time it takes to get things done and they often say they won't get anything backed again. I can understand how they feel and I rarely get anything backed myself these days.